Share your strategies, tactics, stories of how to avoid Ban Island

1 solution:
Do. Not. Check. tPF

LOL. In fact do not even own a cell phone so SA can't send you messages on stock availability.

That's too extreme. Perhaps just use an old model Nokia - you know , one of those that is digital display in black and white screen and cannot download apps etc

Great topic - thank you fabfashion for starting this thread.

Obviously, I need to follow this as I've been doing a terrible job of being on ban island. In fact, I have made more purchases on ban island than I have ever before. What started as a simple souvenir scarf in Paris has turned into an absolute H addiction.

I'll be honest and say that I'm not managing things well. I, too, always paid my credit card off and never had any debt. That has changed. While I'm not in trouble, I have to get back to where I was before I discovered H.

To be honest, what I should do is
1) Make a list of what I want/need and only buy when I've sold a bag, received a bonus or found some extra cash
2) Stop checking ebay and the "what have you found online" thread
3) Only buy scarves that I absolutely love and in colorways that I don't already have (I have too many bright pink/purple/gold scarves and green scarves but am missing reds and blacks)
4) Limit going to the boutique - I have never walked out of a boutique empty handed
5) Luckily, my SA does not have my phone number and I need to keep it that way
6) Sell all bags and/or accessories (H or otherwise) that I haven't used or use sparingly to fund my addiction
7) Only buy things I love and not because they are a bargain on reseller sites (i.e. scarves)
8) Exert self control and while I'm at it, go to the gym

I would say to stop checking tpf but that's like asking me to stop eating so I'm not adding that to the list.

Unfortunately the scarcity of wish list items has me perpetually in "pounce" mode, rather than "limit" mode. This is the magic of H- you fall in love with the beauty of the products; amazed at how deep and wide it runs through the house. And all of a sudden, it's "my collection 'needs' this, and that, that, and that…" I'm not sure there is an effective strategy to deal with this. I'm too busy strategizing how to get the next wish list items...

Said so well!

I'm in the same boat. Still strategizing how to get the few items I want, and not all at once (if that ever were to happen, which is probably unlikely).

I wish I have a great strategy to share but alas I am also weak!!! Supposed to be on a ban but purchased another bag that I really shouldn't have recently (my only defense is that I like the color lol). So banned....

Only advice is to only buy things you can pay for right away. Also ask yourself, can you live without buying the bag/accessories, or is it something that you will regret later if you don't get it now? These 2 questions should help prioritize your our purchases as I did.

A "good deal" may not mean much if you wouldn't use the item. I've been able to stop myself by asking if it's really necessary for me to get the item if it's not unique or hard to find. Also helps to budget for what would be the next purchase rather than acting on an impulse buy.

Well I'm fairly new to the H addiction and intended to only purchase 2 scarves in June. Now I have quite a pile of orange boxes but I am very much a spreadsheet person and I made a wish list, plugged in the costs and charted out what I could purchase and when, I have done this my whole life as I like to save for a while and go on a spree every 6 months or so but due to the "pounce" factor of Hermes, I just make sure I can work the finds into my plan when they're available and maybe push something else down the list. I like my SA but I think she understands that I can't buy every single lovely thing that crosses my path and she's happy to let me admire them.

I prioritized from the Fall scarves thread and figured out my must haves, scarves that are wearable with my current wardrobe and that I believe I will get a lot of use from. In six months if I'm never reaching for a scarf, it will be sold to fund something else. I have a long wish list of bracelets and bags but I feel no rush for those, the bags will take me a while to save for and I'm not in a huge rush to amass a major collection. With the abundance of great items popping up on H.com and on reseller sites to me that says that I can wait, these things will become available someday at the right time for me and if not, surely there will be something else on my list!

I'm also (foolishly) optimistic that I will dislike the Spring collection as I'm more of a Fall person anyway. I wish TPF had a hide thread feature! :biggrin:

Fabfashion, I used to say I'm a bag addict but now I am simply an H addict.

My problem is I have an awesome SA who always come through for me. I wanted a K she got me a K. I wanted a KC in [insert a very specific spec] and again she got it for me. Last week she asked me what's next and I gave her my list. Now I am scared that she will come up with those items soon....my money tree really needs a break.

I don't have a good advise for you. But know that I am in the same boat.

This for me as well!! My SA is amazing & will find whatever I'm looking for & then more things that I didn't even think of! When my phone rings & it's H I think "OH MY GOD. What has she found for me now that I'm not going to be able to say no to?!?"

huh and GenieBottle26, I'm so envious! Both SAs sound amazing. I don't have a deep relationship with my local store (low inventory) and only started to purchase a few scarves from one lovely SA here this year. We go to Hawaii once a year and I love the 2 stores there. I consider the one at Ala Moana my 'local' store and see the same SA for the past 3 years. But since it's so far away and they don't ship leather goods, I usually just bought whatever were available that struck my fancy when I visited. That used to be somewhat of a strategy and I would look forward to my trip each year for H goodies. I'd do the same when I went to Europe or other major cities. Now this year I started buying from h.com Canada and US and other reseller sites and my once-twice a year H purchase strategy just went out the window. Oops! :P

I think I'm a relatively sensible H'addict - but my purchases have always been spontaneous, all specifically filling a 'need' in my wardrobe, 'necessities' and homewares. Really only one misfire in all my purchases of a sale sweater that proved too fragile to actually wear.

I've simple rationalized over the years that I only need a few things in life, but I want those things to be the best and most considered, where it counts. That's how I've avoided ban island :smile:
jmzr22, that used to be my thinking too but this year it just seems that after I bought one item, I started needing the next thing. Then I became obsessed and searched high and low for it. I think the scarcity fuels my obsession, and the occasional store/online availability inflames it further.

I think when you amass a nice collection, you begin to shop in your closet and don't feel the need to buy as much. You also learn that your SA will call again if you turn something down. Over time, I learned that only 3 or styles really work for me and my life style and that cut down the feeling that I needed to have so much. Plus- a closet can only hold so many orange boxes

Oh, interesting topic! :smile: Love strategies! ;)

My H-strategy simply is to plan my purchases in advance and long term to take control of the addiction and avoid to go with a feeling of "oh, I also want..." every time I see something I enjoy :biggrin:. Like; how many bags do I need/want to own? In what colour/model? I don't want to say yes or get tempted to buy anything else than what I originally decided that I have time to use or get use of.

I also decide what I want for one season in advance, like one bag, one shawl and a pair of boots for example and try to stay with that and don't buy other things. Or I could decided I don't want anything one season, but more another one...

I realize shopping and H is for fun, but addiction needs to be controlled by some discipline ;p

ThingumyPoppy, I have to hand it to you, you have great discipline. :worthy:I definitely need to approach my H purchases more strategically. Funny how my line of work is in strategy and I'm the one who runs the household finances. However, when it comes to my shopping I'm usually a spontaneous kind of person. I may have a general idea like I want something bright and then see what's available. With everything just a few clicks away, I could be seeing multitude of bright pretty things and then I just want them all! I used to wait to go to the boutique but now I do most of my shopping online. I need more discipline!!! Or, may be I just need to move somewhere where there's no internet access.

Thank you for sharing your approach. I can see making a plan for the season but not sure how not to get distracted when I see something else not on the list or saying no to the SA or to a good deal.