Share your very FIRST Kate Spade bag story

Hello, I'm newbie in tPF
I bought my 1st Kate Spade (also my 1st designer bag) on 2010. It's a Classic Noel Stevie Black Patent. On the 1st day I brought it to the office, a female boss couldn't stop looking at it since I was a new employee and in my office (engineering division) the girls don't really care about fashion item :biggrin:

Well, I am product of the 90s. And I definitely remember the preppy girls getting Kate Spade bags in middle and high school. And this was no easy feat where I lived at the time. The states doesn't even have a Nordstroms yet.

So I wanted to avoid getting one, because this was in the nylon era, and the people with the bags were snooty.

So my "first" was actually a target knock off. Tweed with mint green trim. My friend (a new one at the time) started laughing that we had the same taste in bags. And he fact it looked like a Kate Spade.

Well it took me an eternity to even stop in the store. Not until a few years ago. Even though they were readily accessible. I spent a few years on the fence about the KS wallets, and the card cases. And a few other SLGs. Nothing jumped out at me. And then I was more into Coach and MK.

I didn't get around to getting anything until last year!

My real first was a Scout in black. I loved the classic shape and crossbody. And then I got sucked in by the Quilted Kaiya in that Cobalt Blue. But sadly, this lovely is in for repair. There were loose threads on the chain strap. My sister, is a recent convert as well. She has a Minka and one other bag, after spending the past 15 years avoiding KS like the plague.

Next up? I need to get the shoes!

I got my very first Kate Spade bag three months ago. And ever since then I've been obsessed with the brand. I've never spent so much money over one designer before, and in such a short span! Before KS, I wasn't into designer brands and labels. I couldn't fathom spending over $50 for a purse.

But in December 2012, my boyfriend took me out shopping for my birthday. We decided to go to the premium outlets that recently opened up not far from where I live. I've always heard about KS but never really looked into it. All I knew was that it was a luxury brand, aka "$$$". So after walking around, I spotted the KS store, and wanted to see what all the hoopla was about. I walked in and nothing really caught my eye except for the peacock Wellesley Rachelle. I laughed it off saying everything was pricey, so we left and checked out the other stores. But I couldn't get the Rachelle off my mind, (and my bf was urging me to pick out a present), so I decided to go back to KS. I was debating between the peacock Rachelle and the black Quinn (the Quinn seemed more practical) but I decided on the Rachelle because it was different and I loved the color.

Needless to say, that opened up a dangerous addiction for me, because three months later, I'm eight KS purses, two wallets, and several jewelries in deep.

I got my very first Kate Spade bag three months ago. And ever since then I've been obsessed with the brand. I've never spent so much money over one designer before, and in such a short span! Before KS, I wasn't into designer brands and labels. I couldn't fathom spending over $50 for a purse.

But in December 2012, my boyfriend took me out shopping for my birthday. We decided to go to the premium outlets that recently opened up not far from where I live. I've always heard about KS but never really looked into it. All I knew was that it was a luxury brand, aka "$$$". So after walking around, I spotted the KS store, and wanted to see what all the hoopla was about. I walked in and nothing really caught my eye except for the peacock Wellesley Rachelle. I laughed it off saying everything was pricey, so we left and checked out the other stores. But I couldn't get the Rachelle off my mind, (and my bf was urging me to pick out a present), so I decided to go back to KS. I was debating between the peacock Rachelle and the black Quinn (the Quinn seemed more practical) but I decided on the Rachelle because it was different and I loved the color.

Needless to say, that opened up a dangerous addiction for me, because three months later, I'm eight KS purses, two wallets, and several jewelries in deep.
My first kate spade was not a bag but a wallet! I never spent so much money on a wallet before... but since I bought it, i realised that spending more on quality actually pays of in the long run! since then i have been spending more on (expensive) bags :biggrin: that wallet was the beginning of my journey.

Well, I am product of the 90s. And I definitely remember the preppy girls getting Kate Spade bags in middle and high school. And this was no easy feat where I lived at the time. The states doesn't even have a Nordstroms yet.

So I wanted to avoid getting one, because this was in the nylon era, and the people with the bags were snooty.

So my "first" was actually a target knock off. Tweed with mint green trim. My friend (a new one at the time) started laughing that we had the same taste in bags. And he fact it looked like a Kate Spade.

This is so similar to my first Kate Spade story!

I loved loved loved those original black nylon bags that everyone carried when I was in middle school. I begged my parents for one, but they didn't understand why I wanted a boring black square box of a bag. So, as a compromise, my mom took me to the Orange County Swapmeet and bought me a knockoff. As a 13 year old, I totally believed it was the real thing -- and I'm pretty sure I told all my classmates that!

I didn't get my first authentic KS bag until freshman year of college. My boyfriend at the time bought me a gray Tarrytown Logan barrel bag. I still have it (and love it) and break it out every so often.

My style has changed so much over the years. I wasn't a Kate Spade fan up until a few years ago. My first was a clutch from the outlet. I'm slowly transitioning into her bags as well as a few other brands.

My first Kate Spade happened last summer. I found a gorgeous sturdy-but-straw bag at TJ Maxx for $130. It's a boxy, rectangular shape. Beautiful, quirky and fun. I use it all summer for everyday. You would not believe how many MEN have complimented me on this bag! I also just scored a couple of Kate wallets & gave one to my daughter as an encouragement gift while she job-hunts. One is a lovely light blue, and the other is same style but in grass-green. Really good for organizing.

Last edited:
My first Kate Spade was a black nylon tote for my first real job after college. I was sooooo excited about it. It was not only my first KS, but my first expensive bag overall. I carried it for years, it wore like iron, and I absolutely loved it. Always got a ton of compliments on it too. I will never forget how great that bag made me feel in my first foray into corporate world.

I picked up a Dixon Place Scout last year after saving up for a while. Funny enough, the first purse I ever owned as a little girl was denim, so that's kind of an interesting throwback. I really like crossbody bags I can take on errands, so the shape and size was perfect.

I know this topic a little old, but I'm new here and thought I could bump in.

Well, my first purchase wasn't a bag per see, but a Darla wallet in black this past Christmas. I know it's a small feat, but it's my first designer buy ever and I wanted it to be something I loved for a long time, so I prefered to buy it in black.

I bought it online because I feel too shy going into brands stores... silly, I know.

And I now have the designer bug and am thinking of buying myself an actual purse. Am trying to decide between Little Minka or Pippa!

My first ever KS purchase was my first mother's day gift from the hubby, a beige Leslie :smile:

I've since purchased a pair of pumps too, tan with a black bow at the toes. Can't wait to buy more!

Well my 1st time ever in KS was October of last year, me and my friend since childhood had a lovely brunch and decided to do some shopping right after.so I had seen a beautiful bag online called the Beau bag and I knew I had to have it so we decided to step in and see if it was available. Well we walk in and I dont see the bag, so I asked the SA and she said well we have it but we cant put it on the floor until thursday(it was sunday) but I wanted the bag so they pulled the only one they had in beige/black combo and sold it to me with a beautiful wallet to match. The following Tuesday I received a wonderful thank you card from the SA

My first KS love was a hot pink bag at a KS Outlet store. I was smitten with the bag but at the time couldn't (wouldn't?) justify spending a couple hundred dollars on a bag. Silly me. So a couple of years went by and the Thanksgiving online sale came on I took the plunge. I ordered two bags initially, and it's been a love story ever since. I currently own 7 KS bags and counting. I also own some KS accessories.