Rolex Datejust OR Omega AT? Help me choose!

can you explain about being off by 5 minutes? do you mean, if it's 5:00pm, your mom's Rolex will say it's 4:55pm? As for servicing, how often and when do they know they need to have that done? thank you!

^ My DF's automatic watch is off by about 5 minutes and it so happens my mom's Rolex is off by 5 as well. Both wear their watches everyday. My watch is quartz and it keeps time quite accurately. Mechanical/automatic watches need to be serviced every so often while quartz/battery operated watches need their batteries replaced every 4 or so years. If your #1 concern is accurate time keeping, I would go for the Omega.

If you don't care for the movement of the watch and what lies underneath the case, then a quartz watch would be the best investment. There's no use paying extra for an automatic watch otherwise!

Since you originally want an upgrade from your Tag I would go Rolex.
I have one since last december, and it's my week-end/casual watch. I have nothing bad to report : accurate, scratch and water resistant and compliment casual look very well.
It's SS though...and not TT.
I'll have a Rose Gold Day-date for my Bday, and I don't know if I use it as an everyday watch...

I would go for Rolex! There is nothing better :smile: My father has one since 18 years and its working and working and working....... No scratches and it looks almost good. I will get my first rolex ( the Datejust) now and I KNOW it is the right decision! Wish you good luck with yours!

I vote Rolex I had a tag and got a datejust in january .I am a jeans and sweater/ tee girl . I love my watch . There is a Rolex forum with info. on rolexes you could check out if you wanted .

Both the Rolex and the Omega you were looking at are automatic movements, this is easily discernible from the posted photos.

Both are COSC movements which means they are accurate to within -4/+6 seconds/day. That is pretty darn accurate, and should not even be a deciding factor when looking at high-end watches. These are precision time pieces.

Quartz movements are more accurate +-10/year but are cheaper because there is very little labour involved in making one.

Exactly!

Seemed she is not ready to get into Rolex's world ;)

nvie - so you feel the rolex is "in your face"? that doesn't sound too good. i dont' want to draw attention to my watch, kwim? i know both rolex and omegas are high end watches so some attention is inevitable but i am a very casual person, jeans and t-shirts type who spends most of the time with the kids. do you think the aqua terra two tone is more scratch prone than your all stainless?

Vagabag - two tone Aqua Terra is an auto watch. I think firstly you have to ask yourself whether you want a Rolex, if yes, and prefer an understated Rolex, then consider dome bezel and oyster bracelet.

Scratches are more visible on oyster, also AT's bracelet compared to jubilee. Whether the watch is more prone to scratching depends on how careful you are while wearing it.

Seems like you are still very tom between the 2 watches.

Yeah I think I'm going to take the hubby to see both. He'll have a strong opinion, I'm sure.

Vagabag - two tone Aqua Terra is an auto watch. I think firstly you have to ask yourself whether you want a Rolex, if yes, and prefer an understated Rolex, then consider dome bezel and oyster bracelet.

Scratches are more visible on oyster, also AT's bracelet compared to jubilee. Whether the watch is more prone to scratching depends on how careful you are while wearing it.

Seems like you are still very tom between the 2 watches.

can you explain about being off by 5 minutes? do you mean, if it's 5:00pm, your mom's Rolex will say it's 4:55pm? As for servicing, how often and when do they know they need to have that done? thank you!

My mom's watch is faster by 5 minutes, so if it's 5:00PM on my computer/phone, her watch will point to 5:05PM. But she has had this watch for at least 3-4 years now, so it has been gradually getting faster. I believe you get it serviced every 10 or so years or when it runs out of COSC (or if you see any mechanical problems).

My mom's watch is faster by 5 minutes, so if it's 5:00PM on my computer/phone, her watch will point to 5:05PM. But she has had this watch for at least 3-4 years now, so it has been gradually getting faster. I believe you get it serviced every 10 or so years or when it runs out of COSC (or if you see any mechanical problems).

This doesn't explain how fast the watch is running. It only explains that your mother has her watch set 5mins ahead of your computer.

Does it gain 5mins per day, so after a week it is an hour ahead? Or, has it gained this 5mins since she bought it 4 years ago? Because there is a big difference between these two scenarios.

I recommend automatic watches should be serviced every 5 years, worn daily or not, as the gaskets can dry and crack and the oils can become sticky.

This doesn't explain how fast the watch is running. It only explains that your mother has her watch set 5mins ahead of your computer.

Does it gain 5mins per day, so after a week it is an hour ahead? Or, has it gained this 5mins since she bought it 4 years ago? Because there is a big difference between these two scenarios.

I recommend automatic watches should be serviced every 5 years, worn daily or not, as the gaskets can dry and crack and the oils can become sticky.

Uhm, we set the watch the same time as the computer. I'm sorry I was not clear, but I meant it has gained 5 minutes since buying it 4 years ago. I'm pretty sure if it has gained 5 minutes per day, I WOULD NOT have stated that it was 5 minutes faster - instead it'd be hours ahead!