Boston

definitely newbury street for shops and restaurants. the pru and copley for more high end shopping.

downtown crossing is near the common. it is a t (subway) stop. has H&M among other stores. www.mbta.com has all the info you need for traveling by subway/bus.

two really good japanese restaurants imo are ginza and fugakyu....which are both near the boston univ. campus. they are very close to t stops on the green line on the C line part of the green going outbound.
www.ginzaboston.com

december it gets pretty cold....but i don't think its as severe as midwest weather?

mike's pastry in the north end always gets rave reviews. haven't been there myself (i don't know what i was thinking). www.mikespastry.com

i really hope the weather won't be as bad as it is here. Oooh that fugakyu sounds good..saw really good reviews on it. I just read about Mike's pastry. I guess it is a must to go to. I will definitely check that out, I love pastry. thanks!

so generally is it better to take the bus, train or subway when going around boston? The last time I went there I couldn't figure it out(really poor sense of direction) and ended up taking one bus to pru from NEU and just cabs all the time(yikes, but at least it wasn't too expensive since I didn't go anywhere far).

please keep recommendations coming. I'm gonna be staying in Boston for almost a week so need all the suggestions I can get. Thanks to everyone who posted and thanks in advance :cutesy:

I think the subway/Train system in Boston is pretty good and you can certainly hit all the hot spots easily. Green line for Newbury, Boylston, Copley Place, Prudential; Red Line for Harvard Square.
There are so many good restaurants in the area.....any idea on what kind of restaurant you were looking for?
Definitely take a Duck Tour (pick up at Prudential Bldg) but bundle up.
I have lived in Boston most of my life, now living on Cape Cod
THe weather can be 20 degrees or 50 degrees in December...it is New ENgland after all....

I would definitely check out Newbury street. Great shopping there. Copley, Faneuil Hall & the Pru also have great shopping. Downtown crossing IMO isn't the same since Filene's basement closed. There is still H & M, TJMaxx, Marshalls, & Macy's there though as well as some others. Boston is an easy city to get around - I walk everywhere, but it's going to be cold I'm sure so the T (subway) can get you wherever you want to go in the city & is pretty easy to navigate.

There are tons of great restaurants. Pizzaria Regina is great for pizza, Union Oyster House & Marshall house @ Faneuil both are very good. Legal seafood is OK too (Copley or the Pru). Any Italian I would head to the north end of course & there are some great bakeries there too. The Langham Hotel in the financial district has a fabulous Sunday Brunch - it's pricey though - $50 a person last I checked but the best brunch in the city!

Bundle up & enjoy!!

how's the weather in Boston during december? I'm going mid december. I hope its not worse than midwest weather.

Oh and any suggestions for a really good Japanese restaurant in Boston? I'd love to splurge on dinner for one night. And also recommendations for good bakeries. thanks!

Oisihii in the South End or Uni in Back Bay (at the Eliot Hotel), these are more authentic Japanese restaurants that do not only serve sushi.

on the main mbta.com page there is a tool called "plan a trip" under the rider tools section. you can input start and end addresses and it can tell you different ways of getting there. i find this to be helpful for places that aren't immediately outside the station.

so generally is it better to take the bus, train or subway when going around boston? The last time I went there I couldn't figure it out(really poor sense of direction) and ended up taking one bus to pru from NEU and just cabs all the time(yikes, but at least it wasn't too expensive since I didn't go anywhere far).

please keep recommendations coming. I'm gonna be staying in Boston for almost a week so need all the suggestions I can get. Thanks to everyone who posted and thanks in advance :cutesy:

If you're staying within the city I see no need to take the bus or a train. You can take the T (subway) everywhere pretty much or walk. I've never used the bus, only the T or when it's late & it's no longer running we've taken a cab. Where are u staying?

I think the subway/Train system in Boston is pretty good and you can certainly hit all the hot spots easily. Green line for Newbury, Boylston, Copley Place, Prudential; Red Line for Harvard Square.
There are so many good restaurants in the area.....any idea on what kind of restaurant you were looking for?
Definitely take a Duck Tour (pick up at Prudential Bldg) but bundle up.
I have lived in Boston most of my life, now living on Cape Cod
THe weather can be 20 degrees or 50 degrees in December...it is New ENgland after all....

that's definitely helpful. I'll remember that when I take the subway. I've been wanting to do the Duck Tour but I think they dont operate during winter months :sad:

If you're staying within the city I see no need to take the bus or a train. You can take the T (subway) everywhere pretty much or walk. I've never used the bus, only the T or when it's late & it's no longer running we've taken a cab. Where are u staying?

we're staying at the midtown hotel. I heard its pretty dodgy but its only 80 something per night and we're gonna be in boston for almost a week so we figure might as well save as much on hotel so we can spend more on food and shopping lol. it's on 220 huntington ave. is there a subway stop near there?

oh i've heard of oishii. I wanted to go there the first time I went to Boston but I was pretty lost and it was crazy windy so I decided to just shop around in pru lol

Oishii is in the South End (the first location is in the suburbs), not to be confused with Osushi in Copley Place (which is connected to the Pru).

Osushi is pretty good though. Trendy and "Euro," cheaper than Oishii or Uni.

http://www.osushirestaurant.com/

You should definitely take a picture in front of Fenway park (The baseball stadium) If you take the Duck tour, like someone mentioned earlier it prob takes you by it. It's a cultural landmark and one of the most historical basball stadiums. Believe me, you dad, brother, bf etc., will be VERY impressed.