New ad Campaign not your mother’s Tiffany

bergafer3

O.G.
Oct 16, 2008
I haven’t seen this posted here but there’s been a A lot of controversy about this on Instagram and other places. People have said it’s ageist, that it’s goes against the whole point of this iconic brand because it is your mothers and grandmothers so it’s timeless. I was Curious to see what others thought.

I have not seen the campaign and will look forward to seeing it.
I have long suspected that a great driver of fashion is simply young people’s wish to reject the aesthetic of older people. Perhaps hatred of older women - or of ageing in general - is what keeps fashion churning!
However styles of each era do keep returning as inspiration after decent intervals.
it is interesting to see fashions which you know are really targeted at older women being modelled by very young women.

You’ve piqued my interest.
There’s a quick run down of ‘the issue’ here and my favourite quote from this article:
‘…as a LinkedIn commenter said more bluntly, “Giving voice to your primary anxiety via advertising doesn’t strike me as a winning strategy.”’ :lol:

this image from Tiffany Twitter looks good.

#bringbackthebrooch lol.
Overall I agree that hating on mums isn’t new and fresh, and in fact younger people ‘these days’ seem to have closer, healthier and more loving relationships with their mums than in generations past.
Perhaps we are entering an age where women retain more of their social value as they age. Which would make this campaign clumsy.
But how else to provoke interest if the tried and true method of dissing the older generation is now out of date?

CF0C6600-5BAF-458F-B157-648C66986C61.jpeg

Fashion moves with all ages at once, Very few omen want to look old fashioned, and it's really a divisive marketing strategy to graft agism onto fashion that's not there - until it is.

At what age/gen do we see ladies wearing twinset and pearls, or helmet hair and matching/symmetrical sets of jewellery?

Youth subcultures that have a kind of organic start culture style of their own often start with what's considered the most 'ugly' and 'old fashioned' from past refs and make it their own.

If you ask young women and girls, who they think is the most beautiful woman they know/wish to emulate they will often state that their mothers are. Fashion designers often designate their mothers as the fundamental inspiration (Tom Ford Stella McCartney et al)

Tif (LVMH) is using hate to market itself and that should never be applauded. It's also unspeakably old fashioned to re-hash the gem gap when it hardly exists anymore.

I would love to wear my mother’s Tiffany. And as a mother who has given Tiffany to my children, I hope they would reject this type of advertising.

In a time where people are valuing family more then ever I feel this type of advertising is poorly timed. Maybe back in the angst filled 90s… I dunno, leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be honest.

But I am not the demographic Tiffany is targeting so I guess my opinion doesn’t matter anyway :lol:

I think the Tiffany brand has already been cheapened and commercialized by being in malls. No offense to people here but the idea of paying more for a diamond from them isn't smart IMO. You can get a GIA certified diamond from many other sources for less. I'd be willing to bet most Tiffany customers aren't particularly wealthy. I'm probably going OT here but I guess what I want to say is this campaign is cheapening the brand even more. Catering the the buyers of the lower end silver jewelry, etc.

I saw those ads, and I understand the demographic they're going for and their marketing strategy.

NOT something I would prefer, tbh, especially for fine jewelry, because I like to believe that well-crafted fine jewelry is timeless~

And culturally in many Asian dramas back in the late 90s and 2000s, it was a huge deal for the man to get a woman something from Tiffany. I remember my mother watching Korean and Chinese dramas and seeing the main male character bring out the blue box was definitely an iconic moment. (And later down the line, I would receive it from my wonderful husband :heart: )

So anyway, yes, I saw, and I was like...meh. :P Not a fan but I don't own Tiffany :lol: nor am I head of their marketing department.

On another note: South Coast Plaza's Tiffany store, has moved and completely remodeled their store design. It definitely look more high-end and more opened-up than the old store. They are also pushing their fine jewelry lines more than the silver. The fine jewelry is displayed in the front, for all to see!To be honest, I don't really know where the silver jewelry is because my SA always brings me to the back for more fine jewelry lol.

(Previously, the store was divided into 3 sections, 1) engagement and exquisite fine jewelry with various gemstones 2) silver jewelry with their fine jewelry collections 3) men's section)

I think the Tiffany brand has already been cheapened and commercialized by being in malls. No offense to people here but the idea of paying more for a diamond from them isn't smart IMO. You can get a GIA certified diamond from many other sources for less. I'd be willing to bet most Tiffany customers aren't particularly wealthy. I'm probably going OT here but I guess what I want to say is this campaign is cheapening the brand even more. Catering the the buyers of the lower end silver jewelry, etc.

Nothing's cheap about their silver except some of the quality of some of their pieces. I bought (recycled) silver rings from Cos that were better than their HardWear line.

However, when we're talking about statement silver like Peretti Bone cuffs or Scorpion necklace, it's not the material that really matters (to me) it's about the craftsmanship, casting, weight (feel) and above all design (statement).

I rather see an ad on how Tiffany could be incorporated throughout your life.

-Start off graduating high school and getting RTT necklace and bracelet
-After college ends move onto DBTY necklace
-Getting ready for an interview with your Tiffany pen on hand
-Looking to celebrate a new job with Pearl studs
- Creating dinner with a date using Tiffany stemware
- Date becomes engagement with Tiffany setting
- Marriage includes wedding band and cake knife
- Celebrate first born with diamond studs
- Job promotion with Victoria bracelet
- 40th birthday with diamond key
- Etc

Nothing's cheap about their silver except some of the quality of some of their pieces. I bought (recycled) silver rings from Cos that were better than their HardWear line.

However, when we're talking about statement silver like Peretti Bone cuffs or Scorpion necklace, it's not the material that really matters (to me) it's about the craftsmanship, casting, weight (feel) and above all design (statement).
I was just thinking the silver is more affordable than gold or diamonds, so younger people could afford it more easily - and might prefer it

I would love to wear my mother’s Tiffany. And as a mother who has given Tiffany to my children, I hope they would reject this type of advertising.

In a time where people are valuing family more then ever I feel this type of advertising is poorly timed. Maybe back in the angst filled 90s… I dunno, leaves a bad taste in my mouth to be honest.

But I am not the demographic Tiffany is targeting so I guess my opinion doesn’t matter anyway :lol:
If you are a woman who bought their engagement ring from Tiffany, perhaps had family buy significant gifts - perhaps even that celebrating your birth of children - you would have a reason to be annoyed at Tiffany. You are exactly the demographic Tiffany is risking - the woman who has lovingly introduced Tiffany to their own children. These women are powerful allies for Tiffany and speak to heritage of the brand as a ‘family tradition’.

I was just thinking the silver is more affordable than gold or diamonds, so younger people could afford it more easily - and might prefer it
In Victorian times before white gold and platinum, diamonds were commonly set in silver. And jewellery was often mixed with silver around the stones and gold elsewhere in the piece.
Perhaps it would be interesting to consider diamonds in silver once again.
Tiffany has attempted to meet the market (and keep their margin) with their rubedo alloy as well. Was an interesting experiment. Also those coated pieces, in the bone cuffs, which were a mixed response for me.

You’ve piqued my interest.
There’s a quick run down of ‘the issue’ here and my favourite quote from this article:
‘…as a LinkedIn commenter said more bluntly, “Giving voice to your primary anxiety via advertising doesn’t strike me as a winning strategy.”’ :lol:

this image from Tiffany Twitter looks good.

#bringbackthebrooch lol.
Overall I agree that hating on mums isn’t new and fresh, and in fact younger people ‘these days’ seem to have closer, healthier and more loving relationships with their mums than in generations past.
Perhaps we are entering an age where women retain more of their social value as they age. Which would make this campaign clumsy.
But how else to provoke interest if the tried and true method of dissing the older generation is now out of date?

View attachment 5150200
Thank you for linking this info!

Reactions: floatinglili
Instagram Tiffany account seems committed to the campaign. The company comments are softening the blow for mums amd inject some humour too.
‘tell your mum we said hi’
‘Maybe your mum is cooler than you’ etc
Quite funny.
I don’t mind a bit of urban grit in my fashion.
I like the images.