Prada Under LVHM Since 2001

BareniaKelly

Jan 24, 2024
My last Prada purchase and the last time I was in love with them was 2008.

My first was in 1997 when I spotted those marble like shadings on beautiful shiny leathers. Anyone remember those? Those horn textured plastics. What beauties. How different. Then came the bowling themes. The bags. The boots. You guys should check those out. If you experienced this era, lucky us I'd say.

I still remember vividly my obsession with their antiqued deer skin range around 2008. I remember this because I just started a new job at the time I think.

These deer skins are not the best long term compared to natural single grain premium quality leather which can only look nicer with age, wear, oil, and dirt. Deer skin is delicate. You can't oil it the same way when it started scuffing. But what a beauty when they spray painted those darker shadows to mimic natural patina. What buttery soft leather. What a look. Around the same time or just before were those shaded antiqued crunched buttery soft smooth leathers formed into bags. Delicious.

Then.

Meh.

I attributed this period of personal indifference to Prada after to the big changes I experienced in my life around the late 2000s and early 2010s.

But as I look back, feeling nostalgic about Prada and wondering what they have for us these days, I realised that was it for me. There were the occasional interesting items for me personally. But nothing as explosive as the ones before.

Yes, I understand that taste is personal.

But upon hearing that LVMH have acquired majority shareholder in Prada in 2001, things fell into place for me. Usually, things run the way they did before for a number of years after an acquisition or after certain majority took over. Then slowly they transitioned.

In my opinion this transition might have happened after about 10 years. The same happened with a fountain pen company LVMH acquired and destroyed (OMAS). Things went as they were for a number of years. Then....

Any of you here were around back in the day prior to LVHM?

Do you feel the same?

Thoughts?

I have been away from the luxury scene for awhile, and when I returned just to check things out, I am shocked to see how many of the brands have become LVMH owned.

I thought fashion just got boring! Everyone looks like everyone else!

The question is, where will this road be heading as more corporations are buying independent design houses to compete with each other?

Is there a sub forum to discuss this instead of under brand specific forum?

My last Prada purchase and the last time I was in love with them was 2008.

My first was in 1997 when I spotted those marble like shadings on beautiful shiny leathers. Anyone remember those? Those horn textured plastics. What beauties. How different. Then came the bowling themes. The bags. The boots. You guys should check those out. If you experienced this era, lucky us I'd say.

I still remember vividly my obsession with their antiqued deer skin range around 2008. I remember this because I just started a new job at the time I think.

These deer skins are not the best long term compared to natural single grain premium quality leather which can only look nicer with age, wear, oil, and dirt. Deer skin is delicate. You can't oil it the same way when it started scuffing. But what a beauty when they spray painted those darker shadows to mimic natural patina. What buttery soft leather. What a look. Around the same time or just before were those shaded antiqued crunched buttery soft smooth leathers formed into bags. Delicious.

Then.

Meh.

I attributed this period of personal indifference to Prada after to the big changes I experienced in my life around the late 2000s and early 2010s.

But as I look back, feeling nostalgic about Prada and wondering what they have for us these days, I realised that was it for me. There were the occasional interesting items for me personally. But nothing as explosive as the ones before.

Yes, I understand that taste is personal.

But upon hearing that LVMH have acquired majority shareholder in Prada in 2001, things fell into place for me. Usually, things run the way they did before for a number of years after an acquisition or after certain majority took over. Then slowly they transitioned.

In my opinion this transition might have happened after about 10 years. The same happened with a fountain pen company LVMH acquired and destroyed (OMAS). Things went as they were for a number of years. Then....

Any of you here were around back in the day prior to LVHM?

Do you feel the same?

Thoughts?

I have been away from the luxury scene for awhile, and when I returned just to check things out, I am shocked to see how many of the brands have become LVMH owned.

I thought fashion just got boring! Everyone looks like everyone else!

The question is, where will this road be heading as more corporations are buying independent design houses to compete with each other?

Is there a sub forum to discuss this instead of under brand specific forum?

Please cite your source on this.

Please cite your source on this.
I stand corrected. LVMH bought Prada's stake in Fendi in 2001, and various other Prada shares in other fashion houses such as their share in Gucci in 1999.

Sources: