Ode to Barenia - please show your bags and accessories :o)

Hello Barenia lovers! I saw a Barenia Halzan at H shop. I was about to buy it but I stopped, because there were already scratches (color change) on the leather. SA said, the leather is very sensitive. However, I am still thinking about her... I heard, the Barenia leather will be shiny by patina, like LV vachetta leather. What do you think, scratches will be not visible after some time? Or better to wait for another chance?

Hello Barenia lovers! I saw a Barenia Halzan at H shop. I was about to buy it but I stopped, because there were already scratches (color change) on the leather. SA said, the leather is very sensitive. However, I am still thinking about her... I heard, the Barenia leather will be shiny by patina, like LV vachetta leather. What do you think, scratches will be not visible after some time? Or better to wait for another chance?

Take a look at some of the pieces posted in the thread! It’ll give you some idea of how Barenia ages. It will get scratches, but they generally run out or blend as the leather ages. I’ve heard it said owning Barenia isn’t for the faint of heart, and if you’re obsessive about keeping your bag pristine, then Barenia might not be for you.

It may not be a good idea to generalise, but perhaps Barenia is like a wine that needs to mature. Once you have the taste for it, you understand why it is highly prized.
You need to know what you want from a leather: if it is something always smart and dressy - perhaps Barenia is not for you; if it is a 'go to' and 'use for ever' - Barenia needs to be considered. It is a leather where marks blend into a patina (no leather will withstand a gouging scratch). Over the years the patina will exude 'quality' that cannot easily be replicated. Almost like a contradiction, at the other extreme, aged Box does have similar qualities.
Remember Docride's advice to view from three feet away.
If you consider the Halzan style to be versatile and useful in many ways - Barenia could be a good choice.

If you still have reservations, walk away and leave it for someone who would kill for it.
Should you then regret it - another will come along.

Barenia does scratch very very easily, however, those small scratches rub away equally easily, then you get new ones! I love my barenia K which is nearly 20 years old and I would say I spend a lot less time stressing over this leather than any other I have owned because it is constantly evolving and unlike others a scratch or mark is rarely permanent. That said, I agree that it is more of a casual leather because as soon as you use it it will pretty much in my experience never look pristine. It is awesome for the long term though :smile:

i bought my barenia halzan31 in the summer, i think it is around july.v i used it twice so far and i dont regret my decision buying it as tho it does scratch easily, as others have said it can be rubbed off easily too.
also i keep it in my bag closet together with other H bags, so the closet is full of the smell of barenia everytime i open it. it smells lovely!

Hello dear Okiern1981, PJW5813, Tonimichelle, azukitea!

Thank you very much for your opinions! I really love love the color combo of Halzan with potiron (pumpkin). I am sure, I will love developing/evolving the natural leather texture by aging. I just worried that the halzan is already scratched/color partly changed although it is brand new. I saw also another thread concerning the issue. Now I understand, it is because of the texture of the leather.

By the way, barenia K sounds really cool :biggrin: It is really nice to use a favorite peice for many years.

Last edited: