My Care and Maintenance Experience

Jan 19, 2012
After getting my two bal bags, I started to read the threads extensively and I wanted to share what products I used and how I feel about them for reference purposes

To start, when I first got my 2013 bleu mineral Mini City, the leather was pretty dry, but I had not actually noticed it until I was on the forum and then seeing pictures of non-dry leather, and then comparing it to my 2013 Black mGSH City, whose leather is much much nicer.

A couple of days after getting the Mini City, I went back to the Bal boutique to see if they had anything to help moisturising the leather, and I got the Balenciaga Cream. I was told to use it once a month to protect the leather.

Balenciaga Cream
After applying it the first time, using a makeup sponge, the sponge had some colour transfer and turned blue. It didn't concern me too much because the bag colour did not fade (although who knows what would happen in the long run). The cream came in a tin container and a cotton cloth, but the cotton cloth fiber would transfer to the bag because the cream is sticky after the first application and stick into the veins. I had a hard time getting the fibre out even after the bag dried and the bag was no longer sticky. After the first application, i didn't find the leather to look or feel any less papery so i tried it again the week after. I did this for a couple of weeks (maybe 5 times in total) and although the leather was slightly less papery, i didn't feel like there was any significant changes.

Leather Honey
After two months of using the Mini City five days a week for a month, I started to notice that there are some scuffing around the edges and white wrinkles after the break in, and that really concerned me. The next thing I did was purchase Leather Honey from Amazon and applied it to my the mini City using my fingers. Like almost what everyone says, you don't need to use a lot of it. I just used my fingers to rub the Leather Honey in in a circular motion and let it dry. I did 2-3 coats over the course of 3 days and I did notice that the bag is much softer and significantly less papery. There was no real colour change besides me feeling the colour became richer WIN! Love this product. More info can be found in this thread.

Zelikovitz Leather Top Coat
As for the scuffing along the edges and piping, I took the advice of this thread and used the Zelikovitz Acrylic Leather Sheen Top Coat in SATIN. The item shipped from Ottawa. When I received it, I had no make-up sponges with me, so I used cotton pads instead. I think this is perfectly fine for the top coat because it's not something you need to rub into the bag and the fibers from the pads won't get into the bag. After using it on all the edges, you don't even notice the scuffing anymore and it has not scuffed at all since. I reapplied it after 3 weeks just because I felt like babying my bag, but it wasn't necessary at all. Keep in mind the stuff can be a bit sticky as you apply but it dries without stickiness. ANOTHER WIN! PERFECT PRODUCT!!

Collonil Waterstop+ UV Protection Spray
The next thing that I wanted to do was to protect my bag from fading and spills. Both the Leather Honey and the Top Coat have water repellent properties, but I wasn't sure how extensive the protection is and I wanted it to be on the safer side. After some research, I decided on the Collonil. People ask which one from Collonil and this was the link from which I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008WBSGE6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. When it came, it said Nude on the bottle, which concerned me a little so I sprayed it on a white piece of paper first, and it had no colour, so it was okay. However, what did concern me was that I have a friend who sprayed her Chloe Paraty with the Michael Kors water protection spray as her only care for her bag and when she sold me the bag, the leather started to peel like crazy!!!!!!!!. Now I wasn't sure whether or not it was her spray that made the leather this way (no one from the chloe forum could attest to theirs peeling) or the way she stored it (in canada, and the weather is super dry) but I was worried. I gave this a shot anyway because i didn't read any bad complaints about it and sprayed it on the bag a couple of times to get an even coverage and immediately, I felt like the leather wasn't as soft as it was before, which is understandable since it essentially placed a coat of plasticky film over the bag. Even after it dried, I find that the bag feels a bit papery and crackles a little when you smoosh it. I don't think it will actually dry out the leather since i had it moisturised before (altho some ppl claims it makes your leather a bit drier) but I won't find out in the short term. Most ppl with Mulberrys are using it without a problem too. I am keeping my fingers crossed. So far, I would recommend against it unless you have a bag that's really really prone to fading and you know it would be much worse off. I haven't heard of any Bals peeling anyway, so there's hope to that.

Pictures?
I didn't take any before or after shots, even tho i can probably dig up some photos. But I find that lighting can be pretty deceiving and overall you won't be able to tell the difference over camera (scuffing can completely disappear on picture with the right lighting). So I am writing my experience based on what i can see and feel. Hopefully it will help with your product choices!

Thanks so much for putting this together! I've been reading such awesome things about Leather Honey and just ordered a bottle yesterday for my Bal. Excited to try it out on one of my other dry looking bags too!

Thank you very much for this overview!

Thanks so much for putting this together! I've been reading such awesome things about Leather Honey and just ordered a bottle yesterday for my Bal. Excited to try it out on one of my other dry looking bags too!

Thanks!

Everyone feel free to contribute their experience with the products they've tried in the thread too! I think the order you try the products makes a difference too :biggrin:

In the U.K. I use Clark's shoe products. Their premium leather cream is great and their waterproof spray is also good. I checked with the guy in the shop who had worked with leather shoes and bags for 25 years and he said it was fine to use so I bit the bullet and used both and the outcome is all good. My city has come out lovely and soft. Hope this helps.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the uk that can recover my leather covered giant hardware pompon bag studs?At least 3 studs have the leather peeling off - or has anyone attempted to get it fixed themselves. I was looking at maybe attempting to get the stud off myself and trying to find a matching leather to cover it with, but am scared to undo the stud in case I can't get it back on again. Any ideas ladies?. Or has anyone tried it themselves? Thanks

Last edited:
thank you so much for sharing! i love this thread! Been wanting to try the zelikovitz top coat because the scuffed & dried corners are a great concern of mine. And will also be trying the leather honey because my apple garde leather conditioner did not do such a great job, it made my bal color fade and dry out a bit...probably because I rubbed too hard. Booo......I also want the best rain and stain repellent because I sprayed my mini city 3 times with Apple garde brand, and it still got color transfer. Why on why apple garde.....you kind of let me down.

thank you so much for sharing! i love this thread! Been wanting to try the zelikovitz top coat because the scuffed & dried corners are a great concern of mine. And will also be trying the leather honey because my apple garde leather conditioner did not do such a great job, it made my bal color fade and dry out a bit...probably because I rubbed too hard. Booo......I also want the best rain and stain repellent because I sprayed my mini city 3 times with Apple garde brand, and it still got color transfer. Why on why apple garde.....you kind of let me down.

Oh man I heard that apple garde turns your bags yellow. What colour is your mini city? my blue minerale one hasnt transferred much.

Oh man I heard that apple garde turns your bags yellow. What colour is your mini city? my blue minerale one hasnt transferred much.

I've only read good things about Apple Garde, particularly about the rain & stain repellent and also the leather conditioner. The leather cleaner however, I've read that it's way too strong for bals. My mini city is in rose azalee which is a bright coral pink. I've never heard of yellowing bags due to Apple Garde. I've just tried the Zelikovitz top coat a few days ago and I'm very impressed. The scuffing and drying and fading on my corners died down. It looks shiny and protected, even though it is not perfect since it does have marks on it still. But anyways, I'm very happy. I really wanted to try the leather honey on my bal since there are so many raves about it here, but then I came across a thread or post that said it is not good at all for light colored bals and it stained some parts of the leather or it was only meant to be used on new bals or untreated bals. I'm scared to use leather honey now because my color is light & bright, also it has been treated with three different products already! But I really hope I can find an even better leather conditioner after my apple garde one runs out. I don't think your blue minerale will transfer much because it's quite a dark color bag.

very helpful overview. thank you. i've heard mixed things about Apple, but lots of threads mention LovinMyBags (LVB). any experience w/that brand? thanks in advance

I use LMB's So Natural and Beauty & Shine products on my Bal. I purchased the So Natural collection first and use it on essentially all my leather bags. It works just fine but LMB recommends Beauty & Shine for Bal, and that was why I got it. I didn't notice a difference between the two product lines on Bal.

Almost all my Bal bags were purchased new or like new so they don't need much work. I really lucked out because I never had a problem with the leather quality, considering all my bags were purchased online. My Cumin's corners were a bit dry when I got it. I tried LMB moisturizer but it didn't seem to work. I think for conditioning dry Bal Leather Honey works much better.

Overall I am pretty happy with LMB's Cleanser and Protection product. I also use their For Handles Only to prevent handle discoloration, but for moisturizing I would recommend Leather Honey.