Parishiltonturq.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 483
  • Philtonturq.jpg
    Philtonturq.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 477
  • a2229639f30d939d1093101a9f4832e7.jpg
    a2229639f30d939d1093101a9f4832e7.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 514
I love turquoise but have NO IDEA where to purchase or how to buy. I remember reading that black markings indicate real turquoise but I'm not even sure if that's true!

That being said, I think this is a refreshingly different tread. The jewellery is very beautiful but feels like it's being lived in, rather than the person being a showcase for the jewellery, which can sometimes happen with stones lives diamonds, emeralds etc.

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
I love turquoise but have NO IDEA where to purchase or how to buy. I remember reading that black markings indicate real turquoise but I'm not even sure if that's true!

That being said, I think this is a refreshingly different tread. The jewellery is very beautiful but feels like it's being lived in, rather than the person being a showcase for the jewellery, which can sometimes happen with stones lives diamonds, emeralds etc.

I also love stroking the stones and find myself doing so blindly. The ring in my avatar houses a big flat turq rock, it's a smooth as glass (it's from the 30's), my fingers can't help grazing the surface :smile:

Turquoise comes in many grades of quality and color. The more veining (in black spider) the more expensive. Turquoise can be ripped off in many ways and then passed on as REAL turquoise. For instances trash remnants of turquoise without mineral copper coloring is ground up, formed and dyed blue. These rocks are passed as "turquoise". Also China will take white porous substances and dye them blue, thus passing those stones as "real turquoise". Ever go into one of those cheap Chinese import shops and they have TONS of turquoise jewelry CHEAP??? Now you know why.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandicat3
I just had new leather concho backs made for a concho belt. I have had this belt for years and have been told that it's museum quality, although I have never verified this. I do think it's beautiful.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 454
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 459
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 465
I also love stroking the stones and find myself doing so blindly. The ring in my avatar houses a big flat turq rock, it's a smooth as glass (it's from the 30's), my fingers can't help grazing the surface :smile:

Turquoise comes in many grades of quality and color. The more veining (in black spider) the more expensive. Turquoise can be ripped off in many ways and then passed on as REAL turquoise. For instances trash remnants of turquoise without mineral copper coloring is ground up, formed and dyed blue. These rocks are passed as "turquoise". Also China will take white porous substances and dye them blue, thus passing those stones as "real turquoise". Ever go into one of those cheap Chinese import shops and they have TONS of turquoise jewelry CHEAP??? Now you know why.
I understand what you mean completely. Sometimes a piece just...communicates somehow. I love when that happens but it is rare. I've seen the very blue, cheap turquoise that you're talking about. Even without knowing about turquoise I hated it because it really does look very cheap. I think sometimes when we refine a stone or metal too much it loses its spirit. I remember many years ago looking at gold jewellery in Venezuela and it was explained to me that no one bought local gold as they found it too rough. They bought the imported gold from Italy. But I thought the colour of the local gold was intensely beautiful. It looked like something you would use to adorn temples and offer to rulers from neighbouring lands. Next to it the super smooth European gold looked lifeless.

Reactions: QueenofWrapDress
I understand what you mean completely. Sometimes a piece just...communicates somehow. I love when that happens but it is rare. I've seen the very blue, cheap turquoise that you're talking about. Even without knowing about turquoise I hated it because it really does look very cheap. I think sometimes when we refine a stone or metal too much it loses its spirit. I remember many years ago looking at gold jewellery in Venezuela and it was explained to me that no one bought local gold as they found it too rough. They bought the imported gold from Italy. But I thought the colour of the local gold was intensely beautiful. It looked like something you would use to adorn temples and offer to rulers from neighbouring lands. Next to it the super smooth European gold looked lifeless.
I would love to see pictures comparing the hues in those metals? Whoa.

I just had new leather concho backs made for a concho belt. I have had this belt for years and have been told that it's museum quality, although I have never verified this. I do think it's beautiful.
There is coin silver and then there's sterling silver. Old coin is silver coins melted to makes the pieces, they patina like pewter (:love:). Many of my NAJ is Museum and they have a heaviness, soulful feel. Just like ur belt. I want a modeling shot, that thing is insane!

There is coin silver and then there's sterling silver. Old coin is silver coins melted to makes the pieces, they patina like pewter (:love:). Many of my NAJ is Museum and they have a heaviness, soulful feel. Just like ur belt. I want a modeling shot, that thing is insane!
I'll do a modeling shot the next time I'm wearing something appropriate. The belt is massive and I will need to remove some of the conches even though I am heavy. I did dig out another bag of stuff....all of it tarnished badly, as I never wear it. It is all part of a large collection I put together in the 80's. I think there may be another bag somewhere, but I haven't seen it in awhile. I hope these photos come out ok as I took them with my iPad. I felt it was only appropriate to take an additional shot in front of a horse painting, given the theme. I gave much of my collection to a cousin but kept a few pieces that were important to me. i finally got an upright photo posted....a long ways down....keep scrolling....

Oops. On my computer these appeared upside down. On my ipad they look fine. Go figure

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 461
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Reactions: GoStanford
I'll do a modeling shot the next time I'm wearing something appropriate. The belt is massive and I will need to remove some of the conches even though I am heavy. I did dig out another bag of stuff....all of it tarnished badly, as I never wear it. It is all part of a large collection I put together in the 80's. I think there may be another bag somewhere, but I haven't seen it in awhile. I hope these photos come out ok as I took them with my iPad. I felt it was only appropriate to take an additional shot in front of a horse painting, given the theme.
One more try. Without defying gravity this time....I hope.

Ok...that didn't work. If anyone here does yoga, a headstand will make it easier to see these!!!!!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 448
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Please bear with me. I'm frustrated and going to try something else.
OH MY!! Those squash blossom necklaces (especially the one with the dangling coins) are totally drool worthy. My SB piece is newer, yours has some age and fabulous characteristic touches. Ouch makes me want more then one. Gotta stop myself.....

GULP!

OH MY!! Those squash blossom necklaces (especially the one with the dangling coins) are totally drool worthy. My SB piece is newer, yours has some age and fabulous characteristic touches. Ouch makes me want more then one. Gotta stop myself.....

GULP!
They've been in a plastic zip lock bag for most of the last 30 years "developing patina" which is only a nicer way of saying "getting really tarnished". The issue is now that I would need to clean things in order to get enough tarnish off them that it doesn't come off onto my clothing, but I don't like the way it looks when it's too clean! Besides, I'm now so into Elsa Peretti that there's little chance of going back. I also have comfort issues with the weight of the necklaces. I have been thinking about selling some of my pieces but have been too lazy to take action....as usual.

Although I am sure everyone already knows this, but I just wanted to interject that Native American jewelry is NOT necessarily synonymous with turquoise. That is a southwestern thing, which is best known and very popular, but many other Native American groups use abalone shell, coral, bone, copper and other materials. I would hate to see people who aren't turquoise fans dismiss the idea of Native American jewelry, because some of it is very beautiful and very different from what is seen in this thread.

Reactions: QueenofWrapDress
Although I am sure everyone already knows this, but I just wanted to interject that Native American jewelry is NOT necessarily synonymous with turquoise. That is a southwestern thing, which is best known and very popular, but many other Native American groups use abalone shell, coral, bone, copper and other materials. I would hate to see people who aren't turquoise fans dismiss the idea of Native American jewelry, because some of it is very beautiful and very different from what is seen in this thread.
OMYGOSH absolutely. Please show us what you may have!! I'm getting a mediterranean coral cuff (much bigger) then the one in my avatar. Had it on lay-away for a while. This coral can not be farmed anymore, so what's on the market is all that is left. Thus those items can be pricey.

Personally I'm not a copper fan, so I don't have NAJ with that element, however, I do have abalone shell and coral. Love to see some bone pieces?