Question about platinum (and some venting)

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. Here's an update:

The ring designer wrote back...she has no idea why the micro pave part of the setting was yellowing. She reiterated that the ring was completely platinum, including the fillings. She recommended that I get the ring ultrasonically cleaned, and if the spots are still there, to bring it back to her to fix.

I took the ring to Charleston Alexander in VA and this is what happened: The technician used the ultrasonic cleaner to try and clean the ring. When the ring came out, those spots were still there. She then tried scrubbing the halo, but again, the spots were still there.
She then examined the ring with a loop, and noted that it looked like some sort of "gold" was used to solder parts of the ring. In her opinion, she said it was possible that soldering was needed AFTER the little diamonds were set. She explained to me that once diamonds are set, you should not use platinum to solder as it could damage the diamonds, so she thinks that some sort of gold (yellow maybe) was used to solder.
She said that we could have it re-plated with rhodium, but that the yellowing was likely to happen again, and we'd have to continually replate it. The other option she suggested was that we get the ring reset completely. Either way, she said that this kind of yellowing should not happen so soon.

I also contacted an independent appraiser in the DC area. She took one look at the picture I took of the spots and immediately said that gold was used to solder.

So, my FI and I e-mailed the ring designer and we're waiting back on what she says.

So sorry you have to go thru this. I would hate to have this for a ring, especially since its your engagement ring. What a nightmare!. :nuts:

Its very interesting. Please keep us posted as to what the ring designer says.

I think she should redo the setting completely. :yes:

So sorry you have to go thru this. I would hate to have this for a ring, especially since its your engagement ring. What a nightmare!. :nuts:

Its very interesting. Please keep us posted as to what the ring designer says.

I think she should redo the setting completely. :yes:

I would ask that she redo the setting as well. I would consider it a pain in the butt to have to get the ring replated every so often to cover the yellowing--and only after 2 weeks! Please keep us updated.

Yeah, my Scott Kay just says PLAT as well.......I have one thought, sometimes there some (ok, can't spell this) sodering that may need to be done on a ring... I remember being told by some inexpensive jewerly store once when purchasing a cheap fashion diamond ring in white gold that they can size it but usually when they size white gold rings they wind up having some yellow show up, like they material they use once the ring is made smaller to mend it back together is gold??? (again, not a jeweler and not 100% sure how they even do this).....Now this is just a long shot but maybe it's something like this that happened and then they dipped it (but not good enough) to blend everything in.....
True white gold is pale yellow but most of what we see and consider WG is rhodium plated. So the sizing thing makes sense if it was not a gerat craftsman. The Plat. spot i have no idea but hope it turns out ok! I'd be flipping too but congrats on your engagement!

Oh my i just read the updated post...i know they can't sauder (sp?) with plat when diamonds are there b/c it takes a higher heat to melt plat and it would melt the diamonds too. I had two balls put into my band rather than sizing down to more easily take out if i gain weight rather than cut plat. away and also acts as a euroshank to keep it from flipping on my finger from being top heavy and they used wh gold balls in it for that resaon. I hope you follow through and they make this right for you!

Hi everyone!

I spoke with the ring designer today. She called me earlier today to apologize for everything. She reiterated how everything she used was platinum, right down to the soldering. She told me that she left a message for the person who set the ring to confirm whether he used anything other than platinum.

My FI and I made an appointment with her on the 21st. We're going to drop the ring off. She said that she is going to try a few buffing techniques and if that does not work, she will reset the ring. I think my FI and I are going to insist on her resetting the ring when we see her in person. I'd hate for her to try something, and inadvertently damage one of the diamonds.

I feel pretty good about the situation - she was really apologetic and said that something like this has never happened before.

So, I'll post again when we know more information.

And, thanks again for all the encouraging messages.

i think you have handled this beautifully. the responses you have received are thoughtful and informative, i am amazed at the knowledge!

it is good that you are giving your jeweler an opportunity to make it right, i hope she will do what is necessary to fix it.

i have no knowledge of platinum, but i have several rings, and although the platinum does scratch..and can become almost dull looking...it doesn't yellow (as you know)

congratulations on your beautiful ring, please let us know the outcome!

Thanks for your input. It's interesting to read about the chemistry behind it.

I feel like I have to clarify something - I was not suggesting that the platinum setting itself cost $10,000; rather, the ring in total cost at that amount. I understand what you are trying to say, that pure platinum would cost more than that, and my understanding of something stamped "PLAT" is that it is 95% platinum, with 5% mixed metals, so I was not suggesting that my ring was "pure" platinum.

My main issue is, that in the two forums where I have posted this problem, and with the numerous jewelers I have spoken with over the last few days, the ring SHOULD NOT appear to "tarnish" - which is what the two spots resemble, especially for something so new. The other issue is, that if the ring was something other than the "PLAT", that perhaps it was gold and plated with something else, there is an ethical issue involved as the jeweler who made the ring did not tell us about it.

I am posting a picture to show the problem.

:nuts: Gorgeous ring! Congrats! But wow, yeah... those spots are really noticeable.:confused1: :confused1: :confused1:

UPDATE: My FI and I went to Philly yesterday to meet with the jewelry designer. She told us that she believes the setter was using a tool that had remnants of yellow gold on it to set my ring. Normally, she would have set my ring, but was VERY pregnant at the time that she was making my ring, so she outsourced all of her setting work. She told us that she has separate tools for different metals, so if she had set the ring herself, this would not have happened. She fixed the problem (not entirely sure how, but she used quite a few tools), rebuffed, and polished the ring. I'm quite happy with the outcome, but I am keeping an eye on it. If it happens again, we will insist on her re-doing the entire ring. She offered to give us a discount on our wedding bands for the inconvenience as well.