Nice Weather for Ducks?

papertiger

MOD
Authenticator
O.G.
May 23, 2009
Just sharing:

Many of you will have noticed the change of Burberry's signature colour to ROYAL blue. The choices of colours of AW collection eluded me (I'm not usually that slow :biggrin: ). Penny dropped. Duck print, amber yellow bill...

In the United Kingdom, we share a joke about the weather: When it's raining we say "Nice weather for ducks!" Our most famous (and some of the most beautiful) are the male Mallard.

So now I get the the themes, the colours of AW. Burberry

One I saw this scarf print in-person in the the new flagship (NBS London) I knew why the strong yellow, the teals, the iridescent dark green, the iridescent dark purple, the red-brown, the orange-red

Burberry silk scarf
Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 10.37.54.png

1697363692483.png
1697363752033.png

They also go across our class system, estate lakes hunting, park ponds playing and traditional wall decoration kitsch

1960s Keele Street Pottery 'flying ducks' Stoke on Trent (Etsy)
1697364103702.png

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 11.11.11.png

Sorry, just thought I'd share my eureka moment :lol:

A duck beanie for GBP 3,000, well, that's a steal! :lol: And it's actually GBP 700 more expensive in the US, take a look: https://us.burberry.com/wool-duck-beanie-p80765811 $4,490!!! WTF

It's not that I have anything against ducks... But I don't get it.

View attachment 5876809

That's one expensive hat! I'm thinking there must be a generic children's-wear equivalent for £10 if one really wants to rock a duck on one's head :lol:

I think it must be a British obsession, we even put ducks in our baths and carve ducks into umbrella handles

Must be all the water LOL

That's one expensive hat! I'm thinking there must be a generic children's-wear equivalent for £10 if one really wants to rock a duck on one's head :lol:

I think it must be a British obsession, we even put ducks in our baths and carve ducks into umbrella handles

Must be all the water LOL
The first time I was a duck umbrella handle in a movie, I was frankly dumbfounded... But it's grown on me since then, I think it looks quite nice, even if a little bit funny. :yes:

Has Burberry ever had any designs relating to ducks in the past? Or is it completely new?

Reactions: 880
The first time I was a duck umbrella handle in a movie, I was frankly dumbfounded... But it's grown on me since then, I think it looks quite nice, even if a little bit funny. :yes:

Has Burberry ever had any designs relating to ducks in the past? Or is it completely new?

I'll have to research

They have featured rain and water many times before. The Shanghai store opening featured holographic models turning into water, they've had water, rain, rainbows and plenty other rain-related themes on the Prorsum catwalks. I will look for their history on ducks.

• Thanks
  • Insightful
Reactions: 880 and IntheOcean
More likely, there was only one and Burberry are keeping it for the archives ;)
100% either that or it’s made to order only meaning if anyone is stupid enough to buy it they have to wait 4 weeks for one of the buyers to go to Camden market and get one from the novelty hat stall for £10 then send it back out to the ‘Italian workshop’ to stitch a little Burberry tag on it and then send it back out to the buyer in a nice box. I mean you can’t argue theres 3k of value add there :graucho:

I agree with you I think they are the theme. They fit nicely with both general British rain obsession and the vague hunting/ aristo references brands like to make. I do think the ducks are very beautiful wintery jewel tones so he could’ve stood to be a little more abstract but hey I’m not a Creative Director.

I found an old sweater with an embroidered Mallard as insignia on Evil-Bay. Label says 'Burberrys' so pre1999.

Full listing here
1697398701586.png

Lots of Mallard duck ties e.g.: https://www.culturedcouturegallery.com/store/p197/Burberry_Bronze_Duck_Tie.html

More duck hunting sleuthing...

I agree with you I think they are the theme. They fit nicely with both general British rain obsession and the vague hunting/ aristo references brands like to make. I do think the ducks are very beautiful wintery jewel tones so he could’ve stood to be a little more abstract but hey I’m not a Creative Director.
Those are some great points you made. I wasn't a fan of this new theme at first, but it makes sense.
Also, I love your username! Very clever and funny. :smile:

• Thanks
Reactions: Bagatha Christie
That's a really cute embroidery! I think this duck theme is starting to grow on me. :smile: Not that I would wear that beanie!

Now I'm really intrigued to find out even more about the Mallard duck significance to Burberry and how far it goes back.

I found lots of ducks on Burberry vintage ties and duck pins, but I again, it's not unusual to have grouse, pheasants, foxes, horses etc as emblems on British traditional clothing - I just happed to be looking for ducks. Hunting as sport was (in some places still is) very important to the British countryside social calendar and I don't know how much was a motif of the House or whether (or weather) just coincidence.

Reactions: IntheOcean
Now I'm really intrigued to find out even more about the Mallard duck significance to Burberry and how far it goes back.

I found lots of ducks on Burberry vintage ties and duck pins, but I again, it's not unusual to have grouse, pheasants, foxes, horses etc as emblems on British traditional clothing - I just happed to be looking for ducks. Hunting as sport was (in some places still is) very important to the British countryside social calendar and I don't know how much was a motif of the House or whether (or weather) just coincidence.
Thank you, Papertiger! This is all quite fascinating. I've been googling the Burberry ducks, and these two pieces are so charming (they're sold out, though... :biggrin:) - the clutch and the backpack.
9ad2aed961e950fc8fa4835f1acd270b.jpg223c2dd8bba66259d409f6e6b33aa3d7.jpg75802752_cr.jpg