Missed promotion on natural color small Florentine satchel

There are 2 versions of the Florentine small satchel.... one made in America and one imported. The made in America version has red leather inside the zipper and red leather on the back of the tassels. The 'imported' version has the green suede inside and on the back of the tassels. The web sites don't distinguish which version is which.... but they are listed separately and the detail pictures give you clues. The colors available at any given time are often different.
Either version is fine, some ladies have a preference. Personally, I buy the made in America version when I have a choice.

hmmm I didn’t know this! How often do they have the made in the USA available? Not currently as I just looked. Does this apply to all Dooney bags or just the satchels?

hmmm I didn’t know this! How often do they have the made in the USA available? Not currently as I just looked. Does this apply to all Dooney bags or just the satchels?
Mainly the Florentine small satchel, sometimes the small satchel in some other leathers, like the Samba, Ostrich, and Portofino. Very small quantities, and you often don't know until the bag arrives with a made in USA tag.
The trim inside the zipper and on the back of the tassels is different on the Made in USA bags. In the case of the Florentine small satchels, it's red smooth leather for the Made in USA vs. green suede for the ones made outside the US. The item # are different, but the photos on the side are often not specific, so it's not a sure thing to go by them.

Reactions: HannaS1001
I looked and saw that my mini Bordeaux and small mauve both have the green. All of the pictures on the Dooney site have anything but the green. I will have to go back and look at the tags inside. I always just assumed made in the USA

I looked and saw that my mini Bordeaux and small mauve both have the green. All of the pictures on the Dooney site have anything but the green. I will have to go back and look at the tags inside. I always just assumed made in the USA

Hanna: did your bags have a Made in USA or Made in America blue and white hang tag on the outside? (A tag similar to the Dooney style/price tag). If not, and assuming they were purchased directly from a store or Dooney or I Love Dooney, if they had the green suede interior collar next to the zipper, then they are probably made in a country other than the USA. (Removeable tags on pre-loved handbags are not a guarantee of anything! Even if the bags are sold as NWT, new with tags.)

There is no rule that says Dooney can't change the design elements, but the Made in USA bags have had a smooth leather interior zipper collar and not the green suede. And the small Florentine satchels made outside the USA have used the green suede trim.

Just to confuse things, the bottom of the small satchel used to be different on the made in USA bags.... it had a rectangular base across the entire bottom. The small Flo satchels made outside the USA had a center seam on the base, not a rectangular base. And on the bags made outside the USA the belting continued all round the bag..... front, base, back. On the Made in USA small satchels, the belting stopped at the bottom, wasn't on the base, and then the belting continued on the back of the bag. But over the last few years, I think Dooney starting putting the rectangular base design on all the Florentine small satchels, no matter where they were made. But a bag with a center seam on the base was almost certainly made in another country, not the USA.

It's not that one is 'better' than the other, it's just that some ladies have design preferences, many liked the flat rectangular base because it doesn't tend to sag when you put in heavy items, On the other hand, the continuous belting is a nice touch, and you don't find that with the rectangular base design. And some prefer green suede to red smooth leather interior and tassel trim.

I think that very few Dooney handbags are manufactured in USA today; most are made in a variety of other countries around the world. Dooney is a privately owned company, headquartered in Connecticut. Details about what is done where in the world are not published.

There are a number of things that go into a handbag.... design, sourcing leather, sourcing hardware, processing leather, and the manufacturing of the bag itself. Probably more, I'm not an expert.
Any part of the process can be done in one or more places. How do we define MADE IN USA? It's not as simple as we like to think. Ideally, 100% of the parts and the labor are all done in the USA if the item is labeled made in USA or made in America. But that's not realistic... does a company make it's own zippers or buy them from another USA based company? And who owns that zipper company? If everything is designed and made in the USA, can the metal trim be made elsewhere and imported? Is there a dollar % rule or a labor % rule or some other guideline? And who decides?

Over time we try to put together a picture based on bits of information and marketing communications from the company. But it's hard to have any certainty, and design and manufacturing choices a company makes can change... there is nothing wrong with that.

Different countries can be known for their expertise in certain things..... wouldn't you want the 'best' zipper, for example to be used on your product? And we also have ideas that certain countries have great designers or great leather or a heritage of fine craftsmanship. How much of this image is fact, today, and how much it was true at some point, but not today? Details, details, details.... they can make a big difference.

Personally, I see pros and cons to all the differences.... but I prefer a handbag to be made in USA. I'm not sure the quality is better.... I like to think it is.... but from an economic and social standpoint.... Made in USA is a good thing to me.

Enjoy your handbag, no matter where it was made. I've found Dooney handbags to be very high quality, across the different collections and styles. Florentine and Alto collections top the list for quality.

I have the tags in pockets of the bags , the satchels don’t have the made in the USA tags. I’m only buying from Dooney,com or ILoveDooney as tempting as other sources may be lol

I just assumed because of the Connecticut connection they were made in USA

I have the tags in pockets of the bags , the satchels don’t have the made in the USA tags. I’m only buying from Dooney,com or ILoveDooney as tempting as other sources may be lol

I just assumed because of the Connecticut connection they were made in USA

In the beginning, Dooney was made in Connecticut. But over the years, as the company grew, some (most ?) of the manufacturing was moved to other parts of the world. I don't know when that started happening.

In the last few years there seem to be some styles that are being made in the USA again..... the ones I've come across are all the small satchel design, done in different leathers.…. Florentine, ostrich, Samba, and maybe a few others. They seem to be small batches.... I wonder if they are being made as 'exclusives' for some store or even the Dooney boutiques.

In the beginning, Dooney was made in Connecticut. But over the years, as the company grew, some (most ?) of the manufacturing was moved to other parts of the world. I don't know when that started happening.

In the last few years there seem to be some styles that are being made in the USA again..... the ones I've come across are all the small satchel design, done in different leathers.…. Florentine, ostrich, Samba, and maybe a few others. They seem to be small batches.... I wonder if they are being made as 'exclusives' for some store or even the Dooney boutiques.

thanks! I am going to pay more attention just out of curiosity now ..I have a Cameron satchel I didn’t check the tags yet, i am now obsessed lol I won’t be getting to any stores or boutiques any time soon though which sucks or I would really make it a mission lol