Sneaker Problems

alchemist1

Nov 4, 2013
Dear Forum, I bought these sneakers just a few months ago in Europe and have worn them a couple of times - mind you, I do baby my shoes (and bags) and was shocked to see the leather was peeling off on the edge... I plan on bringing them back to the boutique. I was wondering if you have had similar experience and what kind of solution Chanel has offered as it is clearly not a normal "wear and tear". I love the design and am very disappointed of the "quality"...

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I have a lot of chanel shoes and very very rarely experience any issues because like you I baby my items and take care of them very well. I did notice some quality issues with some of my older sneakers from around 2018-2019 but no issues with any recent pairs. I took a pair to the boutique in 2019 which had an issue (it was purchased maybe around a year before and worn a few times). It was sent to Paris for assessment and they fixed it free of charge and the shoes came back looking brand new (the process took around 2 months). I had a recent issue with a fault on a pair of sandals after it was worn once. It was taken in for inspection and returned fixed after around 2 months again. I personally find the after sales care very good for shoes and raw (I am yet to experience handbag after sales care). Even with rtw - I am very particular about maintaining my items. They will always fix everything from buttons falling off, to care labels coming off, pulls in the tweed - even if I have purchased from another boutique or abroad. I don't mind at all that it takes time because I am happy that its being taken care of properly.

I would assume they will take the shoes in for inspection and then offer a repair. If the issue cannot be fixed and its deemed to be a manufacturing fault then I would assume you will get a credit note for the value of the item.

Reactions: alchemist1
Thank you so much for your replies!

Yes, I've attached a zoom out picture of the one shoe. The defect is obviously less visible there, but still can be clearly identified... And the shoes being just a few months old and me having them babied and worn only a few times, I don't find this to be a normal wear and tear problem. I've worn Hermes, Dior und Gucci shoes for years and none of them have showed similar defects...

Attachments

• IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 51
Thank you so much for your replies!

Yes, I've attached a zoom out picture of the one shoe. The defect is obviously less visible there, but still can be clearly identified... And the shoes being just a few months old and me having them babied and worn only a few times, I don't find this to be a normal wear and tear problem. I've worn Hermes, Dior und Gucci shoes for years and none of them have showed similar defects...
Do you own other suede shoes? They can be quite delicate when it comes to abrasion. I have a suede pair of boots that have visible abrasion from using galoshes a single time with them.

Have you used a suede brush yet to fix the nap? I don’t really see an issue in your second photo.

As for wearing it a few times; it only takes one nudge against an object to permanently damage the uppers. (Which has happened to quite a few of my nubuck shoes over the years)

I’d be interested to hear what Chanel provides as feedback.

Agree with @Christofle suede is on the more delicate side and a scuff can definitely take off the beautiful soft "fuzz" on top.

Your green suede shoes remind me of a pair I got from my grandmother when I was 10 (not Chanel of course) and I happily ran around it in the rain. The result was a lot of water damage :facepalm:, shrinking, and being unable to wear the shoes ever again.
(Fortunately, I was not in trouble, my grandmother didn't seem upset, though I never did get another pair of leather shoes from her :lol:).

To this day, I do not baby my shoes. And I love suede boots and heels. They are comfortable and luxurious. I just think it comes with the territory. And if I see a scuff I'll do my best with a suede brush, and live with it.

Also, that area on the corner is a prime crease spot for many sneakers and shoes. It will bear most of the stress as we walk and push off our toes from the ground.

• Insightful
Reactions: Christofle
Thank you for your replies. Yes, I own several other suede shoes (by Loro Piana etc.) and have never experienced such problems. The peeling of the leather is clearly visible on the first picture (s. the red ring). I understand that suede is more delicate than other types of leather, but peeling and cracking shouldn't be the case after only few times of wearing them. I've attached a zoom in picture. I will bring them back to the boutique and see what can be done.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 0006-03-25 um 19.24.37.png
    Bildschirmfoto 0006-03-25 um 19.24.37.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 28
Having seen the close up I agree that this could be from abrasion. My trainers even the slightest abrasion results in loss of colour from the suede. Even today my toddler kicked the top of my suede trainer with her shoe and it took a layer of the pink dye off. I usually just brush the area lightly and it blends the colour loss out slightl. This has happened to every suede trainers I own through normal use so I think it’s inevitable and it’s due to the way they dye the leather. Agree also the LP suede doesn’t not behave in the same way at all - prone to marks especially light colour but not scuff or colour loss like Chanel suede

I know it’s disappointing, though the good news is that you can have these cleaned and repaired at some point. Rago Brothers does a great job on sneakers, and they will color match. They are fairly local to me, but I’m sure you can check out others that have been recommended on this forum.