Pearl Education (Warning: Somewhat of a Rant)

gorgeous strand japster!!

i'd love one with large pearls like that.

i ordered the pearl paradise south sea pendant necklace, i got the yellow gold with 20 inch chain. i too prefer it a bit longer, i don't like when it hits the small of my neck, i feel like it is too choker-ish on me at that length.

for anyone that shops through pearl paradise, if you sign up at mr rebates, you can click through to pearl paradise for 6% cash back. i've been using that cash back site, and click through all my usual stores and been getting back money. any little bit helps i guess.

I thought I would post some odd and maybe semi-interesting Pearl Facts every once in awhile in this thread. I have a huge page which I update all the time with random strange pearl geekery. LOL.

Fun Facts:
*Women in Rome often wore such large and heavy earrings of pearls, gold and gemstones that they had “Auricula Ornatrices,” doctresses who specialized in healing ear traumas or infections.

*Calcium Carbonate, the principle component of pearls is also the main ingredient in the antacid “Tums.”

*The structure of a pearl looks similar to an onion, with layer after layer of aragonitic material and conchiolin.

*In Medieval Europe, people often fed their blemished pearls to chickens to remove the blemishes.

*Pearls are “calcerous concretions” that develop in the soft tissue of a living animal. Calcerous concretions are produced by a variety of animal types, gastropods, squid, octopi, snails, worms, anthropods – even humans! The human version of a “pearl” is a kidney stone.

*In the 1800's, Pearl merchants would stomp on pearls to separate imitation pearls from real pearls. Pearls are very resistant to perpendicular force on their surface. This is because of their stacked interlocking layers of nacre and the conchiolin component, which cushions it. ("Pearls: Natural, Cultured, and Imitation" by Alexander E. Farn 1986)

Aww thanks. I listed tons of new stuff. My charity of the month is also in honor of TPFer & one of my dearest friends, GGA

I adore you, E. You ROCK! And the frail, elderly, chronically ill men and women with pets in my hometown thank you too. You are a lovely and generous soul.

You have no idea of the good you do. I got a letter yesterday from someone who thanked us for supplying her aging cat with food and pills, that because of those supplies, she was able to buy food. The letter brought tears to my eyes. I'm so grateful to you for helping.

Japster, I am still coveting your personal strand with that pink sapphire clasp! WOW WOW WOW!!!

Just wondering what's the total weight of the necklace? I get aches easily so am wondering if it would cause me aches when I eventually get my big pearl strand...:P

Finally got down to taking pics of my strands to date... :love:

My Rose Akoyas

attachment.php

My Blue Akoyas (except I've yet to get my hands on a matching pair of blue akoya earrings, these are grey FW studs)

attachment.php

My SSPs

attachment.php

My Tahitians

attachment.php

I love them all :yahoo:

Attachments

• 2009-07-04_104712.jpg
    2009-07-04_104712.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 981
  • 2009-07-04_104815.jpg
    2009-07-04_104815.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 964
  • 2009-07-04_104954.jpg
    2009-07-04_104954.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 1,228
  • 2009-07-04_105030.jpg
    2009-07-04_105030.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 974
Last edited:
dreamdoll, your pearls are absolutely amazing! I am particularly enchanted by the Tahitians, and the rose akoyas are beautiful with your skin tone. What a perfect collection!

dreamdoll, your pearls are absolutely amazing! I am particularly enchanted by the Tahitians, and the rose akoyas are beautiful with your skin tone. What a perfect collection!

Thank you! :flowers: The Tahitians were a surprise, I never thought I'd carry them off, but they are one of my favourites!

Dear pearl experts I have a question. I just bought a pair of hanadama pearl earrings, but now I'm wondering, doesn't hanadama pearl come with a certificate? I was searching for more info, but it seems like only pearl strands would come with a pearl certificate. But then why do pearlparadise and pearlsonly offer a certificate too? I'm confused :confused1: