Ordering items from London shipped to USA

lovingit74

Jul 1, 2015
I recall ordering some clothes from London and although they didn’t charge me tax, the carrier made me pay a tax that was higher than my current city’s sales tax before they could release and drop it off. I researched and it said we don’t pay VAT when ordering from Europe and shipped directly to USA. So what was the tax charged? I think it came out to about 10-12%. Wasn’t that a VAT?

I recall ordering some clothes from London and although they didn’t charge me tax, the carrier made me pay a tax that was higher than my current city’s sales tax before they could release and drop it off. I researched and it said we don’t pay VAT when ordering from Europe and shipped directly to USA. So what was the tax charged? I think it came out to about 10-12%. Wasn’t that a VAT?
Those are customs duties charged by the United States. You don't pay VAT - because the item is exported from the UK to the US. You DO pay duties because the item is imported into the US from the UK.
Taxes get paid on one end or the other :shrugs:

How do they calculate duties? Is it always 10%? I remember ordering other items from UK and they just charged a shipping fee. I didn't have to pay duties when it got here. So its interesting, sometimes you pay duties from Europe to USA and sometimes you don't pay duties. I don't get it.

So they don't charge sales tax but they charge duties tax. Vat, Duties, sales. They are all some sort of taxes that get added on. Kind of all the same to me.

• Haha
Reactions: QuelleFromage
So how do you know if you have to pay additional duties tax from sites like Colotorti, Italist or Cettirre when it comes to the US?
From my experience, most of these sites (along with vestiaire and others) will indicate whether VAT is included and if you start the checkout process, it will show VAT/duties added along with regular sales tax, shipping, etc. I think this only applies to purchases over $800.