Replacing Lining in Maxi Hobo

Hippolyta

O.G.
Dec 28, 2010
I finally found a black maxi intrecciato hobo on Vestiaire Collective for the great price of $830. The leather is in amazing shape and the bag looks stunning from the outside. Inside is another story. The lining seems darkened, overall, and there are several large spots of some kind of staining. Fortunately, there is no smell. I purchased the bag knowing I would need to replace the lining and would appreciate any input you all can provide about the best approach to doing so.

While this is a forever bag for me, I'd still like to do as much as possible to preserve it's ability to be authenticated as a real BV bag. With that in mind, is it better to take it to a BV boutique? Or can I send it directly to Modern Leather? Is there some value or benefit to going through the BV boutique that should be considered? I've never had the lining of a bag replaced, so I don't know what I don't know. Is there anything else I should be mindful of and may not be thinking of?

Thanks so much!

I finally found a black maxi intrecciato hobo on Vestiaire Collective for the great price of $830. The leather is in amazing shape and the bag looks stunning from the outside. Inside is another story. The lining seems darkened, overall, and there are several large spots of some kind of staining. Fortunately, there is no smell. I purchased the bag knowing I would need to replace the lining and would appreciate any input you all can provide about the best approach to doing so.

While this is a forever bag for me, I'd still like to do as much as possible to preserve it's ability to be authenticated as a real BV bag. With that in mind, is it better to take it to a BV boutique? Or can I send it directly to Modern Leather? Is there some value or benefit to going through the BV boutique that should be considered? I've never had the lining of a bag replaced, so I don't know what I don't know. Is there anything else I should be mindful of and may not be thinking of?

Thanks so much!
If you need it authenticated, use our own Authenticate thread.

I would recommend checking in with a boutique - if they question purchase, just say it’s been long enough ago you don’t remember as it seems, online anyway, they are getting picky about proof of purchase.

Absolutely ‘no’ on using Modern Leather - after two (that I know of) (me and another BVette) having had horrible work done that ruined the bags, no no no.

Otherwise, depending on what the boutique says, perhaps someone here has a recommendation for lining replacement.

If you need it authenticated, use our own Authenticate thread.

I would recommend checking in with a boutique - if they question purchase, just say it’s been long enough ago you don’t remember as it seems, online anyway, they are getting picky about proof of purchase.

Absolutely ‘no’ on using Modern Leather - after two (that I know of) (me and another BVette) having had horrible work done that ruined the bags, no no no.

Otherwise, depending on what the boutique says, perhaps someone here has a recommendation for lining replacement.
Yikes! I'm glad I posted her to ask about Modern Leather. They had been recommended to me as the artisans BV end up sending the bag to. Thank you for the warning!

Please do share any other recommendations for a lining replacement. I'll go to the boutique, but it would be good to have a back up if they give me a hard time.

Yikes! I'm glad I posted her to ask about Modern Leather. They had been recommended to me as the artisans BV end up sending the bag to. Thank you for the warning!

Please do share any other recommendations for a lining replacement. I'll go to the boutique, but it would be good to have a back up if they give me a hard time.
At one point I was one who recommended ML wholeheartedly, but something happened somehow in the last few years and …

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: jbags07 and Euclase

@Hippolyta
I got a mini peltro cabat for a bargain price bc it had been colored into a bright aluminum tin man shade, by Modern Leather. I knew before purchase in that i would have to have a professional strip the color off and see if some approximation of the orginal could be salvaged. Fortunately, I like rescue project bags, and @docride was able to help bring it closer to its orginal patinated shade. A custom shade is more my style. But, it took @docride a lot of time and hard work (and it’s my understanding that a lot of aluminum paint came off) as it’s much more difficult to correct the mistakes of another. I personally would not recommend modern leather. I posted before and after pics in the link above

@Hippolyta
I got a mini peltro cabat for a bargain price bc it had been colored into a bright aluminum tin man shade, by Modern Leather. I knew before purchase in that i would have to have a professional strip the color off and see if some approximation of the orginal could be salvaged. Fortunately, I like rescue project bags, and @docride was able to help bring it closer to its orginal patinated shade. A custom shade is more my style. But, it took @docride a lot of time and hard work (and it’s my understanding that a lot of aluminum paint came off) as it’s much more difficult to correct the mistakes of another. I personally would not recommend modern leather. I posted before and after pics in the link above
Oh my goodness! That transformation is incredible!

Because ML was so widely recommended I was counting on being able to have them do the work. I can't believe the quality of their work has declined so precipitously. Does BV no longer use them?

Now I'm really worried. If the BV boutique refuses to accept the bag and replace the lining, I don't know what to do. Is there another artisan you all would recommend?

Reactions: jbags07

Because ML was so widely recommended I was counting on being able to have them do the work. I can't believe the quality of their work has declined so precipitously. Does BV no longer use them?

Now I'm really worried. If the BV boutique refuses to accept the bag and replace the lining, I don't know what to do. Is there another artisan you all would recommend?
Some TPFers use rago brothers out of NJ? I don’t know much about them though or if they work on BV interiors. (I personally would pass on a bag with a lining that needed replacement) Perhaps someone else will chime in.

ETA: sometimes the cost of refurbishment can be quite high and could easily be spent on a bag in better condition)

Last edited:

You could try turning it inside out giving it a good vacuuming and a wipe down with rubbing alcohol then into direct sunlight for awhile. You could always resell.

• Insightful
Reactions: jbags07 and 880

If bv won’t do it, check Rago Brothers in NJ. I’ve used them many times for repairs on bags and shoes (never used for bv). Check out their Instagram. They do official repairs for many designers.

Thank you all! The couple of recommendations for Rago Brothers reminded me that I actually used them to clean and retouch a no name leather tote bag I used for work years ago. It wasn't an expensive bag, but it was good leather. It was the perfect bag for my commute, but was starting to look like a ratty beater bag, which wasn't the best for the office. They did a beautiful job restoring it back to almost new. I'll definitely reach out to them if BV won't do it.

Thank you all! The couple of recommendations for Rago Brothers reminded me that I actually used them to clean and retouch a no name leather tote bag I used for work years ago. It wasn't an expensive bag, but it was good leather. It was the perfect bag for my commute, but was starting to look like a ratty beater bag, which wasn't the best for the office. They did a beautiful job restoring it back to almost new. I'll definitely reach out to them if BV won't do it.
If you go with Rago, let us know how it goes - I am a "pre-loved purchaser", usually, so occasionally I need something done. I've been a bit bereft without Modern.

I didn’t realize Modern had fallen out of favor. I appreciate the tip as it was previously thought of so highly. I had a Plisse Veneta worked on there and they made some recommendations such as sealing the edges that I’m overall OK with but I remember getting it back and at first thinking, wow, this is not exactly what I expected.

To OP: I suggest going to your local BV boutique. I got a large Campana relined through BV in 2019. I bought it secondhand from EBay and I can’t remember if I told them that it was bought online used. The original lining was very dry and was the older beige color, and the new lining looked perfect and was a softer brown suede. I do remember they ran the serial number in their system and said it had been purchased originally in - I think - Florida. Luckily I had very bubbly SAs helping me and it was a great experience.

I don’t know where they sent it for the work, though.

I emailed BV over the weekend and just heard back. They said they'd be happy to do a repair assessment and asked me to send back a lot of information, including proof of purchase. They said failure to send any one of the requested pieces of info could delay their assessment, which under the best circumstances takes 15 days to begin with.

Would taking it into a boutique allow me to bypass needing to provide that proof? I was hoping to be able to arrange the repair over email since the closest store is about an hour away for me.

I emailed BV over the weekend and just heard back. They said they'd be happy to do a repair assessment and asked me to send back a lot of information, including proof of purchase. They said failure to send any one of the requested pieces of info could delay their assessment, which under the best circumstances takes 15 days to begin with.

Would taking it into a boutique allow me to bypass needing to provide that proof? I was hoping to be able to arrange the repair over email since the closest store is about an hour away for me.
I just recently went through this for a repair; I am six hours away from a boutique - I had no proof of purchase as a ”friend had purchased for me as a gift years ago”. Ultimately, they accepted the repair, and, in fact, did not charge me. It took almost three months from start to finish - including shipping time. I am six hours away from a boutique. In your case, since this is not a repair (surprised they want to do a repair assessment; perhaps rather misunderstood your request?), but a request, I’m not sure of the protocol. A visit to the boutique might be easier, and you might have to forget your proof of purchase…

Last edited: