My jewelry journey

Well I'm in my 20s and I make a point of getting both - I think both can be stunning. I started with pieces in WG and am now introducing pieces in YG and RG. Ideally this year I'd like to be looking at a chunky YG or RG ring from Cartier, possibly a lovely YG bracelet or bangle (Hermes Clic H in taupe enamel looks nice!) and maybe a pair of YG earrings and a pendant. Not all to be acquired this year of course! But just to be tried on and planned for.

Personally, I went the opposite way! I used to buy a lot more white metals, since they are more popular (plus I had my Tiffany's sterling silver phase), but I've since realized that YG is much more flattering to my skin tone, so a lot of my recent jewelry purchases have been YG, except my good watch which is stainless, and my ering which is platinum.

My stepmom is more like you- she used to have a lot of YG and then decided she prefers WG. She got rid of some pieces and purchased new WG instead. She also had some of her more sentimental pieces dipped in WG to cover up the YG. She's been very happy with the result for those- it might be an option if you don't want to replace everything.

^^Rhodium plating is absolutely an option but it truly depends on the piece....if it's basically a simple design then the plating usually takes everywhere but if it has a lot of prong work, scrolling, intricate style of jewelry, it can be iffy. But I know a lot of people that have it done to their wedding rings if they're considering crossing over.

I changed from all my jewelry being yellow metals to now being white metals. Last year, I took all of my yellow gold and sold them to a jeweler since I wasn't wearing them anymore.

Oh the whims of fashion, loving this thread!

Rockerchic I am the same age as you and celebrating a 20 this year too LOL. Started out all YG, did not think that WG/PT suited my skintone. Then slowly moved into the white metals for "fancy" evening pieces, then gravitated from all YG for day to white/YG mixed metal pieces. Now want all white metal for day too. E-ring is PT, but wedding-anniversary bands are Schlumberger mixed metal styles. Maybe I should ask for PT replacements for my anniversary :graucho:..

The desire to change over started for me last Spring with a pair of VCA MOP/WG alhambra studs, then came a SS Hermes CdC cuff. Now I really need your new Rolex (have the same one in mixed metals) and as long as I'm asking a magic Alhambra 20 motif in onyx and MOP would't be half bad either.

I need to be a very, very good girl from now until August :P!!

Growing up, all my friends had all sorts of SS jewlery, and I just knew it didn't suit me. Finally, just a few years ago, I was at a jewelry store with DH, the woman was trying something on me, and said "oh, you cannot wear silver or white gold! EVER!" and I actually felt better, like my instinct had been justified!

My wedding set is gold, and I got it when NOBODY was getting YG. I got what I liked on me though, so I've never regretted it.

I have to admit though, it makes me happy to see YG make something of a reemergence, like all the YG that Rachel Zoe wears.

Interesting thread!

Well...I am quite a bit older than you, Rockerchic, and when I first got married 36 years ago (well, it was 36 years ago, but it lasted 28 :biggrin:), I got yellow gold, and for the next 25 years or so, I wore ALL YG. After that marriage ended, all new pieces I acquired were white gold...and for my second marriage, I went with white gold. I'm now 5 years into #2, and DH knows I go white gold all the way.

I sold a lot of the old yellow gold jewelry that I would no longer wear...kept a few sentimental pieces and antiques...but I probably will stay with white gold for the forseeable future!

I'm the opposite. I used to wear only white metal, but in the last year or so, I've really grown to like yellow gold. I loved the mixed metal look, so I wear YG with sterling, WG, and platinum all the time.

But for engagement rings and wedding bands, my preference is platinum, nothing else.

Funny story, I work in Germany, where I have noticed people rarely wear platinum diamond engagement rings and wedding bands. We had a holiday dinner at work, where everyone brought their SO. And one of my co-workers asked why my DH was wearing his wedding ring (plain yellow gold band), but I never wear mine. That's when I realized people didn't know my platinum diamond eternity band was a wedding band, LOL.

Yeah, I know DH and I have mismatched wedding bands. But I would never consider a plain yellow gold wedding band, and he would never consider anything but plain yellow gold. So in the end, we just decided to each get what we liked.

Last edited:
i did for sure. when we got engaged, the ring that i picked out was yellow gold and the center diamond was a trillion with a matching band. i loved that ring, but ended up losing it a year and a half after we were married. since we have been married for a little over 15 years, white gold/plat just wasn't the big style then like YG was.

but the new ring i bought with the insurance $$$ was completely different. i figured since it wasn't the original ring that my husband put on my finger on our wedding day (and when he proposed), i didn't want to recreate the same thing. i went completely opposite and got a white gold band with an emerald cut diamond center stone with two emerald cut sapphires—and then later on, i added my grandmother's round brilliant stone with it.

now i wear my mother's platinum pear e-ring with two baguettes on the sides.

so to answer your original question—yes, my taste has changed signficantly. i primarily wear white gold/platinum except for my cartier LOVE bracelet which is rose gold. i wanted that to stand out from the rest.

ha. to think when i was in my early twenties, all i wore was sterling silver. boy has my taste changed. lol

I actually have a name necklace ala Carrie Bradshaw that was in style before SATC brought it back...I have to keep that for the laughs.

omg, i have the same necklace in yellow gold as well. it was given to me for my 18th birthday (1983) from my parents and i still have it. they had it custom made and i love it! the cool thing is, i used to have a necklace that my boyfriend (at the time) had custom made for me as well with my hebrew name—shoshanna. but unfortunately, it was so thin, it broke in half years later. :sad: otherwise, i would totally wear that, even today.

i would wear it but it says "suzy" and now i go by suzanne. i really don't want to be referred to as "suzy" anymore (that stopped when i was 19). :weird:

Oh the whims of fashion, loving this thread!

Rockerchic I am the same age as you and celebrating a 20 this year too LOL. Started out all YG, did not think that WG/PT suited my skintone. Then slowly moved into the white metals for "fancy" evening pieces, then gravitated from all YG for day to white/YG mixed metal pieces. Now want all white metal for day too. E-ring is PT, but wedding-anniversary bands are Schlumberger mixed metal styles. Maybe I should ask for PT replacements for my anniversary :graucho:..

The desire to change over started for me last Spring with a pair of VCA MOP/WG alhambra studs, then came a SS Hermes CdC cuff. Now I really need your new Rolex (have the same one in mixed metals) and as long as I'm asking a magic Alhambra 20 motif in onyx and MOP would't be half bad either.

I need to be a very, very good girl from now until August :P!!

LOL!!! Loved this post! You sound like your exactly where I am. Parlay that 20th into new jewelry for sure!;)

omg, i have the same necklace in yellow gold as well. it was given to me for my 18th birthday (1983) from my parents and i still have it. they had it custom made and i love it! the cool thing is, i used to have a necklace that my boyfriend (at the time) had custom made for me as well with my hebrew name—shoshanna. but unfortunately, it was so thin, it broke in half years later. :sad: otherwise, i would totally wear that, even today.

i would wear it but it says "suzy" and now i go by suzanne. i really don't want to be referred to as "suzy" anymore (that stopped when i was 19). :weird:

I have LOVED reading everyone's stories!

Onecreativegirl, I got my name necklace in 1982 for my 18th birthday from my parents!!! LOL!! That must have been the big item for 18th birthdays in the 80s. I was amazed when they made a comeback a bit later with SATC. I think I'll wear mine tomorrow for old times sake!