Need help deciding between LV Capucines or Moynat Gabrielle

LV Capucines or Moynat Gabrielle

• Total voters

Sunnyday11

Mar 4, 2020
Hello everyone,
I am long time lurker, first time poster. Please help me to decide which black bag to buy this year.
Calling everyone, especially LV Capucines BB owners and/or Moynat Gabrielle owners to give me some Pros and Cons on each bag in terms of price vs quality, customer service. In long terms, I feel like the Capucines would sag ( I've seen a few pics on used bag from Fashionphile and those bags sagged pretty bad even for BB size). Gabrielle is very structure so it won't have this problem.
I know about both bags about the same time last year when I started looking for a black bag. Ever since, I still couldn't make up my mind of which bag to buy.
The LV Capucines BB after tax is $5,300
The Moynat Gabrielle PM is $4,500.
I love both equally but can only get one because they are very expensive to me. I don't have too much money but I buy to love and will not sell it. Also, I dress up more often than casual, even outside of work.
If you can only choose one, which one would you pick?

Thank you all in advance!
LV Capucines
upload_2020-3-4_22-43-6.png
Moynat Gabrielle
upload_2020-3-4_22-43-47.png

I don't own either of these bags so I'm not able to offer pros and cons, but I voted for the Moynat Gabrielle because I also have it high on my wishlist. I love how structured it is, it reminds me of the Hermes Kelly. The design is very elegant and the bag is not as common as the LV. Moynat has excellent craftsmanship! The bags are very well made. I too dislike when bags lose their shape or "sag", and I think out of the two, Gabrielle will hold its shape better over time.

Thank you. I want a bag that will last years to come without loosing it structure cause I dont think that is something they can "repair". I have never own anything from LV or Moynat so this will be my first time experience with whatever I'll pick.

Reactions: lucydee
Hello everyone,
I am long time lurker, first time poster. Please help me to decide which black bag to buy this year.
Calling everyone, especially LV Capucines BB owners and/or Moynat Gabrielle owners to give me some Pros and Cons on each bag in terms of price vs quality, customer service. In long terms, I feel like the Capucines would sag ( I've seen a few pics on used bag from Fashionphile and those bags sagged pretty bad even for BB size). Gabrielle is very structure so it won't have this problem.
I know about both bags about the same time last year when I started looking for a black bag. Ever since, I still couldn't make up my mind of which bag to buy.
I love both equally but can only get one because they are very expensive to me. I don't have too much money but I buy to love and will not sell it. Also, I dress up more often than casual, even outside of work.

LV Capucines
View attachment 4682019
Moynat Gabrielle
View attachment 4682020
The Ca
Hello everyone,

LV Capucines
View attachment 4682019
Moynat Gabrielle
View attachment 4682020
I love the LV Capucines but it seems very heavy to me. I bought a Moynat Gabrielle in the PM size and it is so lightweight. I adore it!! I don’t think it holds as much as the Capucines but It meets my needs. Good luck with your decision!!

Thank you! I am glad you mentioned the weights. I wouldn't want to carry a heavy bag so it might be a huge cons for Capucines for me. I am happy to hear you are enjoying your Gabrielle. :smile:

I don’t have either, but the Moynat is better looking and more unique in my opinion. The silver hardware also makes it more modern, which I like. Do you have a preference on hardware color?

I have the Gabrielle and really like it. Lightweight and easy to get in and out of. I looked at the capucines but did not like it as much. I thought the leather used for the flap was too stiff and pushed the opening of the bag out wider than it’s natural width if there had been no flap. So the bag always looked like I had overstuffed it. If you are planning on holding whichever of the 2 you buy for a long time, moynat will service your bag even years later. I haven’t bought an LV bag in a long time so no idea what their after purchase service is like but I’m sure you can ask on the LV forum. Good luck with your purchase.

I really like capucines and have tried it on multiple times to come to the conclusion that bb size works for me, but for some reason I have held off buying it. When Moynat opened a boutique here, I had to check them out based on what I read from the thread here on tpf. After seeing Gabrielle and trying it on, I haven’t looked back at capucines. Gabrielle is beautiful and impeccably made. I bought mm size because the color I wanted came in that size but I’m sure I’ll eventually buy pm in a fun color. My next purchase though is Gaby pm. I voted for Gabrielle and I really think you will love it too :smile:

I have a Capucines bb for a couple of years now and I love how it looks handheld. The strap is a little long for me to wear cross body (I am 5'3"), but I would do so if I have to. It is a beautiful bag and fits more than enough. Although I do find it a little heavy at times.
I don't have a Gabrielle pm, but I have just became the first time owner of a Moynat Gaby pm. Gaby pm is about the same size of the Capucines bb, but at a much lighter weight. The adjustable strap for the Gaby also fits me better. I know Gaby is probably not the style you are looking for since it's less structured than Gabrielle, but I thought the size, strap length, and weight may be major factors while you are considering which one to purchase.

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_131326.jpg
    IMG_20200611_131326.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20200611_131307.jpg
    IMG_20200611_131307.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20200611_131300.jpg
    IMG_20200611_131300.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 88
Capucines, it's more well known, will shown less wear on the flap if you reach your phone frequently since you can leave your phone at the first section newer BB model strap is adjustable

Last edited:
I have a Gabby (I know it's not the Gabrielle you posted about) and love it. It's so much more subtle than the Capucines. And the quality is through the roof. I always love the Moynat brand and am planning on my next bag being from them.
Hello ~ Im planning on purchasing my first Moynat because i love the craftmanship and the service is amazing in store. I have been multiple times to try on bags and they are always super supportive, not pushy a lot (I live in Shanghai and service here is pretty bad).
However, I cannot make up my mind between a gabrielle pm or a gaby pm. How do you find closing and opening the clasp when the bag is not full in the gaby? im afraid it might take me long to close it without two hands. The gabrielle is more structured and i love it, but im a jeans and sneakers kind of gal and im afraid of it being too elegant for my lifestyle. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hello ~ Im planning on purchasing my first Moynat because i love the craftmanship and the service is amazing in store. I have been multiple times to try on bags and they are always super supportive, not pushy a lot (I live in Shanghai and service here is pretty bad).
However, I cannot make up my mind between a gabrielle pm or a gaby pm. How do you find closing and opening the clasp when the bag is not full in the gaby? im afraid it might take me long to close it without two hands. The gabrielle is more structured and i love it, but im a jeans and sneakers kind of gal and im afraid of it being too elegant for my lifestyle. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hi. I find the clasp tricky to be honest. It's the only thing about the bag I don't like. It takes a second to make sure it's in place. Funny to see your post here as I was at the Moynat store in South Coast Plaza on Sunday. I had only been to Moynat in Paris previously. I now have a very sweet SA there who is going to keep me posted on new bags as they come in. I agree with you, they are really friendly!