Space for Guys & their Hermès

I find that card holders with external slots tend to look kind of ugly with credit cards or cash sticking out of the slots. I use the Envelope MM as a wallet and find it perfect. Holds a couple cards and a few folded bills (may not fit Euros). And it looks the same whether empty or full. Comes in mysore or sometimes Barenia.

I’ve been using card holders for the longest time and want to switch to a traditional bi-fold for that very reason. It’s gotta be a super slim bi-fold though. I carry 5 cards and a few bills in front pocket, so not a loaded wallet :smile:

Haha that makes 3 of use that want to switch for the same reason! I actually used to own the envelope mm in barenia but I just...want something different which is why I want the small poker.

Haha that makes 3 of use that want to switch for the same reason! I actually used to own the envelope mm in barenia but I just...want something different which is why I want the small poker.

The small poker is cool, but the more I think about it, the internal money clip could be a nuisance. I might be better off with a bi-fold that has the traditional full length note compartment. Hermes makes some nice ones, i.e. the MC2 Copernic, but it’s quite large and has more slots than I need. The MC2 Edison is smaller, but has that unsightly ID window on one inner side. I may have to go bespoke route, then I can get some gator without paying the high designer prices :smile:

The small poker is cool, but the more I think about it, the internal money clip could be a nuisance. I might be better off with a bi-fold that has the traditional full length note compartment. Hermes makes some nice ones, i.e. the MC2 Copernic, but it’s quite large and has more slots than I need. The MC2 Edison is smaller, but has that unsightly ID window on one inner side. I may have to go bespoke route, then I can get some gator without paying the high designer prices :smile:

You do have a point! I'm gonna go into the store and try it out. I've never used a bill clip style like that before so I'm worried as well. But I sold my citizen twill billfold because of how bulky it was lol. Ahhh decisions decisions...

Also, have you looked into this wallet? It's a hefty price but it's really nice! And they have a few different colors too.

https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/manhattan-compact-wallet-small-model-H070564CAAA/

Last edited:
You do have a point! I'm gonna go into the store and try it out. I've never used a bill clip style like that before so I'm worried as well. But I sold my citizen twill billfold because of how bulky it was lol. Ahhh decisions decisions...

Also, have you looked into this wallet? It's a hefty price but it's really nice! And they have a few different colors too.

https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/manhattan-compact-wallet-small-model-H070564CAAA/

I bought this money clip wallet a while back and sold it. The internal clip was a nuisance, especially when using cards more often than money. That being said, the Poker is off my list.

https://mitchell-leather.com/collections/money-clip-wallets

The Manhattan is nice, but looks a little bulky.

I bought this money clip wallet a while back and sold it. The internal clip was a nuisance, especially when using cards more often than money. That being said, the Poker is off my list.

https://mitchell-leather.com/collections/money-clip-wallets

The Manhattan is nice, but looks a little bulky.
There is also the mini model for the Manhattan: https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/manhattan-wallet-mini-model-H070988CAAA/

It has fewer slots/pockets so it may work better for someone who carries less than 6 cards and a little cash. However I have not tried it in person and it probably can't handle larger format bills like Euros.

I couldn't come to love the Calvi because I find the two slots to be too spacious. It looks too "puffy" and my few cards rattle around too much inside. A friend uses one but he carries 10 cards and some cash so it fills out better but that is way too thick for me.

The Euclide card holder is nice when I want to go minimal with 4 card slots and 2 flat pockets. It works for me because I carry 5 cards and a little bit of cash (or I'll use a money clip for the cash). However, it is hard to find one in a decent colour and leather these days. Lately, Hermès has been putting out jungle or colorblocked Euclides so finding a plain one will be a challenge.

I use an Enveloppe MM occasionally. It works well for a few cards and a little bit of cash. It works better with US cash because the bills are paper and fold flat. The bills stay in place well because they have some texture. It doesn't work that well with Canadian cash because the bills are polymer and they tend to bulge even when I try to fold them flat. The polymer bills are also slick and don't stay in place that well. I tend to use a money clip when I use the Enveloppe.

Another alternative is the Bearn cardholder but it will be thicker than the Manhattan mini because it has two gusseted pockets and the iconic Bearn hardware/strap. This one will also be a challenge to find. There is also the Bearn mini which is similar but has a snap pocket in place of one of the gusseted pockets so a touch thicker than the cardholder.

Most luxury brands have similar models to the Manhattan mini and Euclide card holders. Best to find something that works for you whether it's Hermès or not. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:
There is also the mini model for the Manhattan: https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/manhattan-wallet-mini-model-H070988CAAA/

It has fewer slots/pockets so it may work better for someone who carries less than 6 cards and a little cash. However I have not tried it in person and it probably can't handle larger format bills like Euros.

I couldn't come to love the Calvi because I find the two slots to be too spacious. It looks too "puffy" and my few cards rattle around too much inside. A friend uses one but he carries 10 cards and some cash so it fills out better but that is way too thick for me.

The Euclide card holder is nice when I want to go minimal with 4 card slots and 2 flat pockets. It works for me because I carry 5 cards and a little bit of cash (or I'll use a money clip for the cash). However, it is hard to find one in a decent colour and leather these days. Lately, Hermès has been putting out jungle or colorblocked Euclides so finding a plain one will be a challenge.

I use an Enveloppe MM occasionally. It works well for a few cards and a little bit of cash. It works better with US cash because the bills are paper and fold flat. The bills stay in place well because they have some texture. It doesn't work that well with Canadian cash because the bills are polymer and they tend to bulge even when I try to fold them flat. The polymer bills are also slick and don't stay in place that well. I tend to use a money clip when I use the Enveloppe.

Another alternative is the Bearn cardholder but it will be thicker than the Manhattan mini because it has two gusseted pockets and the iconic Bearn hardware/strap. This one will also be a challenge to find. There is also the Bearn mini which is similar but has a snap pocket in place of one of the gusseted pockets so a touch thicker than the cardholder.

Most luxury brands have similar models to the Manhattan mini and Euclide card holders. Best to find something that works for you whether it's Hermès or not. I hope this helps. Good luck.

This helps a lot! I have plenty of card holders, but the Euclide looks really nice.

I’m looking for a traditional, slim, top loading billfold wallet. Something that is about 4”x3” max. Hermès has a few, i.e. the Citizen Twill and MC2 Copernic, but they are too large.

I’ll find something eventually. It doesn’t have to be a designer brand. To get a little off topic, I may have one custom made by a leather artisan located in Texas. He was trained by a former Hermès artisan and does high quality bespoke work. He uses Chèvre Mysore. This is a goatskin that Hermès also uses. One of his specialities is working with American Alligator vertical cut belly with the exposed umbilical scar. Hermès constructs their gator wallets with this cut. There’s a lot of work that goes into constructing a wallet with this cut of the gator.

Yeah, I have the MC2 Euclide too though I haven’t actually used it. (its Lime alligator, so I’m afraid of it getting stained, which of course beats the whole point of having it). And yeah, its a pretty common design pattern – I know Louis Vuitton has one. It’s a bit thicker than the Envelope though. If they only made the Envelope in exotics...

Yeah, I have the MC2 Euclide too though I haven’t actually used it. (its Lime alligator, so I’m afraid of it getting stained, which of course beats the whole point of having it). And yeah, its a pretty common design pattern – I know Louis Vuitton has one. It’s a bit thicker than the Envelope though. If they only made the Envelope in exotics...

so honest and too true

I’d love to see a picture of your MC2 Euclide lime alligator card holder. Alligator is very durable, especially matte finish, so don’t be afraid to rock it, even though it’s a piece of art :smile:

American Alligator vertical cut belly with exposed umbilical scar is so amazing. That’s what Hermès and my leather artisan in Texas uses.