New ad Campaign not your mother’s Tiffany

Instagram Tiffany account seems committed to the campaign. The company comments are softening the blow for mums amd inject some humour too.
‘tell your mum we said hi’
‘Maybe your mum is cooler than you’ etc
Quite funny.
I don’t mind a bit of urban grit in my fashion.
I like the images.

Interesting how so many of the shots look '90s LOL

So I was looking at some of the other ads- and I have to admit I chuckled a little. The Bone Cuff - which I want and adore (almost 40 btw) was advertised as Not Your Mother’s. Technically mothers (and grandmothers) could have been wearing it since the 1970s. So- the Bone Cuff is “My Mothers, Grandmas and My” jewelry ad :lol:

Lol! They could call it “Twinning with My Mom”. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think they are just trying to jump onto the “hey, boomer” trend right now (how I hate that phrase) and also the whole rejection of legacy owning for things like antiques and tableware that we are really seeing right now in the younger generation. Also, I think they are distancing themselves a bit from how popular certain pieces were in the 90s and early 2000s (which, as someone else pointed out is ironic given how retro their models look). And also capture that dynamic between mothers and daughters of push and pull.

it’s interesting. I didn’t take it as ageist initially. I just took it as a declaration of them moving in another direction with design and focus from where they have been historically. I have to admit, I really like the IG, rethinking of pieces like earrings as pins. That’s smart and creative.

Maybe they are planning a “not your daughter’s Tiffany’s corresponding campaign for the high end stuff, just to upset everyone.:P

I think they are just trying to jump onto the “hey, boomer” trend right now (how I hate that phrase) and also the whole rejection of legacy owning for things like antiques and tableware that we are really seeing right now in the younger generation. Also, I think they are distancing themselves a bit from how popular certain pieces were in the 90s and early 2000s (which, as someone else pointed out is ironic given how retro their models look). And also capture that dynamic between mothers and daughters of push and pull.

it’s interesting. I didn’t take it as ageist initially. I just took it as a declaration of them moving in another direction with design and focus from where they have been historically. I have to admit, I really like the IG, rethinking of pieces like earrings as pins. That’s smart and creative.

Maybe they are planning a “not your daughter’s Tiffany’s corresponding campaign for the high end stuff, just to upset everyone.:P
You know that might be smart- use the same pieces as a “Not Your Daughter’s” Campaign. The 3 campaign ads should be placed next to each other. Show how “older women” style the same pieces. This way it pays homage to current “older” clients and than more could feel represented.

I haven’t seen this posted here but there’s been a A lot of controversy about this on Instagram and other places. People have said it’s ageist, that it’s goes against the whole point of this iconic brand because it is your mothers and grandmothers so it’s timeless. I was Curious to see what others thought.
I don’t like it at all initially. It just sounds a bit generic & low-market
What I immediately think of is high street jeans brands actually- low slung vs skinny jeans vs 501s vibes. Not really making me reach for my credit card.

Isn’t it also the exact opposite of most watch and jewellery branding?
‘you never really own a Patel Philipe’ etc etc

You’ve piqued my interest.
There’s a quick run down of ‘the issue’ here and my favourite quote from this article:
‘…as a LinkedIn commenter said more bluntly, “Giving voice to your primary anxiety via advertising doesn’t strike me as a winning strategy.”’ :lol:

this image from Tiffany Twitter looks good.

#bringbackthebrooch lol.
Overall I agree that hating on mums isn’t new and fresh, and in fact younger people ‘these days’ seem to have closer, healthier and more loving relationships with their mums than in generations past.
Perhaps we are entering an age where women retain more of their social value as they age. Which would make this campaign clumsy.
But how else to provoke interest if the tried and true method of dissing the older generation is now out of date?

View attachment 5150200
I find this post really confusing. I’m not trying to be rude to the model but she doesn’t look like a teen/20something to me…. She looks more like a fellow 30something and I mean, a lot of 30 somethings are primarily the MUMS not the daughters now.
Also put an earring post through stiff denim and then maybe put it back in your ear? Sure Jan. I will look forward to the pain of a snapped earring or a skin infection.
I saw those ads, and I understand the demographic they're going for and their marketing strategy.

NOT something I would prefer, tbh, especially for fine jewelry, because I like to believe that well-crafted fine jewelry is timeless~

And culturally in many Asian dramas back in the late 90s and 2000s, it was a huge deal for the man to get a woman something from Tiffany. I remember my mother watching Korean and Chinese dramas and seeing the main male character bring out the blue box was definitely an iconic moment. (And later down the line, I would receive it from my wonderful husband :heart: )

So anyway, yes, I saw, and I was like...meh. :P Not a fan but I don't own Tiffany :lol: nor am I head of their marketing department.

On another note: South Coast Plaza's Tiffany store, has moved and completely remodeled their store design. It definitely look more high-end and more opened-up than the old store. They are also pushing their fine jewelry lines more than the silver. The fine jewelry is displayed in the front, for all to see!To be honest, I don't really know where the silver jewelry is because my SA always brings me to the back for more fine jewelry lol.

(Previously, the store was divided into 3 sections, 1) engagement and exquisite fine jewelry with various gemstones 2) silver jewelry with their fine jewelry collections 3) men's section)
I love this insight into all this marketing in Chinese/Korean dramas. It is true those turquoise boxes used to be so beloved!
I rather see an ad on how Tiffany could be incorporated throughout your life.

-Start off graduating high school and getting RTT necklace and bracelet
-After college ends move onto DBTY necklace
-Getting ready for an interview with your Tiffany pen on hand
-Looking to celebrate a new job with Pearl studs
- Creating dinner with a date using Tiffany stemware
- Date becomes engagement with Tiffany setting
- Marriage includes wedding band and cake knife
- Celebrate first born with diamond studs
- Job promotion with Victoria bracelet
- 40th birthday with diamond key
- Etc
With this & your following comments you are definitely doing a better job at thinking out these marketing campaigns than the big wheels at Tiffany are :lol:
In Victorian times before white gold and platinum, diamonds were commonly set in silver. And jewellery was often mixed with silver around the stones and gold elsewhere in the piece.
Perhaps it would be interesting to consider diamonds in silver once again.
Tiffany has attempted to meet the market (and keep their margin) with their rubedo alloy as well. Was an interesting experiment. Also those coated pieces, in the bone cuffs, which were a mixed response for me.
I personally think silver is going through a popularity dip at the moment - but that might be just me.

I don’t know if this was just in UK but there was a big trend for affordable jewellery labels that made diamond and silver pieces in the 90s usually in that whole minimalist geometric brushed silver look- maybe that could come back ?

I never got rubedo either - I felt it looked like you were making jewellery from plumber’s bolts.

I don’t like it at all initially. It just sounds a bit generic & low-market
What I immediately think of is high street jeans brands actually- low slung vs skinny jeans vs 501s vibes. Not really making me reach for my credit card.

Isn’t it also the exact opposite of most watch and jewellery branding?
‘you never really own a Patel Philipe’ etc etc

I find this post really confusing. I’m not trying to be rude to the model but she doesn’t look like a teen/20something to me…. She looks more like a fellow 30something and I mean, a lot of 30 somethings are primarily the MUMS not the daughters now.
Also put an earring post through stiff denim and then maybe put it back in your ear? Sure Jan. I will look forward to the pain of a snapped earring or a skin infection.

I love this insight into all this marketing in Chinese/Korean dramas. It is true those turquoise boxes used to be so beloved!

With this & your following comments you are definitely doing a better job at thinking out these marketing campaigns than the big wheels at Tiffany are :lol:

I personally think silver is going through a popularity dip at the moment - but that might be just me.

I don’t know if this was just in UK but there was a big trend for affordable jewellery labels that made diamond and silver pieces in the 90s usually in that whole minimalist geometric brushed silver look- maybe that could come back ?

I never got rubedo either - I felt it looked like you were making jewellery from plumber’s bolts.
I agree about the model! She looks to be at least late 20s.

I agree about the model! She looks to be at least late 20s.
Yes! And I’m not trying to say she’s old or ugly or anything. I just think it’s weird choice to not go super youthful if you are going for the youth/teen rebellion angle.
I don’t think a woman who looks like she has got a job and life and is a possible mum herself would empathise with wanting to rebel against her parents.

TBH I think even the average teen would think it’s kind of patronising - ‘I’ve got an identity outside of my parents, thanks’ type of thing.

Yes! And I’m not trying to say she’s old or ugly or anything. I just think it’s weird choice to not go super youthful if you are going for the youth/teen rebellion angle.
I don’t think a woman who looks like she has got a job and life and is a possible mum herself would empathise with wanting to rebel against her parents.

TBH I think even the average teen would think it’s kind of patronising - ‘I’ve got an identity outside of my parents, thanks’ type of thing.
Tbh I don’t understand the ad at all! In my area many teens/20 somethings wear Tiffany. Of course it is mostly silver but that is expected at the price point. Are they marketing to late 20s/30s who wear Cartier Love instead? If that is the case then stating “not your mom’s jewelry” means what if you are a mom or in an age group you may want a family. Also, if they are going for the Cartier Love purchaser than they need to really focus on the more modern design pieces. Victoria and Bone Cuff (though I love both) may not be doing the trick. Plus wearing basic white button downs and jeans does not feel modern or “youthful” at all.