Price differences

Just off the top of my head I know that Pennsylvania (King of Prussia Hermes) does not charge sales tax on clothing and scarves are included in that amount but I don't know about other items such as handbags. I only know of one other state that doesn't have a sales tax but there is no Hermes there (Oregon).

Hermes in Hawaii is a good deal because their sales tax is only 4.85% (or close to that). That's a nice savings on a big ticket item. However, if you have something shipped to you in another state you will be charged the state or local rate.

This is why I try to buy shoes, clothing and H scarves in NJ rather than my home state of NY where the local sales tax is 8.125%. Unfortunately tax is added when I have to get items ordered and shipped home from stores that have a presence in NY, even if I "bought" them in NJ.

Luckily the NJ H boutiques are closer to me than the NY ones. :smile:

Are there Hermes stores in US states with no sales tax? I was sad when the Saks in Portland, Oregon closed (even though their selection was awful) because it was like having a 9% off coupon everywhere you go!
Hermes at KOP, PA If you have long relationship with the SA, he/she can ship you merchandises to Maryland where no Hermes store to be found. Which means no tax if your billing address is in this state.

This might be common knowledge, but I thought it would be interesting to see the price differences you're paying for a Birkin 30 Togo across major markets. I took the list of 2014 prices in the Shopping section and applied today's exchange rates. Since the published prices for Canada, US and Japan excluded tax I applied a typical GST to those prices. Lowest of course is France at 100%, the rest are indexed to France. You will also need to apply any VAT refunds you can expect yourself because it varies by citizenship.

France: 100%
Canada (5% gst): 118%
England: 119%
Hong Kong: 123%
Australia: 128%
US (9% gst): 130%
Japan (8% gst): 133%
Singapore: 138%
Reseller (assuming $16k usd for B30 togo): 185%

Australian prices also include 10% GST.... and I don't know why, but our prices are definitely more expensive than the US

This might be common knowledge, but I thought it would be interesting to see the price differences you're paying for a Birkin 30 Togo across major markets. I took the list of 2014 prices in the Shopping section and applied today's exchange rates. Since the published prices for Canada, US and Japan excluded tax I applied a typical GST to those prices. Lowest of course is France at 100%, the rest are indexed to France. You will also need to apply any VAT refunds you can expect yourself because it varies by citizenship.

France: 100%
Canada (5% gst): 118%
England: 119%
Hong Kong: 123%
Australia: 128%
US (9% gst): 130%
Japan (8% gst): 133%
Singapore: 138%
Reseller (assuming $16k usd for B30 togo): 185%

Canada also has province sales tax in addition to GST. e.g. In Vancouver, it used to be a total of 15% but I think that it has come down to 12%/

In the US, each state or county is different and we have a sales tax, not GST. It could vary from 4% to 9.5%. I find that excluding any sales or GST tax, the basic MSRP is cheaper in the US than Canada and Hong Kong. I bought a few scarves and SLGs in Hong Kong and realized that they were higher than the US even if I added sales tax. So no more buying in Asia.

Canada also has province sales tax in addition to GST. e.g. In Vancouver, it used to be a total of 15% but I think that it has come down to 12%/

In the US, each state or county is different and we have a sales tax, not GST. It could vary from 4% to 9.5%. I find that excluding any sales or GST tax, the basic MSRP is cheaper in the US than Canada and Hong Kong. I bought a few scarves and SLGs in Hong Kong and realized that they were higher than the US even if I added sales tax. So no more buying in Asia.

No wonder. I bought a couple small things while on holiday in Canada last month and was shocked at how much they were compared to US!