Moth damage. Sell? Wear? Toss?

Will also add one of the many reasons that lavender sachets or lavender oil is suggested is
because lavender besides being a natural product it repels moths & their strong sense of smell
There are some very high quality lavender sachets & oils in the marketplace but they do have to be
changed frequently.
Clothes need to be stored properly with fresh air circulating as moths do like to hibernate in dark
areas not only our closets but in kitchen areas as well

• Insightful
Reactions: protein_
OP, I feel your pain! This happened to me but to my camel colored long coat. I was devastated and had only worn it once when I noticed the damage. I was so grossed out that I got my coat dry cleaned and asked the owner if she could fix it. She said it couldn’t be fixed. I kept the coat and wonder what I should do with it also. The damage is on the shoulder and underneath the wrist. It’s not super obvious, but it’s def there. The part that really makes me sad is that I got it on my trip to London and it wasn’t cheap. :crybaby:

OP, I feel your pain! This happened to me but to my camel colored long coat. I was devastated and had only worn it once when I noticed the damage. I was so grossed out that I got my coat dry cleaned and asked the owner if she could fix it. She said it couldn’t be fixed. I kept the coat and wonder what I should do with it also. The damage is on the shoulder and underneath the wrist. It’s not super obvious, but it’s def there. The part that really makes me sad is that I got it on my trip to London and it wasn’t cheap. :crybaby:
I am sure this too can be fixed if you find the right person, I linked to a network of crafters earlier in this thread, you will find one there! Invisible mending is an artform. Google it and you will be surprised🥰

I embraced visible mending too! My mom borrowed a really nice men's Marc Jacobs cardigan and I got it back with a scattershot of holes in it! She promised she'd help felt patches but I wanted to do it myself and I ended up doing it myself. The knit was very tight and I wouldn't have been able to make it invisible and there were some larger spots than I felt comfortable with so I patched it up with multicolor polka dots. I recently embroidered flowers over a single hole (right on the boob, go figure) of a new J. Crew sweater I got for a song and I love the many flowers growing on my sweater.

@PuccaNGaru I hope you can find someone to repair your coat in a way you like. It sounds like such a very special piece and it's so wonderful to keep enjoying our favorite clothes.

Thank you for sharing the crafters network @Queenofeverything !

Reactions: Queenofeverything
It's really annoying that your scarves have been affected. Personally, I find that a nicely repaired hole looks sustainable. I've also repaired a sweater myself. Unfortunately, the repair is visible, so now I wear the sweater underneath something else . In the past, I used to have decorative buttons sewn onto holes, as if it were intentional. What I often do now is put my cashmere items in the freezer to kill the eggs, especially when I've just discovered a hole. A blue light helps to 'trap' moths. Good luck with your scarves!

I’m so sorry about your scarf - it’s maddening when things like this happen. While I don’t have anything else to add regarding repairs, I did just want to say beware of carpet beetles. Most people assume that moths are the culprit when it comes to holes in clothing, but carpet beetles cause just as much damage, and because the adults and larvae are so much smaller, most people don’t even notice them (and no, you don‘t need to have carpets to have carpet beetles). Just wanted to throw that out there, as something else to be on the lookout for.