Shout Out To Gallery Rare (Japan)

BareniaKelly

Jan 24, 2024
I just want to give a shout out to Gallery Rare. Legit Grail concluded that a bag I bought from them was a fake. Personally, other than the feel of the leather, I thought everything else was OK. With at least another of Legit Grail's Loewe assessments that consider a bag a fake based on the fonts and formatting of their interior branding, I did wonder if Legit Grail is playing it super safe, and if a false negative is happening. Either way, the feel of the leather continued to bother me so I returned the item. Gallery Rare has been great throughout. Given that no matter where you shop, if you shop preloved this is the risk we must take, the real deal with these stores is in their return policy. On that front, I can highly recommend this store. Counter-fitting is highly illegal in Japan. But for now, they have yet to be able to protect themselves 100% from certain items coming into Japan from elsewhere. Let us hope their professionalism in this case, is not going to be further abused by criminalities in the future.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
I just want to give a shout out to Gallery Rare. Legit Grail concluded that a bag I bought from them was a fake. Personally, other than the feel of the leather, I thought everything else was OK. With at least another of Legit Grail's Loewe assessments that consider a bag a fake based on the fonts and formatting of their interior branding, I did wonder if Legit Grail is playing it super safe, and if a false negative is happening. Either way, the feel of the leather continued to bother me so I returned the item. Gallery Rare has been great throughout. Given that no matter where you shop, if you shop preloved this is the risk we must take, the real deal with these stores is in their return policy. On that front, I can highly recommend this store. Counter-fitting is highly illegal in Japan. But for now, they have yet to be able to protect themselves 100% from certain items coming into Japan from elsewhere. Let us hope their professionalism in this case, is not going to be further abused by criminalities in the future.
I have purchased Chanel from them twice -- both were legit items and both times excellent service. Glad to hear they are still professional several years later and took it back readily. Always good to find honest and professional secondhand sellers.

I’m glad to hear that the business treated you well as a customer. Not speaking about the bag in question that you returned, but just a general note about legit grails.
I saw them recommended a lot on social media as a good authentication service, and since their prices are so low I thought I would give them a try with several of my own items. I tested 3 items and they were wrong about two of them. 2 were items that I purchased directly from the boutique, they said one was fake. Another item I had on hand because I had purchased it and the seller swapped out the Hermes item in the listing for a very fake version (I already had this item authenticated as counterfeit professionally to expedite the return) and legit grails said it was authentic.

I’m glad to hear that the business treated you well as a customer. Not speaking about the bag in question that you returned, but just a general note about legit grails.
I saw them recommended a lot on social media as a good authentication service, and since their prices are so low I thought I would give them a try with several of my own items. I tested 3 items and they were wrong about two of them. 2 were items that I purchased directly from the boutique, they said one was fake. Another item I had on hand because I had purchased it and the seller swapped out the Hermes item in the listing for a very fake version (I already had this item authenticated as counterfeit professionally to expedite the return) and legit grails said it was authentic.
I have heard the exact same from friends who used this service.

To be honest, looking at their "report", I began to wonder myself. The problem with rudimentary report for a relatively small fee to get you to upgrade to a higher priced services is that it is very basic by design. The report is so basic that there is no way for us to cross check their considerations using our own observations using their expertise as a guide. You have to take their word for it. I

For example. One simply says the branding is not consistent with our database. How? In what way?

Their certificate of observation failed to be sufficiently informative about what we are looking at. So we can not cross check using our own observations and judgements.

For items that cost thousands, this margin of error is too large. Not to mention the hurt it can cause so many reputable sellers and resellers, who have worked hard for years to build their reputations and their own processes for controlling quality and authentications of their items.

This made me rethink the whole idea of a "professional authenticator".

For now I have decided that groups of non profit making collectors and enthusiasts in forums like this is still the best way. The process is transparent, the reasonings explained, and there is no motivation for financial gain. But sadly since it is an open forum it means it is also open for counter-fitters to educate themselves on how to make better fakes.

Sorry not offering any solution here. But more sharing caution perhaps. Just because a paid authenticator said it is a fake, unless they can explain and show us why this is a justified and valid conclusion, we might not want to immediately smear a seller or reseller especially if they have a long history of good will and reputation for good faith.

Ultimately I have concluded that you own knowledge of a product is still essential.

Personally I still advocate using your own hand-feel as one of the best way to know. But we have to REALLY know the product to do it this way. So it goes back to us and our knowledge again.

Reactions: nicole0612
I have heard the exact same from friends who used this service.
Oh dear. Now I am wondering if I have returned a genuine article saying it is a fake. I did tell them who I used to authenticate this as a way to have accountability.

I have another preloved bag coming, and I am not going to bother authenticating. The model is old so I can no longer buy them directly from the boutique. Something I always do whenever I can, just because it is just too much time and mental space to sort out authenticities.

The whole checking on fonts of brands on the inside of the bags I think is a pretty rubbish standard when not coupled with a clear show and tell on HOW these are considered so.

You can not authenticate and keep how you authenticate as a trade's secret, without throwing away accountability as well.

I'll have to trust my eyes and hands once the bag arrived. Since it is from 7 or so years ago, I hope it is still made from the design house's leather which I have come to be very familiar with.

I trust certain authenticators and I trust common sense. For the designers I know well, there are indeed small details that give away counterfeits. The really good authenticators are in constant study of these details. With recent bags (past 5-10 years) unfortunately counterfeiters have gotten hold of a few of these "tells" for certain brands.

Nonetheless, per the topic, glad to hear Gallery Rare were accepting of the return. The important thing is that customers feel comfortable in a purchase.

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
I trust certain authenticators and I trust common sense. For the designers I know well, there are indeed small details that give away counterfeits. The really good authenticators are in constant study of these details. With recent bags (past 5-10 years) unfortunately counterfeiters have gotten hold of a few of these "tells" for certain brands.

Nonetheless, per the topic, glad to hear Gallery Rare were accepting of the return. The important thing is that customers feel comfortable in a purchase.

Yes. I suppose a side subject in need of its own thread perhaps, is the matter of paid / professional authenticators.

It is easier for buyers like me to play it safe, and agreed that an item is no authentic, then return it for a refund. But if this item is in fact authentic, all I have is a disappointment and a lot of wasted time talking to customs, and resellers. However, something like this will cost resellers more, because they won't only lose money, but potentially also reputation. Which in turn can cost them their business. This is not something people are not aware of. From my quick research, it seems like almost everyone is aware of this, and some, have taken advantage of it.

Which goes back to my original post here.

Although I have decided to return the item, and a paid authenticator is part of that equation, I still believe in this seller's reputation. Which brought us around to the role of paid authenticators and what cautions we must have in engaging their paid services, or in choosing which to engage, as an informed consumer.