New to LV and seeking recommendations

@noellesmommy

My reply was too long lol

Iena PM could be another option, but it's only available in DA now. For mono and DE, it would have to be preloved. Another popular bag for those who like neverfull, but want security.
Screenshot_2021-01-27-11-29-04-1.pngScreenshot_2021-01-27-11-28-52-1.png

I use Kiwi Protect-All Waterproofer spray for all my vachetta (untanned and pre-tanned). It works for light showers and light snowfall. I don't plan on ever testing it in heavy downpours and blizzards though.

LV sells individual straps that you could buy and use with a shorter shoulder bag. This is what I do. You could also have custom made straps from Etsy -lots of people here do this.

Lastly, I know you mentioned speedy, but I'm not really a fan of speedy. It's a pit with dark lining. It's hard to find your things if they're dark-colored too. I know organizers exist, but organizers do add weight. Organizers also take up room. A Speedy 25, let's say, can now fit less things. I have a Speedy 25, and that's my current dilemma. Not a fan of the dark pit, but I don't want an organizer to take up valuable space.

Once you have a CA's number, regardless of if you bought something or not, a CA can sell you a product. Just make sure you have their LV cell number, and not the store's number. Otherwise, you will be redirected to LV corporate, who can only initiate sales for in-stock online items. LVs in dept stores will have to follow the dept store policy. If the dept store requires an in-person sale in the last 6 months or year, you have to meet that requirement before they can sell you a piece.

Hi everyone! :smile: Longtime lurker on TPF (since 2007!) but only recently starting posting.

I have finally decided to purchase a premier designer bag after a couple of decades of purchasing ones at the contemporary designer price point (Coach, Tory Burch, D&B). A few of those bags have been much used and well-loved, but I'd really like to have a collection of perhaps 3 designer bags that can get me through 99% of the situations I'd need them for. After reading threads here on TPF, I am specifically attracted to LV for the quality of workmanship, the (relatively!) affordable price point, and for LV's commitment to the customer (repairs/recalls/etc) after the sale, as well as the fact that these bags (esp mono) seem to hold their value fairly well. I will say that my favorite bag I ever owned, and that I STILL mourn the loss of, was the Coach Ali Leather Legacy Flap Shoulder Bag in Whiskey with the striped lining...that bag was perfection for my style/lifestyle. I adored it and wore it until the strap split and couldn't be fixed, and if Coach ever reissued it I would buy it in a heartbeat!

For my first purchase, I'd like to find a crossbody bag (bonus points if it can also be worn as a shoulder bag) in a mid-tone brown, with a budget of up to $2500. It needs to fit a small wallet/card case (bonus points for fitting a full size wallet), both an eyeglass and sunglass case, a pocket sized planner (3x5), keys, my regrettably large iPhone XS Max (seemed like a great idea when I bought it, but now I curse its size!), and a small Longchamp zippered pouch that holds lip balm, lipstick, emergency Tylenol, etc. Ideally it would be a bag that 10 years from now I could still wear without it looking dated.

I am a stay at home wife and mom in my late 40s, so my life is pretty casual 99% of the time. In terms of the way I dress, think Kristen Bell in The Good Place (skinny jeans, sweater, button downs, with flats/loafers/Stan Smiths) or J Crew with a dash of Rails. I'm only 5'0" and a size 4, so some bags that average to taller people wear well overwhelm me and look kind of ridiculous.

I love the DE print, and the mono is growing on me (I think I OD'd on Coach's mono back in the early to mid 2000s and am just now starting to get over it, lol). I have had several friends tell me I should just get the Neverfull MM or PM because it's so versatile and useful and that I won't mind that it's not a crossbody, but the fact that it's open on top makes me really nervous to use it as an everyday bag. I have a HUGE crush on the Pochette Metis in the reverse mono print (but some say it can be harder to style than the mono??), and I also like the Alma BB in DE, but I wonder if maybe it looks a tad too dressy/structured for my usual attire. Unfortunately I live in a very small town in the middle of nowhere right now, 4 hours away from the nearest store that would actually have any LV I could see in person, but my husband and I have a trip to Hawaii that we're planning for late spring (fingers crossed we're vaccinated by then!) when I could see and try on the bags in person. I would love some recommendations for other LV bags I should consider from the devoted and knowledgeable fans on the LV board! There are also a couple of Gucci bags that have caught my eye that I'd consider too, so feel free to chime in on those as well.

If you've gotten through this post, thank you for reading! And thank you in advance for any recommendations or insights you might be able to provide.

PS -- On other threads, people have mentioned the PM being "hard to get". Please tell me this isn't a thing like Hermes where you have to buy a certain number of bags before you're offered one of these for purchase!?! I'm afraid I don't have the budget or patience for that.
Welcome to the family!
I own the pochette metis in reverse. You get a full size wallet in the middle. You won’t be able to get your glasses in with the full size wallet. You will need to down size the wallet.

speedy b is probably a good option for you.It can be worn hand held, shoulder or crossbody. I don’t care for the speedy b as I think it looks like a gym duffle. I prefer the regular 30 but everyone else loves the speedy b.

I have the Damier ebene Bloomsbury which was retired and replaced by the south bank besace. That should be a good option for you for Damier ebene.

I Love the Odeon too. I want mono with black pit can’t decide on a size. I do not like that if you have the strap on the longest setting them the loop that holds the strap is just there not holding the end of the strap. It is sewed in place. Check the clubhouse.

good luck deciding!!!!

Ok. This is going to be a long post lol

Based on what you said is your favorite bag (Coach Ali), these bags have a similar look/feel. Odeon and South Bank Besace seem to be popular choices here for casual crossbody/long shoulder bags. I don't see them that often in my local boutique, but as soon as summer hits, they start popping up in the wild. Odeon comes in a bb size too.
View attachment 4971299View attachment 4971300

Although a bit bigger than what you might be looking for, Beauborg, Siena, and Rivoli. Beauborg is a little too flashy for me, but I threw it in there since it's a flap bag. Siena is a popular bag at my boutique. I always see someone asking for it when I'm there. My CA said that people who like Neverfull but want more security tend to go for Siena. Rivoli is definitely a little more dressy, but I've seen people wear it with a t-shirt and jeans. My grandma loves her Rivoli because it's not too heavy (she's 87). She also likes that she can put more things in it, if needed.
View attachment 4971308View attachment 4971310View attachment 4971313

Other bags you might like: Marignan and Beaumarchais are both flap bags. They're a little more "equestrian-looking" than I prefer, but both bags are nice in person. Can be dressed up or down. I feel like they look best with jeans, button down, and a blazer -a little too "smart" for my tastes lol Graceful is an open bag with magnet closure (I think). Also a popular bag in my boutique. Because it's a shoulder bag, your arms will actually do a good job of keeping it inaccesible. It also slouches (hobo bag) so the opening will naturally flop over a bit, making it less of an open bag. V Tote BB is casual and fun imo. There's an MM size, but it would be over your budget.
View attachment 4971329View attachment 4971330View attachment 4971331View attachment 4971332

Now for my personal favorites for everyday: Neonoe and Montaigne. Neonoe is nice and light. You can fill it to the brim, or keep a few things inside. I can fit an umbrella and water bottle, perfect for when I'm running errands. Neonoe is my go to everyday bag, and I keep adding more. Montaigne BB would be in your budget, but it might run a little small. I have the MM size and prefer it a lot more. I like Montaigne because it can easily be dressed up or down. Both bags are open, but unless you really don't pay attention to your belongings, I don't think they should be a problem. You're a target when someone can tell you're preoccupied. Soufflot MM (treated leather) is another option. Soufflot BB is small and expensive, and Soufflot MM is expensive. Soufflot is very well made though, albeit heavy. It's quality is more similar to early 2000s LV bags, when the canvas and lining felt thicker and more substantial. It's the quality a lot of longtime LV collectors miss.
View attachment 4971340View attachment 4971341View attachment 4971363
Oh my goodness...thank you so much for this wonderfully detailed post...I love it! :heart:

Of the bags you attached photos of in this post, the ones I am most attracted to are the South Bank Besace, the Siena (would the PM be too small?), the Marignan (in sesame), and the Neonoe. The Neonoe was actually the first one I found and liked on the website, but a major drawback for me is that it doesn't have a full closure (like a zipper) at the top. For some reason, I have had bad luck with my open tote style bags toppling over either in my car or at a really inopportune time at a store (like while I'm checking out at Costco) and having the entire contents spill out. :doh: I'd also really like to try to stay under 10" for the top width, so some of these might feel a little "wide" to me. However, the ones that feel like they may be the "right" width might not hold enough! I am seeing more and more that what it's probably going to take is me actually seeing what will fit comfortably when I go into the store (do they frown on this???).

@noellesmommy

My reply was too long lol

Iena PM could be another option, but it's only available in DA now. For mono and DE, it would have to be preloved. Another popular bag for those who like neverfull, but want security.
View attachment 4971379View attachment 4971380

I use Kiwi Protect-All Waterproofer spray for all my vachetta (untanned and pre-tanned). It works for light showers and light snowfall. I don't plan on ever testing it in heavy downpours and blizzards though.

LV sells individual straps that you could buy and use with a shorter shoulder bag. This is what I do. You could also have custom made straps from Etsy -lots of people here do this.

Lastly, I know you mentioned speedy, but I'm not really a fan of speedy. It's a pit with dark lining. It's hard to find your things if they're dark-colored too. I know organizers exist, but organizers do add weight. Organizers also take up room. A Speedy 25, let's say, can now fit less things. I have a Speedy 25, and that's my current dilemma. Not a fan of the dark pit, but I don't want an organizer to take up valuable space.

Once you have a CA's number, regardless of if you bought something or not, a CA can sell you a product. Just make sure you have their LV cell number, and not the store's number. Otherwise, you will be redirected to LV corporate, who can only initiate sales for in-stock online items. LVs in dept stores will have to follow the dept store policy. If the dept store requires an in-person sale in the last 6 months or year, you have to meet that requirement before they can sell you a piece.
Thanks for all of this info...so helpful!!!

I'm with you on the organizers. I bought one out of necessity for my Longchamp Le Pliage tote, and it took a light-as-a feather bag to "these straps are digging into my shoulder!" territory...and yet when I try to go without it, it's just a big jumbled up mess. :sad:. That's why I generally prefer my bags to be "just the right size" with no surplus room.

Oh my goodness...thank you so much for this wonderfully detailed post...I love it! :heart:

Of the bags you attached photos of in this post, the ones I am most attracted to are the South Bank Besace, the Siena (would the PM be too small?), the Marignan (in sesame), and the Neonoe. The Neonoe was actually the first one I found and liked on the website, but a major drawback for me is that it doesn't have a full closure (like a zipper) at the top. For some reason, I have had bad luck with my open tote style bags toppling over either in my car or at a really inopportune time at a store (like while I'm checking out at Costco) and having the entire contents spill out. :doh: I'd also really like to try to stay under 10" for the top width, so some of these might feel a little "wide" to me. However, the ones that feel like they may be the "right" width might not hold enough! I am seeing more and more that what it's probably going to take is me actually seeing what will fit comfortably when I go into the store (do they frown on this???).
You're allowed to bring your things and see if they fit in the bags. Just be mindful of pens, hand sanitizer, lotion, anything that can damage the exterior and interior while you're trying them out.

If there are days when you need to carry more, bring those extra things. Whenever it's that time of the month, I carry a pouch of feminine products, so any everyday bag for me should be able to carry that additional thing. If your kids are younger, consider if there are any routine days where you might have to carry more.

Neonoe cinches closed pretty well. I don't close mine most of the time, and things don't really fall out from an accidental drop. From my experience, the bag has to actually be upside down when falling for things to spill. My cat has knocked my bag down plenty of times, and only once was he succesful in flipping it and having things fall out. The neonoe bottom is 10" but because of its "A" shape, the top is 7" wide. The crossbody strap length will be too long for you though. I'm 5'4" and I don't use the crossbody setting.

Siena PM shouldn't be too small. From what I've seen, this is LV sizing:
Micro: maybe you can fit a lipstick
Mini: if your phone isn't too big, you might be able to fit it
BB: usually a small crossbody size. You can usually fit most phones.
PM: standard crossbody to standard satchel size, depending on model.
MM: standard satchel size to standard tote size, depending on model.
GM: a BIG tote

You might have already decided but I’m a stay at home mom with the same styling as you. I own a empreinte pochette metis and it’s great. I also love the mini deauville with treated leather. It fits more than it looks but I’m not sure about a long wallet. Attaching photos of both.

Attachments

• F52D369C-CF25-437A-B027-40E6F48BE9F2.jpeg
    F52D369C-CF25-437A-B027-40E6F48BE9F2.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 4E2909AA-FB79-4216-8C1F-402B4905AAEC.jpeg
    4E2909AA-FB79-4216-8C1F-402B4905AAEC.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 84
  • F2A04072-BA63-40A3-BD47-7137363AF70C.jpeg
    F2A04072-BA63-40A3-BD47-7137363AF70C.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 80

I have the South Bank Besace and am about the same size as you. I like how it lays flat and doesn't add bulk, zips, has an outside pocket for my cell phone and is careful Damier Ebene. This bag also easily fits all of my everyday items, including a full size wallet. That said, the Pochette Metis also holds everything I want to carry. However, I think it is heavier than the South Bank.

Reactions: noellesmommy
I know alma bb has been ruled out but perhaps you should try it. At first I thought it would be too small but it’s actually surprising how much you can fit inside. I used mine as an everyday bag before COVID. She’s not had much use unfortunately :tdown:

I have the South Bank Besace and am about the same size as you. I like how it lays flat and doesn't add bulk, zips, has an outside pocket for my cell phone and is careful Damier Ebene. This bag also easily fits all of my everyday items, including a full size wallet. That said, the Pochette Metis also holds everything I want to carry. However, I think it is heavier than the South Bank.
I definitely plan to try out the South Bank Besace when I get to visit a store. Thank you so much for the info...it is much appreciated! :smile:

You might have already decided but I’m a stay at home mom with the same styling as you. I own a empreinte pochette metis and it’s great. I also love the mini deauville with treated leather. It fits more than it looks but I’m not sure about a long wallet. Attaching photos of both.
These are both gorgeous bags!

I actually was considering the PM in the black empreinte initially, but I decided there's a bag by another designer that I'd rather get in black (eventually...first priority is a brown one). I wish the PM came in a brown empreinte...I know it comes in Turtledove, but that appears online to be more of a taupe color and won't work as well as a brown will with my wardrobe.

Thanks so much for the info and the photos! :smile:

You're allowed to bring your things and see if they fit in the bags. Just be mindful of pens, hand sanitizer, lotion, anything that can damage the exterior and interior while you're trying them out.

If there are days when you need to carry more, bring those extra things. Whenever it's that time of the month, I carry a pouch of feminine products, so any everyday bag for me should be able to carry that additional thing. If your kids are younger, consider if there are any routine days where you might have to carry more.

Neonoe cinches closed pretty well. I don't close mine most of the time, and things don't really fall out from an accidental drop. From my experience, the bag has to actually be upside down when falling for things to spill. My cat has knocked my bag down plenty of times, and only once was he succesful in flipping it and having things fall out. The neonoe bottom is 10" but because of its "A" shape, the top is 7" wide. The crossbody strap length will be too long for you though. I'm 5'4" and I don't use the crossbody setting.

Siena PM shouldn't be too small. From what I've seen, this is LV sizing:
Micro: maybe you can fit a lipstick
Mini: if your phone isn't too big, you might be able to fit it
BB: usually a small crossbody size. You can usually fit most phones.
PM: standard crossbody to standard satchel size, depending on model.
MM: standard satchel size to standard tote size, depending on model.
GM: a BIG tote

Thanks again for all the info. The sizing information is extremely helpful! Looks like I definitely need to stick with PM sized or larger...especially with my inconveniently sized phone. :sad:

That's a huge bummer about the crossbody strap on the Neonoe. I really prefer to be be completely hands-free if possible with my everyday bags...and when they're shoulder bags, I find that 99% of the time I have to keep a hand on the strap to keep them from slipping off.

Reactions: Loriad
I have the NeoNoe, South Bank, Speedy B 25, and the Pochette Métis mono out of the ones you mentioned. My favorite every day bag is the South Bank because it zips closed, sits flat against my body, and I could use it as a shoulder or crossbody bag. My second favorite is the Speedy because it fits so much and it has a zipper. I use an organizer with mine. I can use it three ways. My third favorite is the PM for casual wear during the day to visit with friends, or you can dress it up at night with a twilly. I got the NeoNoe in December and have not used it too much yet because I got the empriente leather and I find it a little too dressy for my mom errands. Canvas options can dress down easily. It fits a lot. I use small leather goods to keep the NeoNoe organized. Using an organizer makes it too boxy and bulky for me. I don’t worry too much about the closure because it cinches very tightly. I can’t use it crossbody because I’m short so I bought a fun strap on Etsy to dress it down. You can find all kinds of aftermarket adjustable straps to suit your tastes. There are flashy ones and there are toned down ones. I definitely use my NeoNoe for outings with friends or a lunch date. My top two are the South Bank and the DE Speedy B 25 because how they fit on my petite 4’11” frame and that they can be used multiple ways easily.

Here’s a picture of my NeoNoe with a fun strap, that is adjustable and I can use it crossbody. The original strap is too long for me. I can only use the original straps as a shoulder or an elbow crook bag. The Empriente leather NeoNoe comes with two straps. The adjustable crossbody and the crook handle.

Here’s a picture of my Speedy with an organizer and some of the things I can fit inside. My phone also fits inside. It’s an iPhone 12, the regular sized one. It’s not pictured because that’s what I took the picture with! LOL. Have fun making a decision!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 2A8C59EA-B6E8-4A2D-B685-D837C6DAC8D1.jpeg
    2A8C59EA-B6E8-4A2D-B685-D837C6DAC8D1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
You have gotten a lot of great advice! I am newish to LV but have gotten quite a few bags over the past year . I also stay at home and dress very casual. My fave bag is a vintage Petite Noe I had the vachetta changed on. I use a crossbody strap and top handle and love it.

i also have and love the Siena PM and the pochette Métis in reverse. I don’t find the reverse hard to style, i Just put it on and go. I get the most compliments on the PM. Both of these I wear crossbody but I like they have top handles for grabbing out of the car, etc. but they might be tight for all of your things. I fit a medium pouch (bigger than the mini pochette), small wallet, cles, tissues, sunglasses, phone, hand sanitizer without any problem in both bags.

My least favorite is the SpeedyB 25. I don’t know why. I don’t find it comfortable, I HATE the strap, the opening is small, but it’s big inside so stuff is sometimes hard to find. I thought I would love it since I liked the Siena so much but it is no comparison.

I think honestly you have to put your stuff in the bags and try them on To see what you prefer. If you can find them online, you could try them at home and returns are pretty easy. Good luck, but be warned. Once you start it’s hard to stop!

I have the NeoNoe, South Bank, Speedy B 25, and the Pochette Métis mono out of the ones you mentioned. My favorite every day bag is the South Bank because it zips closed, sits flat against my body, and I could use it as a shoulder or crossbody bag. My second favorite is the Speedy because it fits so much and it has a zipper. I use an organizer with mine. I can use it three ways. My third favorite is the PM for casual wear during the day to visit with friends, or you can dress it up at night with a twilly. I got the NeoNoe in December and have not used it too much yet because I got the empriente leather and I find it a little too dressy for my mom errands. Canvas options can dress down easily. It fits a lot. I use small leather goods to keep the NeoNoe organized. Using an organizer makes it too boxy and bulky for me. I don’t worry too much about the closure because it cinches very tightly. I can’t use it crossbody because I’m short so I bought a fun strap on Etsy to dress it down. You can find all kinds of aftermarket adjustable straps to suit your tastes. There are flashy ones and there are toned down ones. I definitely use my NeoNoe for outings with friends or a lunch date. My top two are the South Bank and the DE Speedy B 25 because how they fit on my petite 4’11” frame and that they can be used multiple ways easily.

Here’s a picture of my NeoNoe with a fun strap, that is adjustable and I can use it crossbody. The original strap is too long for me. I can only use the original straps as a shoulder or an elbow crook bag. The Empriente leather NeoNoe comes with two straps. The adjustable crossbody and the crook handle.

Here’s a picture of my Speedy with an organizer and some of the things I can fit inside. My phone also fits inside. It’s an iPhone 12, the regular sized one. It’s not pictured because that’s what I took the picture with! LOL. Have fun making a decision!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this! It's particularly helpful coming from someone who is so similar to me in height. I can't wait to be able to try these out for myself! We are scheduled to be going to Hawaii in late April, but I'm not sure with the shifting vaccine timelines whether that trip will have to be pushed out or not. I'm so grateful for all of these posts, because I'm learning more and more about bags I hadn't initially considered, so thank you very much! :smile:

Reactions: Ngrosado
You have gotten a lot of great advice! I am newish to LV but have gotten quite a few bags over the past year . I also stay at home and dress very casual. My fave bag is a vintage Petite Noe I had the vachetta changed on. I use a crossbody strap and top handle and love it.

i also have and love the Siena PM and the pochette Métis in reverse. I don’t find the reverse hard to style, i Just put it on and go. I get the most compliments on the PM. Both of these I wear crossbody but I like they have top handles for grabbing out of the car, etc. but they might be tight for all of your things. I fit a medium pouch (bigger than the mini pochette), small wallet, cles, tissues, sunglasses, phone, hand sanitizer without any problem in both bags.

My least favorite is the SpeedyB 25. I don’t know why. I don’t find it comfortable, I HATE the strap, the opening is small, but it’s big inside so stuff is sometimes hard to find. I thought I would love it since I liked the Siena so much but it is no comparison.

I think honestly you have to put your stuff in the bags and try them on To see what you prefer. If you can find them online, you could try them at home and returns are pretty easy. Good luck, but be warned. Once you start it’s hard to stop!
Thank you so much for this!

I have a feeling I'm either gonna love or hate the Speedy once I try it in person, lol! I keep reading how many people consider it their most useful bag, but I really need to see in person how much it "poufs out" from my hip. I'm not a huge fan of bags that stick out because I just don't find them super practical for me (I end up bumping into things), which is part of why I was initially so attracted to the PM, and why the Siena is growing on me.

Also, the more I look at the mono canvas the more I'm liking it, but dang...I'm so scared of the vachetta!