Resellers getting Chanel items first and selling for premium

Also these people don’t do anything. They just get photos and finds an SA who has it or finds it. Most of the time Chanel ships it. There’s no work there. They’re not finding anything. They’re just reporting stock.

GOOD POINT!
It's not like these resellers are doing any leg work that these customers aren't willing to do themselves!
From what I've read in threads customers are willing to call to stores, text several SAs, search months ahead, join facebook groups, and message fellow bag lovers to source a particular bag!
SOOOO... Resellers are doing the same thing! But they want to charge YOU for shipping and charge YOU +1000s$$ for work that you are willing to do yourself...

Someone in the fb group just posted that she was told at the store that Chanel will no longer allow any type of online sales (including social media) come this spring due to frauds. I wonder how that will play out, I doubt they can keep us from selling our used items but getting to the bottom of the resellers and also scammers (there is also plenty of those) selling brand new Chanel on social media would be interesting for sure.

People are freaking out over there :lol:

I have no problem with people consigning bags and selling a person’s stock. I also have no problem with someone sourcing a bag for someone and charging 10% for their fees. This is acceptable if the bag is still available for anyone to buy and I’m using the service for ease. It is NOT ok for these sellers to seem to get multiples of the hardest to find items, take them away from clients who want to buy them and then turn around and sell them for premium. It’s disgusting. The only time I’ve used a reseller was when I didn’t feel like tracking down a bag so I asked her to and international sellers to get me something that was not produced in the US. I have a lovely woman who lives in a state with no tax and just charges normal prices that would be the same for me if I paid tax. But some of these resellers have like 4 Caramel 19 and selling them for $7500 while people are dying for them and my SA is telling me they’re all gone. It’s not fair. The only reason I follow Them is to see what has come out. Also, a lot of the personal sellers avoid the limit because they actually buy it under your name, ship to you and then just charge a fee. Personal shopping is a legit business that helps you find things you want for a service. They are not supposed to take all the merchandise and then sell it to you at a premium price. If someone wants to resell for a higher price, that’s their decision but at least they’ve already spent the money and might have wanted it and decided to sell it later. The personal shoppers just hoard the stock, put them all on reserve and sells it off of them. They’re not investing at all and it just wrong. They’re not small businesses. They’re scalpers. This is just a fancier term for resellers.
Totally agree the personal shopper I used is like that reasonable and fair price. I am happy to pay extra but not an enormously added amount.

Someone in the fb group just posted that she was told at the store that Chanel will no longer allow any type of online sales (including social media) come this spring due to frauds. I wonder how that will play out, I doubt they can keep us from selling our used items but getting to the bottom of the resellers and also scammers (there is also plenty of those) selling brand new Chanel on social media would be interesting for sure.

People are freaking out over there :lol:
So where should we sell our unused items... I have a couple of flaps I haven’t used since the pandemic and was thinking of letting them go I want someone else to love them and actually use them!

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
So where should we sell our unused items... I have a couple of flaps I haven’t used since the pandemic and was thinking of letting them go I want someone else to love them and actually use them!

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I do think selling as a private person will be possible on platforms as before.

What I believe will happen is they will work with fb and ig to take down the resellers who sell there commercially. Then they would probably have to take their businesses to somewhere more private like telegram. That would hurt them for sure, on instagram the algorithm practically sends customers your way so getting people to join a group chat like that would be much more difficult. I also wouldn't be surprised if the fb groups get shut down, there's a lot of selling happening there too.

Last edited:
Ok this caused a huge stir. This unsubstantiated.

Ok! So there’s a posting going around causing alarm about banning resellers.

They are legally not allowed to do this in the US due the Supreme Court ruling over The First Sale Doctrine. You can read an overview below but it pretty much states that after the initial transaction, a brand has no ownership over the reselling. They don’t own the copyright, nor can they regulate what anyone does in terms of selling or reselling. It’s illegal. Fashionphile will not be banned.

The reason why IG sellers are getting shut down is because they don’t own any product and are promoting Chanel as a brand for their service. This violates copyright laws because they are promoting Chanel and selling items that they are not in possession of. I can go on IG and sell you a bag from Chanel and promote it as such. I can’t go on IG and promote the idea of Chanel, using their logos to get them to use my service. For example; I can sell a Mickey Mouse mug and say it’s a Disney Mickey Mouse Mug. I cannot post photos of Mickey Mouse and call my new Spa “Disney’s Mickey Mouse Spa.” One is selling a product in which the brand has already received money on and the other is using the name to promote myself. It’s also why Etsy gets in a lot of trouble for copyrighted items because they’re not official product. If the brand has already received money for a product that they produced under their brand, they have no control over what happens after.

The reason why the name of this group had to change was again, we were using the brand name to promote a concept. We can sell the bags with the brand but we cannot use the brand to entice in our group.

If this were possible, do you really think Apple would allow for items to be sold in refurbished stores or on eBay? You don’t think Hermes would have shut down everything? Relax! It’s all going to be ok. Nothing is going to change and if their argument is that these places sell fakes, that’s going to require a lot of proof and lot of paper trails proving it’s not real. It’s not just one person saying it’s fake.

I know this is long winded but please do not worry. Remember a SA is not a reliable source especially if they just hear chatter or are biased. They are currently in a las suit with The Real Real that’s been going on for years. They have no legal claim right now to ban anything. So everyone relax!

FIRST SALE DOCTRINE

The first-sale doctrine is a legal concept that plays an important role in United States patent, copyright and trademark law by limiting the rights of an intellectual property owner to control resale of products embodying its intellectual property. The doctrine enables the distribution chain of copyrighted products, library lending, giving, video rentals and secondary markets for copyrighted works (for example, enabling individuals to sell their legally purchased books or CDs to others). In trademark law, this same doctrine enables reselling of trademarked products after the trademark holder puts the products on the market. In the case of patented products, the doctrine allows resale of patented products without any control from the patent holder. The first sale doctrine does not apply to patented processes. The doctrine is also referred to as the "right of first sale", "first sale rule", or "first sale exhaustion rule".

The term "first sale" comes from the concept that the copyright owner's exclusive right to distribute a particular copy (such as a particular copy of a book) comes to an end when the copyright owner makes its first sale (of that book). After that initial transfer of title of the copy, the new owner of the copy can generally distribute that particular copy without further authorization of the copyright holder.[1]

The first-sale doctrine is one of the limitations and exceptions to copyright.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I do think selling as a private person will be possible on platforms as before.

What I believe will happen is they will work with fb and ig to take down the resellers who sell there commercially. Then they would probably have to take their businesses to somewhere more private like telegram. That would hurt them for sure, on instagram the algorithm practically sends customers your way so getting people to join a group chat like that would be much more difficult. I also wouldn't be surprised if the fb groups get shut down, there's a lot of selling happening there too.
They can’t do that. They have no right over what customers do with the items they have bought due to a Supreme Court ruling. They have even stated in a lawsuit that we have the right to resell. This all came from very flawed, unsubstantiated Facebook post

I think the SA's also work with the resellers . Probably they get commission from these resellers & personal shoppers.
How else would they get all the unicorn bags & hard to find items ??!!

I heard about this, too. The Chanel SAs are getting a kick back by selling to these resellers, who then need to put an even more premium price because part of it will be paid to the SA.

They can’t do that. They have no right over what customers do with the items they have bought due to a Supreme Court ruling. They have even stated in a lawsuit that we have the right to resell. This all came from very flawed, unsubstantiated Facebook post
I can’t believe people actually thought that was true.