Show me your Straw, Raffia, Wicker - SUMMER bags!!!

Hello there!
Are there any specific types of straw or rattan bags that are particularly trendy or popular right now? I'm interested in staying up to date with the latest trends in this fashion niche.
I’m not one to follow the trends too closely, but I feel like Chloe is having a moment. Maybe more than one! In addition to their Woody tote, I’ve seen a lot of their straw/raffia bags around lately, both where I live locally and when I travel. The Loewe basket is a classic, but I still consider it modern, if that makes any sense.

I'm on this weird woven fiber obsession right now and am hunting and researching a summer bag of this nature. On my way to me is a bal raffia hobo with ostrich trim and a furla north south basket weave tote made of which fiber I don't really know (because it was 15 Eur shipping included).

I will post pics once I receive them.

I almost put my money down for a Loewe shell basket tote, but then got cold feet because I didn't like that it has no closure and it seemed a bit small for a beach bag....although I'm still thinking about it!

Without seeing most of the bags in person, I worry about the fragility of these types of bags. I think raffia is most sturdy but I think they might also less structured?

I want a biggish sized shell/fan shaped structured tote with some form of closure and/or a bucket bag that can be worn crossbody. I need a brand that I can eventually resell when I get over my basket kick, which I know I will hahahaha. I feel like I'll be on the hunt for a while!

For reference this is a furla tote I'm still thinking about buying, but the quality of the straw looks terrible.
Screenshot_20230608_181538_Chrome.jpg

Whereas this one from Loewe is made from elephant grass and is obviously in much better quality...I just hate that it has no enclosure and the size is a bit smaller than I like.

Screenshot_20230608_181604_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: papertiger
I’m not one to follow the trends too closely, but I feel like Chloe is having a moment. Maybe more than one! In addition to their Woody tote, I’ve seen a lot of their straw/raffia bags around lately, both where I live locally and when I travel. The Loewe basket is a classic, but I still consider it modern, if that makes any sense.
Thanks a lot! Gotta check these out

I'm on this weird woven fiber obsession right now and am hunting and researching a summer bag of this nature. On my way to me is a bal raffia hobo with ostrich trim and a furla north south basket weave tote made of which fiber I don't really know (because it was 15 Eur shipping included).

I almost put my money down for a Loewe shell basket tote, but then got cold feet because I didn't like that it has no closure and it seemed a bit small for a beach bag....although I'm still thinking about it!

Without seeing most of the bags in person, I worry about the fragility of these types of bags. I think raffia is most sturdy but I think they might also less structured?

I want a biggish sized shell/fan shaped structured tote with some form of closure and/or a bucket bag that can be worn crossbody. I need a brand that I can eventually resell when I get over my basket kick, which I know I will hahahaha. I feel like I'll be on the hunt for a while!

For reference this is a furla tote I'm still thinking about buying, but the quality of the straw looks terrible.
View attachment 5797868

Whereas this one from Loewe is made from elephant grass and is obviously in much better quality...I just hate that it has no enclosure and the size is a bit smaller than I like.

View attachment 5797867
Can't wait for the pics!

• Love
Reactions: platinum_babie
Thanks a lot! Gotta check these out
I get a lot of retailer email (who doesn’t?!) and a few others I’ve had my eye on and want to check out are YSL and Jimmy Choo; both have some nice, new raffia/straw bags. Bother Vellies was another I saw recently in a Saks email that I was drawn to, but it was more hobo basket than tote basket (if that makes sense!), and I’m more of a tote person. And there are some new Loewe versions I like, too. Radically different price points, but depending on what you’re looking for, maybe one of these will work? If you like the Loewe basket, then Poolside has similar options that are about half the price (less, if you find them on sale!). BTB is another option, but I have to admit those appeal to me less. They’re heavier than I would prefer and something about them seems just… flimsy to me. HTH!

This brand has been written up in vogue etc recently

i just bought a couple for something different :smile:
IMG_1244.jpegIMG_1243.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 5797868

View attachment 5797867

IMO, they can take a beating. These were the original shopping bags people went to market with. However, I don't think people need to go luxury, there are lots of great raffia, wicker, straw and other woven fibre bags that are just as good without the logo. If the style or there's a lot of leather within the design, then yes, it's a bit more understandable to go designer.

IMO, they can take a beating. These were the original shopping bags people went to market with. However, I don't think people need to go luxury, there are lots of great raffia, wicker, straw and other woven fibre bags that are just as good without the logo. If the style or there's a lot of leather within the design, then yes, it's a bit more understandable to go designer.

I totally agree - I just got the furla tote that i bought for 15 eur and the quality is so awesome! will post pics when i get a chance!

This caught my eye and thought would be nice for summer but I know clutches not really all that practical. Mad at myself for not snatching up when My Theresa had at discounted price - now this color seems to be sold out everywhere. It also comes in fuschia and a pretty blue color but for some reason I like the natural/white the best.
1687265863137.png1687265879666.png

Reactions: celine666666
This caught my eye and thought would be nice for summer but I know clutches not really all that practical. Mad at myself for not snatching up when My Theresa had at discounted price - now this color seems to be sold out everywhere. It also comes in fuschia and a pretty blue color but for some reason I like the natural/white the best.
View attachment 5805909View attachment 5805911
Nothing against the aesthetics of this bag, but in general I really don't like having the name of the brand stitched in large block letters on the bag. I dont understand this trend nor it's aesthetics. The attempted irony is really lost on me.

• Love
Reactions: Sparkletastic