Perming for Asian Hair?

^^
Lol, I was freaking out for the first two days because this is my first time ever getting a perm. I didn't know that washing it would bring the curls back to life. My hair feels better and better everyday. It feels almost like it used to be, except it's not as shiny anymore. I am putting leave in conditioner every night though, because I know my hair will tend to be drier than it used to.

Question though..how long will the "perm" smell in my hair linger? It's been three days, and I still smell it when I wash it.

OMG i have had the perm smell last for 2 weeks. It was AWFUL & I wanted to die! But after that it went away. I noticed that the type of water you have affects the smell. When I washed my hair at my mom's house, the smell was horrible. At my apartment, not as bad!

Update: it's been 2.5 weeks and it's still curlier than I expected. It looks like I have naturally curly hair, which I don't want. I do the twirly thing after I get out of the shower, etc. but the curls keep separating and doing their own thing ---> big curly hair. eeeeep! at least the smell's gone, but I just don't look good!

i've never had a perm in my life. i'm tempted :biggrin:

anyone know a good place in hk? there are soooooo many salons here. i just dont know which one to go to..

make sure you really, really think about it . . . I've never done it, but I have friends who have, and say their hair never was the same afterwards, even the new growth was a different texture (>(oo)<)`

hi, anyone can recommend a good place to get a digital perm in singapore? and im just really wondering if a digital perm is right for me. i have oval shaped face. im singapore chinese girl. been away for too long. miss home and really looking forward to going home. any singapore girls out there? help...

Bumping this old thread. Any one know anywhere good for a digital perm in London? I have very thick and very straight hair and really don't want to spend lots of money to have it just fall out

I did mine about a year and a half ago, and my hair is still a bit wavy. It damaged it yes, but it looked awesome :smile:!!! If you check out my blog, you can see what it looks like now 1.5 years after. My hair is originally not dead straight to begin with though, and I did a digital perm in taiwan.
most of the comments scared me on getting a perm.. do you which one is better? wave or digital?.. i already got my hair permed last year, not digital...and i want to get another one this year,..

most of the comments scared me on getting a perm.. do you which one is better? wave or digital?.. i already got my hair permed last year, not digital...and i want to get another one this year,..

I think digital is gentler on the hair! I suggest if you like the loose waves to get bigger curls done. It might fall out easier but at least you don't look like a poodle with smaller waves. Also make sure you grow your hair out to a decent length, the curls take out a lot of length from your hair so even if you have long hair you might end up with shoulder length curls!

It's still nice 2 years later I think, this is what it looks like after I leave it in a bun for half a day. (scroll down)

and this is what it does naturally. I got biggish curls done and pretty happy with it :smile:!!

Go for it!! (please don't perm bleached hair though unless you are willing to sacrifice hair quality - I did :P but its so dead now)

I think digital is gentler on the hair! I suggest if you like the loose waves to get bigger curls done. It might fall out easier but at least you don't look like a poodle with smaller waves. Also make sure you grow your hair out to a decent length, the curls take out a lot of length from your hair so even if you have long hair you might end up with shoulder length curls!

It's still nice 2 years later I think, this is what it looks like after I leave it in a bun for half a day. (scroll down)

and this is what it does naturally. I got biggish curls done and pretty happy with it :smile:!!

Go for it!! (please don't perm bleached hair though unless you are willing to sacrifice hair quality - I did :P but its so dead now)

loose waves.. your hair is pretty!. mine is a little bit longer than that..i think my hair is waist line long.. i think i'd be getting it by tomorrow. thanks for your advice.