Need Advice From fellow Ebay Sellers!

Hey guys,

I'm not worried about her scamming me. She's just dissapointed as the bag is not in the condition she excpected. She knew it was used, she knew I was not the first owner, she saw auction pics plus the extra pics I sent her but the bag was not as she expected when she got it.

I just dont like having dissapointed buyers, its never happned to me before so wasnt sure what to do. I only have feedack of 15 on ebay so even one negative would drop it considerably.

It's good that she decided to relist it. When she first got it & emailed you, she was probably a bit huffy. I'm sure after thinking about it though, she realized it wasn't YOUR fault she was disappointed. Hopefully she sells it & everyone is happy!:P

Hi Everyone,

Alls well that ends well. I dont like having unhappy customers so I told her I will be watching her auction and if it iether does not sell, or she does not get what she paid for it, I will refund her $100 for a professional cleaning or cleaning products.

She is very happy now and we have left each other positive feedback.

Acegirl - I think you are right, she probably just overreacted when she first got it and sent me a huffy email, she seems to be fine now.

Well this was a learning experience, I've delt with non-paying bidders before but never unhappy customers. I'm glad it ended well :smile:

sweetsparkle said:
Anyway long story short, paypal (again!) got involved and they ruled in favor of her. But right now she has both the coat and my money so I don't know what to do other than to constantly harrass paypal until they get my coat back to me.

I'm sorry to hear that, I think you should consider calling her local police department and file a report for theft because she cannot have the money and your coat.

SpecialK said:
Hi Everyone,

Alls well that ends well. I dont like having unhappy customers so I told her I will be watching her auction and if it iether does not sell, or she does not get what she paid for it, I will refund her $100 for a professional cleaning or cleaning products.

Acegirl - I think you are right, she probably just overreacted when she first got it and sent me a huffy email, she seems to be fine now.

Well this was a learning experience, I've delt with non-paying bidders before but never unhappy customers. I'm glad it ended well :smile:

Just a side note...she won't accept a return on the bag in her auction either. :P

sweetsparkle said:
Hi SpecialK ~ sorry you have to go through this. I had the same situation a month ago regarding a Dennis Basso coat I sold on ebay. I purchased the coat last October 2005 for $7200. The coat is absolutely stunning but I decided that I do not want to wear any kind of fur anymore so I decided to sell it. I listed it for $899 for BIN. This woman on ebay keeps emailing me, almost begging me to lower the BIN price to $700 so she could purchase it for her daughter's bday. I was hesitant at first but after receiving her 5th email, I agreed to it, thinking I was being nice.

WELL, she had a case of buyer's remorse and wanted to return the coat under the claim that it was not as described. In my auction, I described it as being used but in good condition, which it was.

Anyway long story short, paypal (again!) got involved and they ruled in favor of her. But right now she has both the coat and my money so I don't know what to do other than to constantly harrass paypal until they get my coat back to me.

So just be careful because I stated I do not accept returns BUT paypal completely ignored it. Seller's really lose out in the end. :sad2:

Firstly, I just want to say good for you for giving up fur; you're obviously a kind, caring person. :biggrin:

Secondly, I must just point out, that the reason Paypal went against you, even though you stated 'no returns', is probably that US law states that you must provide the buyer with a venue to inspect the goods in person; before they purchase and/or accept the goods.

In the case of distance selling (including auctions), this venue is deemed to be the buyer's home (or wherever else they ask for the item to be sent).

You can find the relevant section of this law in Seller Watch, in the 'The Logic of eBay' thread.

I don't understand why you were forced to refund her money, before she had successfully returned the coat to you, though; very strange! :huh:

Technically, I was under the impression that if you don't click the "Returns accepted" box, thent here IS NO RETURNS ACCEPTED. Returns are a kind courtesy that sellers who are very frequent auction listers use.

Personally... i've bought things that I've gotten and have been misrepresented. i bought a bag taht was horribly dirty and smelled of smoke... relisted it and actually made money on top of what i paid.

I'd tell her that the item was described perfectly and that you're not going to accept a return. I hope you didn't leave positive feedback for her already. I always wait for the person to leave positive feedback for me before I leave it for them.

Luna said:
Technically, I was under the impression that if you don't click the "Returns accepted" box, thent here IS NO RETURNS ACCEPTED. Returns are a kind courtesy that sellers who are very frequent auction listers use.

Personally... i've bought things that I've gotten and have been misrepresented. i bought a bag taht was horribly dirty and smelled of smoke... relisted it and actually made money on top of what i paid.

I'd tell her that the item was described perfectly and that you're not going to accept a return. I hope you didn't leave positive feedback for her already. I always wait for the person to leave positive feedback for me before I leave it for them.

Ah, you see, that's where the controversy lies. According to the law, unless the buyer has inspected the item in person, before buying, they have the legal right to reject the item.

Therefore, returns aren't technically a courtesy on eBay, but a legal necessity; whether or not you tick eBay's box! :smile:

Edit: By the way, I am a very infrequent seller on eBay and I always offer returns.

SpecialK said:
Hi Everyone,

ahhh SpecialK, there should be more decent sellers like you around :smile:, even though she was selling it on, you still went well beyond what you had to do and offered her money to make the bag good if it did not sell.

You should hold your head high, you are a fab seller, it was her issue that the bag was not as she expected. I am glad it worked out for you in the end :idea:

I sold 2 bags on e-bay stating no returns, listed them as used and id'd the bag as having staining on the bottom - the buyer moaned and groaned and said it was in terrible shape, etc. - I took and bag anyway and decided there are advantages to selling through a consignment shop! Not dealing with the public! I'm happy to say I sold several things through this forum and they all went well...some people are just looking for something to moan about, or wanting perfect condition at a 'used' price...I'm glad it worked out..

chloehandbags said:
Ah, you see, that's where the controversy lies. According to the law, unless the buyer has inspected the item in person, before buying, they have the legal right to reject the item.

Therefore, returns aren't technically a courtesy on eBay, but a legal necessity; whether or not you tick eBay's box! :smile:

Edit: By the way, I am a very infrequent seller on eBay and I always offer returns.

... odd. I guess that's ebay's fault then... if it's a legal necessity... then there shouldn't even be an option for returns.

chloehandbags said:

I would imagine laws about this vary from state to state, and country to country.