PayPal seller protection?..

Ylesiya

Apr 29, 2020
Hi all, maybe someone was in a similar situation?
I have sold a Cartier bracelet to a lovely buyer, invoiced with PayPal. I shipped the next day to the USA via DHL (I am in SG), taking pics of the parcel and its contents.
The shipment got stopped by the customs and now it is hanging in limbo "for physical examination" as reported to me by DHL representative. It has been a week already. I ship a lot to the USA but this happened for the first time. Contents of the parcel is the bracelet, box, certificate, nothing prohibited.
The buyer claims that she called DHL USA to enquire about the parcel's status. They told her that they called the customs (?!) and the parcel was released by the customs and they (customs) no longer have it, suggesting opening a trace. I requested her to ask them to provide the same info in written form.
The information is super conflicting. Tracking shows "shipment was given release by the customs" but the latest status is "customs status updated" without "clearance processing complete". I am also not sure DHL can just "call customs" as she is saying. I am getting more and more concerned. I told the buyer that if there is no progress by the end of the week, I will just refund her and get along with it myself.
I was wondering whether anyone experienced anything similar? And in worst case scenario where she does not receive the item and I have neither item nor money - I suppose I am still eligible for PayPal protection?
Any advice would be appreciated :sad:

Hi,

I’m not sure if I’m understanding your post correctly. But DHL can indeed communicate with customs and get back to you or the buyer with an update. I bought a handbag from overseas recently and there was a certain department within DHL that helped me figure out what was going on with customs. I would not offer to refund the buyer unless there’s a definitive issue. If the shipment is still showing as not delivered then you should wait to see what happens. Was the item insured?

You say you "sold a Cartier bracelet to a lovely buyer, invoiced with PayPal." Does that mean that you didn't sell it through whatever site it was listed on?

What was the price paid by the buyer including shipping?