Sable in Action

It’s 21C where I am today, and it is NOVEMBER, so this question isn’t pressing.

I had my local furrier (shop local!) make a 3/4 sable coat for me. I’ve never had a “fluffy” fur before and now I’m feeling self-conscious. Any words of advice?View attachment 4900053

:congrats: Looks lovely. Nice relaxed shape and a length that can be worn day or night.

Keep the rest of the outfit simple and sleet or uber casual. The most important thing is that you wear it

Just finished reading the entire thread and learned so much from you gals! Thank you for sharing the wealth of info! I am a newbie to sable and about to purchase my first and probably only coat and need all the advice and honest opinions I can get. Over the weekend, DH and I dropped by the Saks Fur Salon and they're having a sale 75% off all sable. The SA highly recommended a 23" short coat with a stand collar and 3/4 length sleeve which came in tortora and barguzin. The tag says it is Russian sable, dyed, and lined in silk. The brand is called ACTIVE Sable House and it seems like they only do sable with a quick search on google. The retail price on both are 50k and with 75% off, this sale is VERY tempting BUT it is final sale. I would really appreciate feedback with some questions lingering in my head:
- tortora or barguzin? Does it look like real barguzin? Under bright lighting, it has blue tints to it.
- Is the quality of the sable worth the sale price? Should I even consider getting it or walk away?
- how should a short coat fit? Loose or more fitted?

Thank you!:smile:

Last edited:
Forgot to attach some pics for reference! Wasn't expecting to go fur shopping that day so please excuse the messy hair and outfit.
Tortora size M (too big on me) They do have XS and S in other stores.
1608545298875.jpeg
Barguzin XS
1608545349871.jpeg
1608546122479.png

Last edited:
Reactions: luv2bling
Forgot to attach some pics for reference!
Tortora size M (too big on me)
View attachment 4934766
Barguzin size XS

bView attachment 4934765

View attachment 4934764

I think the pics are reversed in my quote above, so not sure which is which now.

Firstly, don't get one that doesn't fit!

Try to not look at the the type labels unless you have a preference. Barguzin is usually the top choice, but in luxury, personal preference tops everything.Look at the jacket not the label except...

'dyed' concerns me as top quality sable is not usually dyed, especially when 'sable' colour. Good quality sable should show lots of variety and depth in colour including silver long guard hairs in a Barguzin.

I like the stand-up collar on you. I also think the darker suits your colouring better (ir certainly fits you better).

Price. even 75% off - still leaves not an insignificant amount. Contact furriers direct and check out their prices. Liska on insta https://www.instagram.com/liskafashion/?hl=en and below in the US

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 10.14.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-21 at 10.14.51.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • Love
Reactions: 880 and cdtracing
I think the pics are reversed in my quote above, so not sure which is which now.

Firstly, don't get one that doesn't fit!

Try to not look at the the type labels unless you have a preference. Barguzin is usually the top choice, but in luxury, personal preference tops everything.Look at the jacket not the label except...

'dyed' concerns me as top quality sable is not usually dyed, especially when 'sable' colour. Good quality sable should show lots of variety and depth in colour including silver long guard hairs in a Barguzin.

I like the stand-up collar on you. I also think the darker suits your colouring better (ir certainly fits you better).

Price. even 75% off - still leaves not an insignificant amount. Contact furriers direct and check out their prices. Liska on insta https://www.instagram.com/liskafashion/?hl=en and below in the US

Thank you for your response papertiger! Added some more info above that I forgot to mention. The SA at Saks ordered the tortora in XS and S so I can try it on again in my size this weekend. At first glance, I gravitated more towards the tortora with its richness in color. The barguzin is dark, but feel it will look more timeless as I age. Still have a few more days to think about it and don't want to risk buyer's remorse. Thank you again for your feedback.

Happy New Year!
I read (most) of this thread as I’m seriously considering purchasing a sable.
I went over to my local furrier who I like and trust (he’s been there for 51 years) and looked at a lot of mink. I have a 15 year old mahogany mink that is super long and formal looking. I wore it a lot when we lived in NYC but now I never wear it.
So I looked at a lot of strollers and parkas. I really loved a hooded drawstring parka but then as I was ready to leave to “think about it” I asked if I could just “see” a sable.
He pulls out a whiskey colored simple stroller and as he passed it into my hands I could hear choirs of angels singing and shards of rainbow lights beaming down on it!
It was light, oh so soft and a totally different ballgame when I tried it on.
Love at first sight.
My question for you experts is, is this “whiskey” color less expensive or valuable? I personally have always gravitated toward that color when looking at minks and it looks best on me but I see a lot of the Barguzin in this thread.
And im calling it “whiskey” because I’m not sure how else to describe it but it’s definitely not dyed. Is this the Canadian sable?
Paging our resident expert @papertiger !

Reactions: KathyB
Happy New Year!
I went over to my local furrier who I like and trust (he’s been there for 51 years) and looked at a lot of mink. I have a 15 year old mahogany mink that is super long and formal looking. I wore it a lot when we lived in NYC but now I never wear it.

Just a sidenote, you could have your old mink remodelled into something more wearable - or even a nice blanket/pillows if the colour isn't your style anymore.

Reactions: efleon
Happy New Year!
So I looked at a lot of strollers and parkas. I really loved a hooded drawstring parka but then as I was ready to leave to “think about it” I asked if I could just “see” a sable.
He pulls out a whiskey colored simple stroller and as he passed it into my hands I could hear choirs of angels singing and shards of rainbow lights beaming down on it!
It was light, oh so soft and a totally different ballgame when I tried it on.
Love at first sight.
My question for you experts is, is this “whiskey” color less expensive or valuable? I personally have always gravitated toward that color when looking at minks and it looks best on me but I see a lot of the Barguzin in this thread.
And im calling it “whiskey” because I’m not sure how else to describe it but it’s definitely not dyed. Is this the Canadian sable?
Paging our resident expert @papertiger !

It's what suits your colouring.

Barguzin sable are named after the sables that come from the area and are not one colour. There are different colour Barguzin sables, it's just the colour most valued from that region have a lot of silver guard hairs and therefore iridescence as they move. It's very hard to capture the phenomena that silvery hairs give to a coat/jacket in a photo. A dark Barguzin with no silver hair would just be - dark. If people feel reassured by a regional name while thinking they've bagged a bargain, that's their choice, but a poor Champagne still doesn't taste good unless you're reading the label when you drink it.

I am fair-skinned but with high colouring. I choose a different mink colour to my sable. For mink, I chose wild-type (a natural 'cognac' but undyed and rare). Mink should be soft but sleek, a sable should be plush and shiny but if too dark and solid in colour, it can make someone look like bear. A dark Barguzin doesn't work the best for me, I prefer a strongly tonal Russian variety, which is usually be better for fair, warm blondes and redheads.

Barguzin are Russian sable, but not all Russian sables are Barguzin. So dark does not mean better (or Barguzin) but Golden sable is completely different and usually comes from Canada (sometimes called Canadian sable). If the furrier showed you a Golden sable (marketing term for Canadian sable) although gorgeous, these are a different strain of sable altogether. Only Russian sable can just be called 'sable'. I'd have to see a pic to know what the furrier showed you, but you can to a Net search. Golden sable are less expensive than Russian overall, but there are also different grades, so a good quality Golden sable will be fabulous, plus you get that golden colour.

Last edited:
It's what suits your colouring.

Barguzin sable are named after the sables that come from the area and are not one colour. There are different colour Barguzin sables, it's just the colour most valued from that region have a lot of silver guard hairs and therefore iridescence as they move. It's very hard to capture the phenomena that silvery hairs give to a coat/jacket in a photo. A dark Barguzin with no silver hair would just be - dark. If people feel reassured by a regional name while thinking they've bagged a bargain, that's their choice, but a poor Champagne still doesn't taste good unless you're reading the label when you drink it.

I am fair-skinned but with high colouring. I choose a different mink colour to my sable. For mink, I chose wild-type (a natural 'cognac' but undyed and rare). Mink should be soft but sleek, a sable should be plush and shiny but if too dark and solid in colour, it can make someone look like bear. A dark Barguzin doesn't work the best for me, I prefer a strongly tonal Russian variety, which is usually be better for fair, warm blondes and redheads.

Barguzin are Russian sable, but not all Russian sables are Barguzin. So dark does not mean better (or Barguzin) but Golden sable is completely different and usually comes from Canada (sometimes called Canadian sable). If the furrier showed you a Golden sable (marketing term for Canadian sable) although gorgeous, these are a different strain of sable altogether. Only Russian sable can just be called 'sable'. I'd have to see a pic to know what the furrier showed you, but you can to a Net search. Golden sable are less expensive than Russian overall, but there are also different grades, so a good quality Golden sable will be fabulous, plus you get that golden colour.
Wow. Thank you for that.
I am going to visit him again this week and take some pics so we all have a better idea what I’m looking at.
I will also ask him the right questions now that I’m a little more educated.
I can’t thank you enough for such a great tutorial!
tPF is awesome!

It’s 21C where I am today, and it is NOVEMBER, so this question isn’t pressing.

I had my local furrier (shop local!) make a 3/4 sable coat for me. I’ve never had a “fluffy” fur before and now I’m feeling self-conscious. Any words of advice?View attachment 4900053
This is beautiful on you and not too bulky. Hope that you are getting some good use out of it this winter!

Thanks @880 for liking my comments, I remember this thread! So I finally altered my long sable to a shorter one with an oversized hook, and I have to say I love it!! I gained a bit weight since I worn it last, and now it’s a bit tight, hope it’s not so noticeable. The real life color is def a lot darker because the lighting is so bad in the furrier store. But here it is. I also used some excess skin to make a headband. :smile: thanks for letting me share!

Attachments

• 4062D217-B206-4000-AF0E-4D5DC5CDB552.jpeg
    4062D217-B206-4000-AF0E-4D5DC5CDB552.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 70A5863C-264C-4DF5-83CA-7723F2EFFB0A.jpeg
    70A5863C-264C-4DF5-83CA-7723F2EFFB0A.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 5420DCD0-3F96-46E6-B408-E9041A67EB1D.jpeg
    5420DCD0-3F96-46E6-B408-E9041A67EB1D.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 61
  • A01F3E2A-47A8-4529-A996-4758CBFED838.jpeg
    A01F3E2A-47A8-4529-A996-4758CBFED838.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 8C84A5E1-D9FA-4578-951E-A95768D4EFE1.jpeg
    8C84A5E1-D9FA-4578-951E-A95768D4EFE1.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 57
Thanks, @880! I have worn it out a couple of times, and it’s so wonderfully warm! I wear it with jeans, but the shawl collar still feels too formal for jeans. i’m thinking about having a shorter one made next year, but with a stand collar this time, so it’s more casual.