Opal rings

i have an opal ring and i have never had problems with it. i also have never heard about them being a soft stone and i have to say the ring has been through quite a bit over the last few years. i took a picture for reference. sorry for the bad quality it is nighttime here and the lighting in my room is pretty bad lol.

Attachments

• Photo 217.jpg
    Photo 217.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 290
Thanks everyone. I love all of the rings in this thread; they just make me want one of my own even more! I'm rethinking it, though, since it seems that opals really are quite fragile.

ufff.. opals are so beautiful.
OJ4576-1_300x.jpg

Hi everyone,

I've never posted in this subforum, but I am in need of your expertise. :smile: I'm looking for a unique and pretty ring. I really love opal rings, but I've been reading about how soft and fragile they are. I'm pretty clumsy, unfortunately, and I'm worried that I'd wreck the stone in some uncoordinated way. So, do any of you know just how fragile opals actually are? I'd hate to buy a gorgeous ring, only to ruin it by being a klutz.

Reactions: PunjabiStyle
Opals are 6 on the Mohs’ scale, so they are fairly soft. I have a lovely opal ring. I’ve already had to replace an opal, and you can see by one of the photos, I need to replace another one as it has cracked into two pieces. This is not a ring I wear regularly. I wish I could because I absolutely love it, but it just isn’t practical. Trying to find matching opals is also hard. The last time, it took the jeweller approximately two months to find a good match. Just to clarify, this was not a cheap ring. I think the fault lies in the opals being quite high off the setting, and my downright clumsiness.C650E20E-0DBF-45AF-8244-DC9A068ED9F8.jpeg01B8A60B-69A5-4753-B5EE-65F19A9A40F7.jpeg

Last edited: