Maybe I’m not a Kelly girl? Or try again?

My first H bag was a vibrato Herbag about two decades ago and I found (and still find) the clasp fiddly. I was sure that I would never want a K as I thought them too ladylike: prim and proper which I am definitely not. I have three Bs (one in each size) and for me they are perfect: I love the easy access and am okay with carrying them by hand or over my elbow. I now have a 1999 K32 retourne which I enjoy wearing...I don't find a retourne too ladylike and I have a couple of interesting straps that further relax the style. BUT I still find the clasp slightly irritating. It's not hard but, compared to the easy access of the B, it's annoying. I also have a 24/24 but a 35 which does not have a strap so great for work but, again, a clasp to deal with.
So the short answer: if the clasp is what bothered you about a K, it will still bother you. But if you love your 24/24 maybe the clasp issue is no longer an issue?
I agree that the B is perfect. So easy and user friendly. I will be honest the clasp on the 24/24 does bug me and like with my Kellys I just leave it open when I’m in a hurry checking out at a store, etc… However I look past it because I love the aesthetic of the bag. So if I find a kelly in a color that wows me maybe I can move past the annoying clasp like with my 24/24

Reactions: tinkerbell68
I am a serial offender when it comes to these kind of buying decisions. I buy a bag and I love how it looks, the craftsmanship, the quality of the leather, etc. - however, I realise it doesn't work for my lifestyle. I sell it. After a while I forget why it didn't work, fall in love with a piece, and try again - so far, what bothered me the first time round still bothers me the second time. Kellys and Evelynes are the bags I tried to make work the hardest - and I have gone with the Fashionphile recommendation where I can return or sell back easily.
Im exactly the same. There are some bags I’ve also given second or even third chances and it still doesn’t work. However a few I’ve tried in a different size or color and it has worked and I love. I think for me the color choice and fun straps will hopefully make the Kelly work for me this time around and be a forever bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinkerbell68
Sigh, why did I sell these 2? Anyways, going to definitely add a Kelly next. What size do you guys think will work best? Leaning towards 28 BUT I remember loving my 32 a lot too. I couldn’t find a picture of my 32 on but here is my 28 on from my old instagram page. I’m about the same size 5’6 and around 125lbs.

7FE2BC92-EEAB-49A6-8DD2-DA4D9B5AF101.png

E697D994-5991-44AD-AA6C-DC317C28BE48.png

• Love
Reactions: 880 and hclubfan
Well, they were just gorgeous bags. Now you have the 24/24 I’d factor that into the decision-making on size too. If the 24/24 meets your needs for running around with kids during the day, maybe go for a smaller K (25?) this time?

Reactions: addiCCted
Well, they were just gorgeous bags. Now you have the 24/24 I’d factor that into the decision-making on size too. If the 24/24 meets your needs for running around with kids during the day, maybe go for a smaller K (25?) this time?
If I am lucky enough to come across a 25 I would love one! However I feel like those chances are slim. Unfortunately I do not have an H near me any longer and the resale market is offensive as you know for those

If I am lucky enough to come across a 25 I would love one! However I feel like those chances are slim. Unfortunately I do not have an H near me any longer and the resale market is offensive as you know for those
Very true. Much better value to be found in larger sizes in the resale market ATM. If it’s any help, I was slightly nervous that my 32 retourne would be too bulky but it is pretty similar in terms of carrying capacity to the 24/24, and sits more snugly against my frame when I use a strap

I might be in the minority. The kelly is a beautiful bag, with presence and style; its attraction is there for all to see. i understand all the posts encouraging you to try again. However I think that if you need that encouragement you know it could still be the wrong decision. To be the right decision you should want a Kelly and not need to persuade yourself.

It cannot be denied that the Kelly fastening system is fiddly.
It is shared by the Birkin, but it is rarely used.
Out of curiosity I once looked through all the Ode to the Birkin photos and 90%+ were shown used with the flap tucked in and not fastened. You cannot do that with a Kelly for security, aesthetic and structural reasons; they mostly need to be fastened properly. You might be shown 'modelling' shots of unfastened Kelly's, but they are rarely Kelly's being used in the real world.

I don't think colour choices or strap length are the real factors against a Kelly for you - there are so many alternatives now.
It was interesting that neither the Constance or Roulis worked for you - they are both compact styles.
The 24/24 that you like has a less structured character, but with the security of one easy clasp.

Very true. Much better value to be found in larger sizes in the resale market ATM. If it’s any help, I was slightly nervous that my 32 retourne would be too bulky but it is pretty similar in terms of carrying capacity to the 24/24, and sits more snugly against my frame when I use a strap
Thank you! That’s great info. I would prefer a 28cm but if it the right condition and combo came along in a 32 I’d also snag it.

Reactions: Veritybelle
I might be in the minority. The kelly is a beautiful bag, with presence and style; its attraction is there for all to see. i understand all the posts encouraging you to try again. However I think that if you need that encouragement you know it could still be the wrong decision. To be the right decision you should want a Kelly and not need to persuade yourself.

It cannot be denied that the Kelly fastening system is fiddly.
It is shared by the Birkin, but it is rarely used.
Out of curiosity I once looked through all the Ode to the Birkin photos and 90%+ were shown used with the flap tucked in and not fastened. You cannot do that with a Kelly for security, aesthetic and structural reasons; they mostly need to be fastened properly. You might be shown 'modelling' shots of unfastened Kelly's, but they are rarely Kelly's being used in the real world.

I don't think colour choices or strap length are the real factors against a Kelly for you - there are so many alternatives now.
It was interesting that neither the Constance or Roulis worked for you - they are both compact styles.
The 24/24 that you like has a less structured character, but with the security of one easy clasp.
Your post definitely has me thinking… I talked about it in another post above but I’m a top handle girl unless it’s a mini style bag. My Constance was the elan and the roulis was the 23. Smallish/Medium style or larger bags I need a top handle for them to work for me. The Kelly is definitely more practical than the birkin with the strap but deep down my heart loves the birkin most. My heart says I’m a birkin girl but my brain says add a Kelly.

Your post definitely has me thinking… I talked about it in another post above but I’m a top handle girl unless it’s a mini style bag. My Constance was the elan and the roulis was the 23. Smallish/Medium style or larger bags I need a top handle for them to work for me. The Kelly is definitely more practical than the birkin with the strap but deep down my heart loves the birkin most. My heart says I’m a birkin girl but my brain says add a Kelly.
Most would say go with your heart; that is the one you would reach for.

This might be simplistic but I get the feeling that if you you had another Birkin you would use it; if you bought a Kelly, you would know you did the right thing to get one, but it might little used.

This might be simplistic but I get the feeling that if you you had another Birkin you would use it; if you bought a Kelly, you would know you did the right thing to get one, but it might little used.

Let’s just say if the perfect B 25 popped up I wouldn’t bat an eye and I’d buy it immediately :giggle: But those are so impossible to come by. One can dream haha

And I agree, I think I would always gravitate towards my birkin as often as I could. The Kelly would be more of an addition to my collection Vs an obsession piece.

And I agree, I think I would always gravitate towards my birkin as often as I could. The Kelly would be more of an addition to my collection Vs an obsession piece.
I always reach for the Bs first! Of course, my K is box so in the rainy PNW I tend to have fewer days that I can use it. But if I were offered both a B30 and a K28 that were otherwise identical re color, leather, hardware and could only take one…no contest!

I always reach for the Bs first! Of course, my K is box so in the rainy PNW I tend to have fewer days that I can use it. But if I were offered both a B30 and a K28 that were otherwise identical re color, leather, hardware and could only take one…no contest!
I completely agree with you on that! I personally look forward to grabbing my B and I make excuses to wear it out lol. I personally haven’t felt that strongly about a bag before. Imo that says a lot. It would take a really phenomenal color/leather combo in a K to sway me from another B I think…

I do see a Kelly in my collection again. Maybe after another B and one day if big bags are on “trend” and I can actually snag a 25cm K :giggle:

What were the things that made you not like the K? If they are still there, then I doubt that you'll like another K. It's just like saying you don't like to date Mr. Y because he has bad breath..and then you see him five years later..he is cuter and sexier than before..but still has bad breath! Do you think you will like to date him at that point and you'll change your mind?!

Hello! Long story but I’m going to try and summarize, lol. I’ve bought and sold a few Hermes bags over the last 8 years. My first H purchase was a gold Evelyne pm in Togo. Sold because the style did not work for me but loved the gold color. Next I purchased a Kelly 28 in Togo black GHW and then a Kelly 32 in gold with PHW. I also purchased and returned a roulis. So I then gave the Constance a chance and it didn’t work for me. During this time I was newly married and we moved across the country 3xs over this timeline and had 2 children. It was a stressful but exciting time and my mind was not on my bags. So when I was pregnant with my first (maybe crazy pregnancy hormones) I decided to sell my Kelly’s because I was not using them and they felt too mature. Pains me how little I paid for them to Vs now .

I’ve taken the last few years away from Hermes and have owned many many different brands and I’m back to Hermes again. Nothing can compete imo. Recently I added the 24/24 in 29cm and most recently I added a birkin 30cm. I’m now itching to add either a Kelly 28cm or another birkin 30. And I guess my question is should I stay away from Kelly given my history? Or give it another go? Anyone else sold and then years later repurchased and loved?