Question for purse owners in college

Ladies, lets remember you should not bring too many valuable items your first year of school. Bring the essentials and by all means, never ever leave money in your room. Even if it's locked up, keep it with you if you have to, but even better, put it in the bank.

Madie, that's a horrible story. I hope I don't end up with someone like that, because I've had to deal with people stealing my money in the workplace before and it didn't sit well with me. :rant:

Even if it's being overly cautious, I might just take my Coach bag and leave my Dior for a month to see how I can trust my roommate (even though it's going to be hard because my Dior is my everyday tote). The only other thing I have that's expensive is a necklace my boyfriend just bought me from Tiffany's, but I only take that off when I sleep.

I agree with you about the money too, elongreach.. I'm planning to keep it all in my checking account and only using my debit card.

^^ I would do that! That way you're always using your Coach bag anyway and don't have to worry about using it in your room much.

Your debit card is a good idea too, I try to NEVER carry cash. I think it's because I stopped doing it back in college when a few dollars would 'dissappear' every now and then, and then my first year of work I worked at a school where the kids would steal all of the money out of your wallet!

anotheremptysky said:
^^ I would do that! That way you're always using your Coach bag anyway and don't have to worry about using it in your room much.

Your debit card is a good idea too, I try to NEVER carry cash. I think it's because I stopped doing it back in college when a few dollars would 'dissappear' every now and then, and then my first year of work I worked at a school where the kids would steal all of the money out of your wallet!
During my first job (last summer, I was 16) at a retail store in the mall there was a girl who would steal money right out of our wallets too. One time I had fifty dollars stolen. In the end, I heard that most of my co-workers ended up getting fired for stealing the merchandise, but I hadn't stuck around long enough to see it. It just really makes you less trusting of people. :shrugs:

i worked at a store in the mall when i was 17ish and i would SEE my co-workers stealing THOUSANDS of dollars worth of merch. it was pathetic! like how ghetto can you be? and my MANAGER got fired from her last 3 jobs because she was a celly theif! she'd steal her coworkers cellys! it was SO sketch. whenever i'd go to the bathroom, etc, id take my expensive purses with me! one time i left my super expensive jacket there when i took off for the night and MADE my bf drive all the way back to get it!! the 30 min drive was def worth it... sketchy ppl!!

Definitely get a trunk with a lock and get your roomate to get in the habit of always locking the door when you guy leave and don't let anyone in there without either of you in the room at the same time. My roomate back in college used to leave her friends in the room by themselves all the time and I had things stolen from me. I made the mistake of being too trusting.

elongreach said:
I just left my college apartment/dorm and let me tell you it's all about how much YOU trust your roommates. I was lucky that we all had locks to our doors, but I never locked my room. I had thousands of dollars worth of bags in there and never once wondered if they were still there.

So if I were you, I would bring a trunk and put your bags in the trunk until you know what your roommate(s) are like. Especially if you don't know them. That way you can lock them up. Don't automatically assume they won't take them.

Totally agree.

I never once worried about this.

People left rooms unlocked with their computers and electronics still in their rooms. Nothing got stolen.

BUT I went to a small private college.

I know people who went to Big Ten schools and stuff got stolen all the time....

Heh, I'm going to a large university with a reputation as a party school :wtf: And the fact that it's full of rich kids doesn't really help because I've learned that sometimes those are the worst when it comes to stealing.

Cat Lover said:
Heh, I'm going to a large university with a reputation as a party school :wtf: And the fact that it's full of rich kids doesn't really help because I've learned that sometimes those are the worst when it comes to stealing.

That's right. Stealing is everywhere. Don't let people fool you into thinking anything is safe if you don't know them. Rich people steal just as bad and anyone else.