Shopbop return warning

I think they need to have a system for returns that is more specific (TBH I've never purchased from them so if they have this already my apologies). If the item that you purchase doesn't fit, isn't as pictured, damaged, bad quality, or anything else that signifies that THEY could have done more on their part to have you be satisfied with the item then it shouldn't be held against you for returning. But if you're returning because you just simply didn't like it and that is the reason for the majority of your returns I think it's fair for them to "mark that against you" for the lack of better terminology.

Hmmmmm...
I am a major Shopbop customer also and I do a pretty sizable amount of returning. I didn't get this email (yet) but I got an invite to their VIP program so I am wondering what volume they base this on.

Personally I see nothing whatsoever wrong with ordering six dresses because you need one. Wouldn't you try on at least six in a department store to end up with one? Shopbop and their competitors want you to shop on their sites, not go to Barneys. So you order, you try, you return - Shopbop (which btw is owned by Amazon) charges $10 for returns that arrive after fifteen days so at most, your returned items are out of stock for 2-3 weeks. As long as you are careful with try-ons and return things neatly this seems like a sensible way to shop, on both sides.
If Shopbop were a department store, they'd be paying for retail space, utilities, the salespeople who would BRING you the items and theoretically help you choose, etc., etc. And you'd still have tried on six or more garments which would need to be re-hung and returned to racks. No, the items wouldn't be away for weeks, but have you read the horror stories about department store dressing rooms?

Not to mention what other posters have said - I too am a hard to fit size and it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell what is flattering or even good quality from any online photos. Net-a-porter does the best job of photographing clothes IMO yet I still return things that are very much not as pictured. (And no, I am not quitting online shopping.) The easier returns are, the more I am likely to use a site. (FWIW, for $25, NAP will hand-deliver a rack of clothing to you in NYC or London same-day, and come pick up whatever you don't want.)

I agree with prepster, it's the cost of doing business if you're an online retailer.

I respect differing perspectives and find it further interesting to hear about other people’s shopping habits. For me, I use sites like Net-a-porter, matchesfashion, mytheresa, etc. to get the measurements of garments so I can cut down on the need for returns. I’m not easy to fit either, but sites do give you information (you can also usually email them for additional info). I’ve become familiar with my shape, personal measurements, and fabrics to have a general sense of what will likely fit me or not. That’s not to say I don’t return, because I do, but doesn’t it take a lot to receive that kind of email? Maybe it’s because I hate to return so it’s hard for me to understand buying with the knowledge that I’ll return some or most of my purchases.

To be honest, I don’t try on six dresses at a department store. Usually I’ve already done my research and/or have an idea of what I want and will try on one to two pieces, three at most if something unexpected catches my eye. Again, not knocking anyone else’s shopping patterns, it just never occurred to me that someone would need so many options at a time.

Quality I agree is an important issue. If I’m not familiar with a brand I’ll try to go in store to get a feel for the fabric, or sometimes I’ll take a risk. However, the percentage of what I return because of quality versus what I keep is still small. I’m also curious about picture accuracy – usually my biggest problem is with bright colors, getting the shade correct. However, again checking multiple sites for pictures gives me a good idea of what to expect. I’ve never had an instance where a piece has been dramatically different from what I saw on screen. If it’s not too much trouble, could you give an example (genuinely curious)?

Last edited:

I wasn't replying to you directly. You shop the way I do. I look at things carefully on multiple sites to help ensure I'm getting what I want because I hate the hassle of returns. I'm inferring that some of the other posters, like love2bling, dislike online shopping because finding a proper fit is difficult. I also figured (and I could be incorrect but only the OP can comment on this) that the OP is not the biggest fan because she ends up returning the majority of the items she purchases. To me, that just sounds like one big pain in the tush and not so enjoyable. If you don't like their business practices the answer is quite simple, shop somewhere else.

But again, if the online retailers only budget x amount for returns and 1% is abusing that and skewing their numbers you can bet they're not going to say "let's lose money," they're going to pass the bill onto the 1% or to EVERYONE. The latter is definitely not fair.

Not sure how to interpret your "inference" to me so I'll simply say ... this is a forum where members are free to "express" thoughts as long as they are within the boundaries of the forum guidelines. If members are subjected to unnecessary criticism and attacks, such as yours, when they share experiences, the premise of the forum is denied. Also, I can assure you I'm a sound thinking, responsible adult, capable of making my own decisions, including how and where to shop. Have a wonderful day!

Not sure how to interpret your "inference" to me so I'll simply say ... this is a forum where members are free to "express" thoughts as long as they are within the boundaries of the forum guidelines. If members are subjected to unnecessary criticism and attacks, such as yours, when they share experiences, the premise of the forum is denied. Also, I can assure you I'm a sound thinking, responsible adult, capable of making my own decisions, including how and where to shop. Have a wonderful day!

Where am I criticizing or attacking you? I said nothing of the sort. I didn't say anything bad about you or how you choose to shop. I didn't even say I thought you were doing anything wrong! "One of my greatest challenges with online shopping is size and quality...Shopping is no longer a pleasant experience for me" (maybe rereading this now you didn't mean shopping online isn't pleasant but instead shopping in general and if so then I read what you wrote incorrectly!). To me, if I add those two points together I get that you don't particularly enjoy shopping online (unless what I said in the last () was correct and then my logic is off). Please tell me where I am attacking or criticizing you. Obviously if I connected the dots wrong you could kindly tell me so (we all make mistakes!), but there's no need to say that I'm attacking or criticizing you.

I am ALSO allowed to express my thoughts, but for some reason I'm being scolded for disagreeing. I didn't criticize or attack anyone. All I said is that I think excessive returning will lead to online retailers charging a fee to cover the costs and I think that it's more fair for them to pass the cost onto the ones who excessively return, not everyone.

That being said, I truly didn't mean to offend you, or anyone, in any way and if I did I really do apologize if your feelings got hurt.

Last edited:
Shopbop is being ridiculous! They pride themselves on offering items not sold elsewhere. There is no way a person not living in metro hub can try on before buying. And if I did try on why buy from shopbop? It's not like they are cheaper. I order jeans from them and every style of every brand is totally different!. The whole reason for online is fast returns. Convenience. They will lose customers,

Shopbop is being ridiculous! They pride themselves on offering items not sold elsewhere. There is no way a person not living in metro hub can try on before buying. And if I did try on why buy from shopbop? It's not like they are cheaper. I order jeans from them and every style of every brand is totally different!. The whole reason for online is fast returns. Convenience. They will lose customers,
Yup, I agree. I returned a pair of jeans last week described as running "a full size small" by both Shopbop and reviewers. I'm pretty small as is so ordered my normal size. GIGANTIC.
I also recently bought a pair of 7 for all Mankind flares that I loved so much I ordered the EXACT same pair again. Guess what? The inseam on one pair is 1.5 inches shorter than on the other! I kept them for wearing with differing heel heights, but sheesh.

Frankly, I don't think it's my responsibility to run all over the web checking out descriptions and photos so that I don't inconvenience a retailer. I KNOW I am a profitable customer for them (and have been for a decade or more). The point of online retail is convenience for the customer and profit to their bottom line, so, we both win.

I've been shopping with them for well over a decade. I buy (and keep) a lot, but also have my fair share of returns. I have not received either the nasty email or VIP email...so I'm curious to know what is their VIP program?
They are trialing a three- or four-tier loyalty program based on your yearly spend. The email I received said it was based on the prior year, but didn't specify if that meant 2016 or last 12 months, I am thinking 2016. I believe it is just a trial with a small number of users right now.
I believe the Platinum level of the loyalty program was an over $5k/year spend at Shopbop, but there was no minimum spend for Bronze membership and Silver membership was only $300/year or more.

Reactions: prepster
They are trialing a three- or four-tier loyalty program based on your yearly spend. The email I received said it was based on the prior year, but didn't specify if that meant 2016 or last 12 months, I am thinking 2016. I believe it is just a trial with a small number of users right now.
I believe the Platinum level of the loyalty program was an over $5k/year spend at Shopbop, but there was no minimum spend for Bronze membership and Silver membership was only $300/year or more.

Interesting. So what are the benefits/perks?

Where am I criticizing or attacking you? I said nothing of the sort. I didn't say anything bad about you or how you choose to shop. I didn't even say I thought you were doing anything wrong! "One of my greatest challenges with online shopping is size and quality...Shopping is no longer a pleasant experience for me" (maybe rereading this now you didn't mean shopping online isn't pleasant but instead shopping in general and if so then I read what you wrote incorrectly!). To me, if I add those two points together I get that you don't particularly enjoy shopping online (unless what I said in the last () was correct and then my logic is off). Please tell me where I am attacking or criticizing you. Obviously if I connected the dots wrong you could kindly tell me so (we all make mistakes!), but there's no need to say that I'm attacking or criticizing you.

I am ALSO allowed to express my thoughts, but for some reason I'm being scolded for disagreeing. I didn't criticize or attack anyone. All I said is that I think excessive returning will lead to online retailers charging a fee to cover the costs and I think that it's more fair for them to pass the cost onto the ones who excessively return, not everyone.

That being said, I truly didn't mean to offend you, or anyone, in any way and if I did I really do apologize if your feelings got hurt.

@ProShopper1 - I began my post with "I'm not sure how to interpret ...." which in my mind implies I wasn't sure what message you were attempting to convey to me. However, you began your original post with "If you hate online shopping so much stop doing it!" and later in the post"...people who abuse the liberal return policy like the OP..." and "limit the top abusers". I think most anyone would consider being referred to as "abusive" as not only critical but insulting as well.
My feelings are not hurt by an means and an apologizing to me, although accepted, is honestly not necessary. Sometimes "words" can have the affect of a sword, intentionally or not. Regardless, thank you for your reply and I truly hope you have a wonderful, blessed and happy day or evening!

@ProShopper1 - I began my post with "I'm not sure how to interpret ...." which in my mind implies I wasn't sure what message you were attempting to convey to me. However, you began your original post with "If you hate online shopping so much stop doing it!" and later in the post"...people who abuse the liberal return policy like the OP..." and "limit the top abusers". I think most anyone would consider being referred to as "abusive" as not only critical but insulting as well.
My feelings are not hurt by an means and an apologizing to me, although accepted, is honestly not necessary. Sometimes "words" can have the affect of a sword, intentionally or not. Regardless, thank you for your reply and I truly hope you have a wonderful, blessed and happy day or evening!

I understand that you started it with that, but then you went on to say that I was criticizing and attacking. You might be misinterpreting my ! as a command or yelling, but I only intended it as an idea like eureka! It's just advice. :angel:

There's a really big difference between abusing return policies and utilizing it. Buying many items with the intent of returning most of them is very different from purchasing items with the intent to keep them but not being satisfied (be it fit, quality, etc). The first IS abusing the return policy in my opinion. It doesn't make anyone a bad person for doing it, but if a company does not want to tolerate the behavior then I think it's their call.

I'm glad we were able to clear this up. :smile:

Reactions: luv2bling
:biggrin:
I understand that you started it with that, but then you went on to say that I was criticizing and attacking. You might be misinterpreting my ! as a command or yelling, but I only intended it as an idea like eureka! It's just advice. :angel:

There's a really big difference between abusing return policies and utilizing it. Buying many items with the intent of returning most of them is very different from purchasing items with the intent to keep them but not being satisfied (be it fit, quality, etc). The first IS abusing the return policy in my opinion. It doesn't make anyone a bad person for doing it, but if a company does not want to tolerate the behavior then I think it's their call.

I'm glad we were able to clear this up. :smile:
Absolutely! Obviously we both purchased some "BIG GIRL" pants during on of our shopping expeditions and didn't RETURN them. :biggrin: (I couldn't resist the return part)

Have a wonderful day/evening @ProShopper1

Attachments

• biggrin[1].gif
    biggrin[1].gif
    614 bytes · Views: 1,005
Full disclosure: I'm a habitual shopbop buyer and returner. For example, if I need a dress for a wedding, I buy 6 and keep 1.
I also buy a lot during their sales and keep a few items and send the rest back.

BUT, today, I got the below email SB:
We’ve noticed that you have returned the majority of your purchases from us in the past 12 months. We are hoping we can work with you to improve this pattern, because it could result in your account becoming subject to additional fees. If you're having trouble finding the right sizes and styles, our 24/7 customer service team is happy to point you in the right direction, and they're only a call or email away.
We hope we will see a decline in returns from you following this note. If not, you may receive further communication from us, explaining the conditions under which your account could be subject to a modified returns policy, which includes a built-in Returns Penalty Fee for each item you return to Shopbop | East Dane.

AHH!! Has anyone else gotten this? What should I do (other than the obvious not buy so much)? ?
Thanks!
Shopbop customer service is now absent. Received a defective item and they refused to accept return. What was more alarming is the lies and different stories. Won't be shopping there anymore.

Reactions: arcaedia
I’m going to be honest and say I’m on Shopbop’s side. I can understand maybe buying 2 dresses at a time and returning one, but who needs six options for only one choice? You’re holding up a lot of merchandise for both the company and other potential buyers. Again, just my opinion, but I don’t get this level of serial buying and returns. I think you should accept the email and shop elsewhere, though I suspect this will become an issue at most places.
Shopbop has no customer service and they lie when you attemp to legitimately return one item. I used to shop there all the time but I won't anymore. If you buy it you are stuck with it. Not acceptable.

Reactions: arcaedia