Please help a newbie out!

I am not sure what your dream is, but I think I understand the thinking.
I would like a piece by Goyard and also a piece of Bottega Veneta intrecciato, but there is nothing specific.
If you feel you would like to have a piece by Hermes and have been stymied at the first hurdle, why not consider a Bastia or Calvi. You local boutique must surely have some of these.
They are echt Hermes, bound to be useful, not silly money.
AND you would have started to patronise your local boutique.

Oh I know production is very limited, but there’s still a little hope with the new factory they opened last month (one can dream!)
I am not ready for preloved yet and really want to explore my possibilities, also because I haven’t even purchased a single item yet. I am willing to spend years on this dream, and I know it is very likely to evolve as I go along, which makes things quite fun actually. But I was curious to know how accurate the I do I was given yesterday was, things seem so foggy to me!
Sounds quite accurate. It was also my understanding (anyone with better info should feel to correct me) that the opening of additional factories is to accommodate the strong demand in Asia which accounts for stellar company growth during recession. If you think of shopping as a game with a bag as the prize, you will grow frustrated. It’s business, and Hermes wants its bags with clients who love adore other, less popular aspects of the brand and have the wherewithal to purchase without regard to spend ratios. Ironically, the clients who value other metiers more than bags actually get more leather offers. The majority of H clients want first floor merchandise like silk and leather accessories, including shoes, and it’s difficult to distinguish oneself this way. It’s been my observation that Hermes sees new customers like this as one of transactions, and not a growth client.

Post Covid, I am not even sure that it’s simply a waiting game for new clients who patronize European and UK boutiques, as the goal posts that define a new desired client are spiraling ever higher.

JMO and YMMV

ETA: while this is a post focused on unique interactions with a tiny boutique, you might find a more nuanced view in the other threads, ie, French Boutiques (other than Paris); Hermes relationship thread; BKC prespend, or even how to get the first BKC.

There is no reason not to check out both boutique and resale opportunities at the same time. Since you are in France, perhaps you can try Paris lottery. In addition, i would not dismiss the resale market especially for box kelly bags. I was fortunate to get several bags, including a blue gray box sellier kelly 28, phw, in stellar condition for 7K USD from a Japanese reseller, during Covid shelter in place. No one was buying resale. I doubt prices will ever go so low again, but there are plenty of kelly bags in Bleu marine at resale.

@WhiteBus, I need a t shirt proclaiming echt Hermes :P In fact,if Hermes were to design one, i think it might be a best seller. A few weeks ago, there was a considerable calvi shortage at FSH lol.

ETA: French SAs absolutely give out their cards, but apparently less readily (from various TPF threads) to those they consider pleasant one-of transactions (those that are not interested in anything off their list) or those whose main purpose is a BKC.

Last edited:
Sounds quite accurate. It was also my understanding (anyone with better info should feel to correct me) that the opening of additional factories is to accommodate the strong demand in Asia which accounts for stellar company growth during recession. If you think of shopping as a game with a bag as the prize, you will grow frustrated. It’s business, and Hermes wants its bags with clients who love adore other, less popular aspects of the brand and have the wherewithal to purchase without regard to spend ratios. Ironically, the clients who value other metiers more than bags actually get more leather offers. The majority of H clients want first floor merchandise like silk and leather accessories, including shoes, and it’s difficult to distinguish oneself this way. It’s been my observation that Hermes sees new customers like this as one of transactions, and not a growth client.

Post Covid, I am not even sure that it’s simply a waiting game for new clients who patronize European and UK boutiques, as the goal posts that define a new desired client are spiraling ever higher.

JMO and YMMV

ETA: while this is a post focused on unique interactions with a tiny boutique, you might find a more nuanced view in the other threads, ie, French Boutiques (other than Paris); Hermes relationship thread; BKC prespend, or even how to get the first BKC.

There is no reason not to check out both boutique and resale opportunities at the same time. Since you are in France, perhaps you can try Paris lottery. In addition, i would not dismiss the resale market especially for box kelly bags. I was fortunate to get several bags, including a blue gray box sellier kelly 28, phw, in stellar condition for 7K USD from a Japanese reseller, during Covid shelter in place. No one was buying resale. I doubt prices will ever go so low again, but there are plenty of kelly bags in Bleu marine at resale.

@WhiteBus, I need a t shirt proclaiming echt Hermes :P In fact,if Hermes were to design one, i think it might be a best seller. A few weeks ago, there was a considerable calvi shortage at FSH lol.

ETA: French SAs absolutely give out their cards, but apparently less readily (from various TPF threads) to those they consider pleasant one-of transactions (those that are not interested in anything off their list) or those whose main purpose is a BKC.
Thank you so much for your reply and tips.

It looks like I have much to learn :smile:

There are so many items I want to purchase, collier de chien belt, Kelly belt, Kelly platform shoes, mosaïque vide poche… my first wish is the Chypre sandals, mostly because summer is coming very fast and I need a pair of sandals. The very last wish is the Kelly bag. I don’t need it yet per say.

I actually visited the FSH boutique a couple of weeks ago, it was almost like being in a museum. Masterpieces everywhere. I was in such awe I had the most difficult time explaining why I was there or even asking for the objects in which I was interested.

I just finished reading an article about the new factories, three more are on the way, one per year until 2026. Like the Dior and Vuitton factories nearby, I am quite sure most of the production goes overseas.

Reactions: 880
I am not sure what your dream is, but I think I understand the thinking.
I would like a piece by Goyard and also a piece of Bottega Veneta intrecciato, but there is nothing specific.
If you feel you would like to have a piece by Hermes and have been stymied at the first hurdle, why not consider a Bastia or Calvi. You local boutique must surely have some of these.
They are echt Hermes, bound to be useful, not silly money.
AND you would have started to patronise your local boutique.

Thank you so much for taking some of your time to help me.

I actually want to purchase a Kelly belt as well as a collier de chien belt. She put down my name on her notepad for the color I want for the Kelly belt as she only had black. I didn’t ask for collier de chien, I hope they haven’t been discontinued (see, I really am a newbie, I know so little). I was planning to get a Bastia with the mini Evelyne, depending on the color I would be offered, if they have any when I visit the Cannes boutique next week.

H has been opening new factories since 2017 (maybe even earlier) and they never managed to catch up with the demand, and from the looks of it, got worse after the pandemic.

Even they can't catch up with their own creations, i.e. some bags they show on the runway and the catalogues would appear in stores a few years after their designated season. Examples are Sac Maximors, Dr. No bag (snorkel Plume), birkins with painted outlines, etc.
How interesting! Thank you so much, I love learning more about Hermes.

Here is some good news...Box calf, which we mainly see in store in Noir and occasionally Rouge H, is now coming into production in a navy blue.

Also you are in France (as am I) which does still have the best inventory of the heritage and limited bags.

So making your love of a blue Box calf bag known would not be a bad thing.

Here is some good news...Box calf, which we mainly see in store in Noir and occasionally Rouge H, is now coming into production in a navy blue.

Also you are in France (as am I) which does still have the best inventory of the heritage and limited bags.

So making your love of a blue Box calf bag known would not be a bad thing.

Merci pour l’info!!! This is the best piece of news. Keeping my fingers crossed. Were you told in Paris? Have you had better experience in FSH or Sèvres?

Merci pour l’info!!! This is the best piece of news. Keeping my fingers crossed. Were you told in Paris? Have you had better experience in FSH or Sèvres?
I live in Paris, but was actually first told this at a store I shop at in the US.

My Paris SA told me it is Bleu Saphir or possibly Bleu Marine. Vert Foncé is apparently also possible but none of my SAs have seen it in actuality.

Hi, can I please know the retail price of Kelly 25 in box? And if you don’t mind answering, how much was your prespend? :blush:
Hi~ It was 15,400USD.
I've been with my SA for a little while now and my offers come kinda randomly, sometimes after 3x, sometimes after 0.5x, so it's tough to calculate on a per bag basis (I've stopped trying to keep track :sweatdrop:), it's all about timing when my store actually receives a bag that I'd want.

Hi~ It was 15,400USD.
I've been with my SA for a little while now and my offers come kinda randomly, sometimes after 3x, sometimes after 0.5x, so it's tough to calculate on a per bag basis (I've stopped trying to keep track :sweatdrop:), it's all about timing when my store actually receives a bag that I'd want.
Thanks so much for your information!:heart:
I love box leather Kelly so much and heard the pre-spend is about 1M so I’m wondering. Box Kelly inventory seems pretty rare.