PLEASE HELP!!! Decision between White or Yellow Gold MOP ALHAMBRA Necklace

Both are beautiful. I went into the VC&A store on Old Bond Street in London before Christmas for a look. The staff could not have been nicer especially considering I only wanted a catalogue and there was a Russian couple in there buying over 200k sterling worth of jewellery.

Both are beautiful. I agree with everyone here. You have to see the jewellery against your skin to see which looks best. It is not enough to see the catalogue or the website.

Post pics when you make your purchase! I'm still saving but very nearly there.

VKD

Lucky Alhambra is done in 2 combinations : 1. In yellow gold with leaves in malachite, hearts in carnelian and butterflies in tiger eye and clovers in white mother of pearl.
2. In white gold with hearts in white mother of pearl, butterflies in turquoise, stars in grey mother of pearl and clovers in lapis lazuli.
Check out the VCA reference thread, posts # 7, 24, 36, 53, 59, 113

Vancleef Fan - Thank you for all those wonderful pics in the reference thread...they are absolutely TDF!!!! Geez, wish I can have them all.....

Calisnoopy - I absolutely LOVE your magic necklace. That was one of the choices I was also considering, but after finding out that it's around $4000 more than the vintage 20 motif, I thought I should go with the vintage and then perhaps buy a pair of matching stud earrings or bracelet somewhere down the line.

OMG this is one of the hardest decisions!! I went YG then took it back and exchanged for the WG!

I LOVE the YG in the case and on the ads... maybe more than the WG. BUT I did find it "fancier" and although you could totally wear it with jeans or whatever, I felt like the WG could go either way a bit more easily. But then I didn't own much YG at the time either so the idea was a bit foreign to me!

I've since bought a WG/Turquoise and a YG/MOP bracelet ... a rose gold magic pendant and YG/MOP ear studs! So I guess I'm saying they are ALL gorgeous! Go with your gut. Don't worry about what's been around longer or is more classic or whatever. I have heard that the WG is more popular in North America, the YG in Europe... either way they are all stunning!! :smile:

I began to think I should get a MOP Alhambra necklace before a Pelree bracelet. WG or YG??? Then I found this 3-year old thread!! The only problem is that my dh does not like the necklace very much... sigh...:huh:

Thank you Vancleef Fan! I will be traveling to Los Angeles and will definitely make a trip to VCA to see the necklaces in person. Hope I come home with something special! Will keep you posted.....

I like the L.A. shop! That was the first one I ever went into, and I was NOT prepared for the prices, though I am over it now lol!
I bought the MOP single vintae clover in YG, and I am not a huge fan of YG. I feel the MOP looks MUCH better with the YG!
Good luck with your decision!

you cannot go wrong with either. i just got the yellow gold mother of pearl sweet earrings. i tried the white and the yellow. with my skin tone, i can really wear either white or yellow but thought the mother of pearl 'popped' more set in the yellow gold.

does white or yellow gold look better on you?

Agreed that the yellow gold "looks like more" and if you're spending that kind of money, the necklace should pop. VCA alhambra pieces are understated to begin with, so you almost need that extra umph. As for my DH not liking the necklaces, my mom was the same way until she saw the modern collection on me which looked more substantial on. Maybe try that. You might be surprised!