Skin care for 10 year old daughter who is beginning puberty

Sternchen

O.G.
May 16, 2006
My 10 year old is beginning puberty and is getting more and more pimples in her face. They are not that bad, but she feels like everyone is looking at her when she has a pimple on her face.

I was thinking of getting her the Clinique 3-Step Skincare System for oily skin.

I never really had pimples while going through puberty. I got a few of those deep, nasty ones that never came to a head, but hardly ever had real pimples. Since my eldest daughter is adopted, I can't say if her skin will be like mine or not. But the way it seems: she's going to be dealing with pimples.

Do you guys think the 3-Step system is a bit too harsh for her skin? I used the system in my late teens and loved it. It worked really well for me!

What would you recommend for a young girl?

Right now she just washes her face with water and a light cleanser and then uses Bebe cream on her face (when she remembers).

I wrote a reply and its gone :pout:

Ok again..

I think Clinique is too harsh for her skin.

Get her a small face brush but make sure she brushes lightly so as not to aggravate her skin.

Check if her BB cream is oil free, it might be triggering her acne. Opt for a light, oil free, fragrance free moisturizer from neutrogena instead.

For the pimples, she should not touch them and get her some topical benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid (neutogena or Johnson & Johnson). Some cleansers contain sal acid, but I don't recommend them as they could be drying.

Edit - those topical gels will dry the pimple out. If it bursts, she should use neosporin / polypsporin instead.

My 10 year old is beginning puberty and is getting more and more pimples in her face. They are not that bad, but she feels like everyone is looking at her when she has a pimple on her face.

I was thinking of getting her the Clinique 3-Step Skincare System for oily skin.

I never really had pimples while going through puberty. I got a few of those deep, nasty ones that never came to a head, but hardly ever had real pimples. Since my eldest daughter is adopted, I can't say if her skin will be like mine or not. But the way it seems: she's going to be dealing with pimples.

Do you guys think the 3-Step system is a bit too harsh for her skin? I used the system in my late teens and loved it. It worked really well for me!

What would you recommend for a young girl?

Right now she just washes her face with water and a light cleanser and then uses Bebe cream on her face (when she remembers).

My daughter is 10 as well. She has been using Clinique's liquid facial soap for oily skin, mild Clarifying Lotion, and the Dramatically Different Moisture Gel for about a year now. Her skin stays pretty clear, but if she gets a pimple I put a little bit of the Clinique benzoyl peroxide cream on it and it goes away fairly quickly.

My 13 year old son experiences breakouts more often so he's using Clinique's acne line which helps tremendously. His acne pretty much went away when he started using the products on a regular basis.

Good luck!

My daughter is 10 as well. She has been using Clinique's liquid facial soap for oily skin, mild Clarifying Lotion, and the Dramatically Different Moisture Gel for about a year now. Her skin stays pretty clear, but if she gets a pimple I put a little bit of the Clinique benzoyl peroxide cream on it and it goes away fairly quickly.

My 13 year old son experiences breakouts more often so he's using Clinique's acne line which helps tremendously. His acne pretty much went away when he started using the products on a regular basis.

Good luck!

Thanks Hermes!

I have the benzoyl peroxide cream from Clinique, too, and I've put it on her bumps a few times. They seem to clear up pretty fast.

I saw that they have starter kits for Clinique that don't cost too much, so we may just buy one of those and see how it works for her. I know pimples are part of puberty, but a good facial routine can help prevent at least some of them!

I have two teens. My son had horrible acne for years. Went to eight dermatologists and tried so many products both retail and prescription. So many things did not work. For both of them I started to use Www.paulaschoice.com products. Their Clear line is great. They had sensitive skin for acne products that Were good. Their cleansers are great. my kids use a cleanser and toner before adding other products and I think adding a toner made a big difference. I use their Resist weekly resurfacing mask myself and my son has used it too and it faded all his acne scars.
I think having a proper cleansing routine is important. I have seen some of my friends kids go to sleep with just splashing water on their face and saying they washed their face.

My daughter is allergic to sulfur/sulfate so any acne products with this will make her skin worse. Clinique was too harsh for her skin, something made her red and itch with the three step program.

Www.DHC.com has good products too. They had a powdered rice cleanser that worked well. You mix it with water in your palm. Their stuff is pretty gentle for your skin.

I think if you start a good routine and stick to it perhaps things will not get worse. It was a nightmare for my son. Every doctor said this product would work and most dried out his skin so it peeled and was raw. He was on antibiotics too. He has sensitive skin and eventually had to go on Accutane which was something I never wanted to do. No child should have to suffer like that.

Last edited:
I have two teens. My son had horrible acne for years. Went to eight dermatologists and tried so many products both retail and prescription. So many things did not work. For both of them I started to use http://Www.paulaschoice.com products. Their Clear line is great. They had sensitive skin for acne products that Were good. Their cleansers are great. my kids use a cleanser and toner before adding other products and I think adding a toner made a big difference. I use their Resist weekly resurfacing mask myself and my son has used it too and it faded all his acne scars.
I think having a proper cleansing routine is important. I have seen some of my friends kids go to sleep with just splashing water on their face and saying they washed their face.

My daughter is allergic to sulfur/sulfate so any acne products with this will make her skin worse. Clinique was too harsh for her skin, something made her red and itch with the three step program.

http://Www.DHC.com has good products too. They had a powdered rice cleanser that worked well. You mix it with water in your palm. Their stuff is pretty gentle for your skin.

I think if you start a good routine and stick to it perhaps things will not get worse. It was a nightmare for my son. Every doctor said this product would work and most dried out his skin so it peeled and was raw. He was on antibiotics too. He has sensitive skin and eventually had to go on Accutane which was something I never wanted to do. No child should have to suffer like that.

Thank you for the links! I bookmarked both of them and will take a closer look after I clean up my kitchen.

I'm sorry your son had such a rough time! A good friend of mine from HS had really bad acne and went on accutane. Really dried her out, but she had the most perfect skin I'd ever seen.

I would try herbalism or Angels on bare skin from lush cosmetics. More natural products but very effective. They will give you samples if you ask so it doesn't hurt to go in and try. These products changed my skin.

Love Lush products. My kids hated the skin cleansers that you would to scoop out of their little black tub. I think the one with the seaweed on it freaked then both out. I myself love these products and wish I had a Lush store near me o I did not have o mail order things. I would love to try their fresh masks. My son did use the black soap and the pink soap for acne. Forgot the names but both my kids like a pump cleanser or foaming one versus a bar of soap.

I also change their pillowcases once every two days. Dermatologist said it will help.

Www.lush.com

Reactions: Chanellover2015
I think BB cream et al is a little much for a 10 yr old personally. My DD started breaking out at 11, mostly forehead. I took her to dermatologist and she recommended either CeraVe or Cetaphil wash and gave us prescription for EpiDuo for her T-zone. It cleared her right up and the tube lasted her a year.
She's almost 13 now and is starting to use a tinted moisturizer and has tried BB creams. I just don't like seeing it covering the young skin :-s

Reactions: Kansashalo
I think BB cream et al is a little much for a 10 yr old personally. My DD started breaking out at 11, mostly forehead. I took her to dermatologist and she recommended either CeraVe or Cetaphil wash and gave us prescription for EpiDuo for her T-zone. It cleared her right up and the tube lasted her a year.
She's almost 13 now and is starting to use a tinted moisturizer and has tried BB creams. I just don't like seeing it covering the young skin :-s

It's not a BB cream, it's a regular mild facial cream from the (european) brand Bebe :smile: She's not allowed to wear any sort of makeup.

I wrote a reply and its gone :pout:

Ok again..

I think Clinique is too harsh for her skin.

Get her a small face brush but make sure she brushes lightly so as not to aggravate her skin.

Check if her BB cream is oil free, it might be triggering her acne. Opt for a light, oil free, fragrance free moisturizer from neutrogena instead.

For the pimples, she should not touch them and get her some topical benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid (neutogena or Johnson & Johnson). Some cleansers contain sal acid, but I don't recommend them as they could be drying.

Edit - those topical gels will dry the pimple out. If it bursts, she should use neosporin / polypsporin instead.
what about 12 year olds? my kid has been using the all about clean, clarifying lotion 2 and hydrating jelly. we asked a person if it was too harsh but I think she thought my daughter was older as she is quite tall