Rib rhinoplasty in Korea - Nose Lab

Hi all, Nose Lab is pretty expensive for rib rhinoplasty. I would only just go there if you don’t want a scar.

As an update, I got my nose revised at a different clinic and I am SO satisfied. I got an open rhinoplasty so my scar is still healing but it’s so worth it. The experience was so much better. No fancy bells and whistles like Nose Lab, but much more devoted consultation and surgery time, and the doctor was a plastic surgeon with over 20 years of experience. It really showed. Now I have a nice and comfortable nose that fits my face perfectly and enhances my facial features. So glad my journey is now over.
Hi @Soulhappy , can u share where u had your revision? thank u so much!

Hi all, Nose Lab is pretty expensive for rib rhinoplasty. I would only just go there if you don’t want a scar.

As an update, I got my nose revised at a different clinic and I am SO satisfied. I got an open rhinoplasty so my scar is still healing but it’s so worth it. The experience was so much better. No fancy bells and whistles like Nose Lab, but much more devoted consultation and surgery time, and the doctor was a plastic surgeon with over 20 years of experience. It really showed. Now I have a nice and comfortable nose that fits my face perfectly and enhances my facial features. So glad my journey is now over.
Hi, would you be able to tell me privately where you did your revision? I'm traveling to Korea soon and would so love your insight.

So I wanted to give a detailed and honest review of Nose Lab instead of just generalizing.

I did my research on Babitalk and Gangnam Unnie and Purse Forum. When I started going in for consultations, almost every doctor told me they do open rhino but that the scar under my nose almost always becomes invisible. After more research, I learned about Nose Lab and Dr. Kang's no-scar closed rhinoplasty. Dr. Kang has an MD/PHD and has been doing only noses (ENT plastic surgeon) for over 15 years. After a quick consultation, I booked my rhino with Dr. Kang.

I don't remember it very specifically, but it was around $30 for the pictures, consultation + CT scan. The clinic is small, but clean, and front desk people were very nice. Most of the girls in the waiting room had designer clothes/purses - so it is considered a high end clinic. Consultant was more aggressive, but still nice and easy to talk to, but very strict on price. They know that the product they sell (skilled closed rhino) is hard to come by.

The funny thing was that Dr. Kang never really touched my nose at any pre-surgery consultation. He just talked while looking at the pictures. I felt like a science project as he evaluated my pictures in front of me. He already seemed to have in mind what kind of nose I needed. He did not really go into specifics, and I was not asked what kind of nose I wanted. I also did not bring any pictures. I just trusted the guy and went in for a new nose.

Consultant is also more like the price negotiator instead of an aesthetic consultant. She didn't really go much in detail about my nose either, just the price.

After my surgery, I expected anyone to come in and let me know how it went. Instead, I was just sent home. The next day, when I could finally take out the cotton in my nose, I got to talk to the doctor for about 10 seconds. Day 7, the bandages were taken off, and I was shocked at my nose and how huge it was. Again, I was left with my own clueless self to deal with it. People just assume that the clients know the rhinoplasty process. I could not I did not see the doctor again until day 10 of my surgery, and even then it was a quick check up. Same at the one-month check up.

Most people tell me that my nose is so nice, but it's not what I envisioned. It was my fault to not bring pictures or examples, but it was also never asked, and I was never guided through the process of how to "pick out" my new nose via examples, pictures, or anything. The office functions as a "trust the surgeon" mindset and does not really cater to client aesthetics or wants unless directly expressed.

I am thinking about doing a revision because it's just not my style.

SO, for anyone considering Nose Lab, key takeaways:
- The DOCTOR is skilled, great at what he does, and he is a nice guy. He is just unavailable because he is in HIGH demand, so when you have your 10 seconds to 10 minutes with him, know what you want to ask or show. The guy is obviously overworked and very busy. The longest time you will have with him is when you are on the bed, during surgery.

- They are super busy and have many, many clients to juggle. You feel like just another spoke on a wheel, like a factory churning out noses. There isn't really any time to sit down and talk thoroughly. No one really cares how you feel or what you want. So, make sure you know what you are getting into. Do your own research, bring pictures, and know what you are getting into. I could definitely have been more prepared before getting my nose done.

- KNOW Korean rhino terms and be very detailed. To the tip shape, to the slope, to the angle, to the size, to the columella placement, to every material, to the start point on the nose. They will not educate you nor ask you. If you don't know these detailed wants, he will make the decision for you. Again, he's a busy guy. No time to get into deep discussions with you about what you want.

- Remember it's still a business of selling noses and everything that can be done to it. Have a game plan and stick to it.

- POST-RHINO is HARD. Very hard, physically and emotionally. The uncertainty, the questions, the anxiety can be really overwhelming. Don't expect the hospital to support you during this time or to hear from them. They got your money and there are new clients waiting. It's a small clinic that lacks the warmth of a private practice.

So basically - if you really like what the doctor offers (ENT plastic surgeon, closed rhino, does rib, extensive experience, knows his stuff). Then this might be the place for you as long as you know what you want.

Otherwise, I would go to another place that is warmer, treats you like a person instead of a product, and takes time to sit down with you, really evaluate your nose, the most visible center of your face, and have time to go into discussions that last more than 10 minutes.

Just wanted to echo that after my experience with Dr Kang he is very open to your input but it is your job to come prepared and make the most use of the time you have with him during the initial consultation and the meeting immediate pre op.
I personally took the route of creating a collage of rhinoplasty results I enjoyed and called out what in particular I liked about the individual results (bridge, curve, tip, angle etc) because it will be hard to find that one perfect reference. I also made sure the collage actually made it in the surgery room for reference.
I was pleasantly surprised that Dr Kang patiently took in the information. Further, David from the Noselab staff — who was in all my meetings and clearly has a lot of experience as well — shared with me that he was too in the surgery room and collaborating with Dr Kang on the shape.
It also helped to have a great translator in the room that was procured by Noselab with who I actually was able to prep for the conversation before so things were a bit more efficient in the room. In hindsight I think I was just very lucky to be teamed up with her and was able to prep with her due to some waiting time; if I would do a repeat I wouldn't rely simply on my luck and procure my own translator with who I would prep the conversation.
I also want to share that I did not leave the experience with neither Dr Kang or the staff as cold — rather the opposite. And I do have points of comparison after doing additional work at a larger clinic.
I wanted to share because this thread is actually the only thread I was able to find online with someone being displeased by their results with Noselab and I am so grateful for the author to be so transparent with their process and taking some responsibility as otherwise I may have decided on a different route.
As it relates to my actual results its still early stage in the nose is very swollen currently but its clearly going in the right direction and very aligned with what I shared as my desired outcome.

Reactions: o_0h
Just wanted to echo that after my experience with Dr Kang he is very open to your input but it is your job to come prepared and make the most use of the time you have with him during the initial consultation and the meeting immediate pre op.
I personally took the route of creating a collage of rhinoplasty results I enjoyed and called out what in particular I liked about the individual results (bridge, curve, tip, angle etc) because it will be hard to find that one perfect reference. I also made sure the collage actually made it in the surgery room for reference.
I was pleasantly surprised that Dr Kang patiently took in the information. Further, David from the Noselab staff — who was in all my meetings and clearly has a lot of experience as well — shared with me that he was too in the surgery room and collaborating with Dr Kang on the shape.
It also helped to have a great translator in the room that was procured by Noselab with who I actually was able to prep for the conversation before so things were a bit more efficient in the room. In hindsight I think I was just very lucky to be teamed up with her and was able to prep with her due to some waiting time; if I would do a repeat I wouldn't rely simply on my luck and procure my own translator with who I would prep the conversation.
I also want to share that I did not leave the experience with neither Dr Kang or the staff as cold — rather the opposite. And I do have points of comparison after doing additional work at a larger clinic.
I wanted to share because this thread is actually the only thread I was able to find online with someone being displeased by their results with Noselab and I am so grateful for the author to be so transparent with their process and taking some responsibility as otherwise I may have decided on a different route.
As it relates to my actual results its still early stage in the nose is very swollen currently but its clearly going in the right direction and very aligned with what I shared as my desired outcome.

I booked with Noselab for April, and when I went in for the consultation, I wasn't that familiar with nose anatomy either, just brought a few pics of what kind of nose I want. After reading this thread and Soulhappy's experience, I'm determined to educate myself and bring very specific examples for what I'm looking for and be specific about everything, like the nasolabial angle I want and such. David mentioned I will have a pre-surgery "nose design" meeting with Dr Kang, Greg is this when you were able to communicate everything you wanted to Dr Kang? I'm a bit concerned that it will be rushed based on what Soulhappy said and I want to make sure that he understands fully what I'm looking for before the surgery.

I booked with Noselab for April, and when I went in for the consultation, I wasn't that familiar with nose anatomy either, just brought a few pics of what kind of nose I want. After reading this thread and Soulhappy's experience, I'm determined to educate myself and bring very specific examples for what I'm looking for and be specific about everything, like the nasolabial angle I want and such. David mentioned I will have a pre-surgery "nose design" meeting with Dr Kang, Greg is this when you were able to communicate everything you wanted to Dr Kang? I'm a bit concerned that it will be rushed based on what Soulhappy said and I want to make sure that he understands fully what I'm looking for before the surgery.
Yes the meeting pre surgery is the most extensive and did not feel rushed. I would try to get a first meeting scheduled too before you pay full payment to make sure you and Dr Kang have chemistry and you feel you get what you want. Do appreciate that Dr Kang has a clear style you can see in the many published case studies so if you are looking for something drastically different he should not be your first choice.

Reactions: o_0h
So I wanted to give a detailed and honest review of Nose Lab instead of just generalizing.

I did my research on Babitalk and Gangnam Unnie and Purse Forum. When I started going in for consultations, almost every doctor told me they do open rhino but that the scar under my nose almost always becomes invisible. After more research, I learned about Nose Lab and Dr. Kang's no-scar closed rhinoplasty. Dr. Kang has an MD/PHD and has been doing only noses (ENT plastic surgeon) for over 15 years. After a quick consultation, I booked my rhino with Dr. Kang.

I don't remember it very specifically, but it was around $30 for the pictures, consultation + CT scan. The clinic is small, but clean, and front desk people were very nice. Most of the girls in the waiting room had designer clothes/purses - so it is considered a high end clinic. Consultant was more aggressive, but still nice and easy to talk to, but very strict on price. They know that the product they sell (skilled closed rhino) is hard to come by.

The funny thing was that Dr. Kang never really touched my nose at any pre-surgery consultation. He just talked while looking at the pictures. I felt like a science project as he evaluated my pictures in front of me. He already seemed to have in mind what kind of nose I needed. He did not really go into specifics, and I was not asked what kind of nose I wanted. I also did not bring any pictures. I just trusted the guy and went in for a new nose.

Consultant is also more like the price negotiator instead of an aesthetic consultant. She didn't really go much in detail about my nose either, just the price.

After my surgery, I expected anyone to come in and let me know how it went. Instead, I was just sent home. The next day, when I could finally take out the cotton in my nose, I got to talk to the doctor for about 10 seconds. Day 7, the bandages were taken off, and I was shocked at my nose and how huge it was. Again, I was left with my own clueless self to deal with it. People just assume that the clients know the rhinoplasty process. I could not I did not see the doctor again until day 10 of my surgery, and even then it was a quick check up. Same at the one-month check up.

Most people tell me that my nose is so nice, but it's not what I envisioned. It was my fault to not bring pictures or examples, but it was also never asked, and I was never guided through the process of how to "pick out" my new nose via examples, pictures, or anything. The office functions as a "trust the surgeon" mindset and does not really cater to client aesthetics or wants unless directly expressed.

I am thinking about doing a revision because it's just not my style.

SO, for anyone considering Nose Lab, key takeaways:
- The DOCTOR is skilled, great at what he does, and he is a nice guy. He is just unavailable because he is in HIGH demand, so when you have your 10 seconds to 10 minutes with him, know what you want to ask or show. The guy is obviously overworked and very busy. The longest time you will have with him is when you are on the bed, during surgery.

- They are super busy and have many, many clients to juggle. You feel like just another spoke on a wheel, like a factory churning out noses. There isn't really any time to sit down and talk thoroughly. No one really cares how you feel or what you want. So, make sure you know what you are getting into. Do your own research, bring pictures, and know what you are getting into. I could definitely have been more prepared before getting my nose done.

- KNOW Korean rhino terms and be very detailed. To the tip shape, to the slope, to the angle, to the size, to the columella placement, to every material, to the start point on the nose. They will not educate you nor ask you. If you don't know these detailed wants, he will make the decision for you. Again, he's a busy guy. No time to get into deep discussions with you about what you want.

- Remember it's still a business of selling noses and everything that can be done to it. Have a game plan and stick to it.

- POST-RHINO is HARD. Very hard, physically and emotionally. The uncertainty, the questions, the anxiety can be really overwhelming. Don't expect the hospital to support you during this time or to hear from them. They got your money and there are new clients waiting. It's a small clinic that lacks the warmth of a private practice.

So basically - if you really like what the doctor offers (ENT plastic surgeon, closed rhino, does rib, extensive experience, knows his stuff). Then this might be the place for you as long as you know what you want.

Otherwise, I would go to another place that is warmer, treats you like a person instead of a product, and takes time to sit down with you, really evaluate your nose, the most visible center of your face, and have time to go into discussions that last more than 10 minutes.
Hi, I am so sorry for your experience. Do you mind sharing photos? The doctor’s credentials seem otherwise impressive but thank you again for sharing!