Margot Robbie

Exclusive: Margot Robbie reveals new ‘Pulp Fiction’ style film project during first trip to UAE

Australian actress and Wolf of Wall Street star Margot Robbie made an appearance in Abu Dhabi over the weekend at an exclusive private party hosted by British Airways. Held in a luxury villa on Zaya Nurai Island, two hundred VIPs gathered to celebrate the launch of routes served by the airline’s new luxury Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. Entertainment was provided by British pop-starlet Jessie J while Pirates of the Caribbean star Orlando Bloom briefly posed for selfies with guests. In an exclusive interview, Robbie revealed her upcoming projects.

This is your first trip to the UAE. Has Abu Dhabi met with your expectations so far?

Yes it is, I’ve been in the airport before about a billion times because to get from England to Australia I’d normally stop off here. So it’s really amazing to finally get the chance to explore and go a bit further. I don’t really know what I was expecting to be honest. I didn’t expect to like it as much as I do, that’s for sure. I went out into the desert yesterday — and coming from Australia, I’ve obviously been in the outback before — and thought I knew what the desert looked like. However, the desert here is completely different. In fact, I’d say the desert I’ve seen here is one of the most stunning things I’ve ever seen in my life. Ever. Truly. I watched the sun go down behind the dunes and it was beyond magical. I was thinking about Aladdin the whole time. So, yes, I really didn’t expect to be enchanted by the UAE as much as I have been.
Have you managed to catch the censored version of The Wolf of Wall Street that is available in the region?
I haven’t seen the entire cut version, to be honest, but I have been on countless airplane journeys when other people have been watching it. I did notice that there were a lot of quick cuts and jumps between scenes. Lot of bits had been missed out and of course, naturally, I would expect the version of the film that’s doing the rounds here would be very heavily censored.
Do you think the cuts detract away from your performance or leave the film wanting?
It’s hard to generalise and on one hand I’d say no because a lot of the plot points and the characters can clearly still be seen. But at other times, of course, yes. Sometimes, you’re obviously only getting part of the details.
Aside from your upcoming role in the superhero film Suicide Squad, what other projects do you have in the pipeline?
Well, something new is that I’ve got into producing lately. I’m producing a couple of things but there is one big one in particular that I’m focusing on. I’ll be aiming to shoot it in London in the new year and I’m really enjoying being behind the lens. The experience has really opened my eyes to the world of indie film producing — it’s such a hustle, extremely difficult but very rewarding.
What’s the genre and plot of the film?
It’s very ambitious as a film and best described as a ‘thriller-noir’ movie. It’s not your generic or average film. It’s like a British version of Pulp Fiction and Sin City with a very heavy noir influence.
Does it have a name, involve any famous actors and when might we see it released?
Well, all I can tell you is that it’s called Terminal and at this stage I’ve no idea when it might be released as we’re still locking so many things in. But work-wise, the film is definitely where my focus is right now.
You’re here as an ambassador for British Airways so what kind of traveller are you? Do you have a routine?
Oh for sure, I’ve got the routine completely down at this point because I’ve done it about a billion times. Firstly, I always wear outfits that are easily transferred into pyjama outfits too. I travel light and as soon as I get on the plane I lay out everything I need in the cabin, exactly where I need it. When I board I also go straight to the bathroom, change my clothes and wipe all my make-up off. I then apply a really heavy moisturiser and I’m pretty much good to go.
source: http://www.thenational.ae/arts-life...n-style-film-project-during-first-trip-to-uae

x8wexpB.jpg
Sneak peek: 'Tarzan' puts a twist on a legend

Welcome back to the jungle, Tarzan.

Lots of action, adventure and apes are on tap for the next incarnation of the iconic Edgar Rice Burroughs character played by Alexander Skarsgård (True Blood) in The Legend of Tarzan (in theaters July 1). And for director David Yates, it was a way to return moviegoers to a wondrous Africa in a properly romantic way.

“They haven’t been there for an awfully long time,” says Yates, who directed the last four Harry Potter films.

Legend takes a different approach to Tarzan than Burroughs’ 1910s writings, the 1930s Johnny Weissmuller movies and other pop-culture adaptations that focused on the man being raised by simians and becoming lord of the jungle. Instead, the movie finds John Clayton III, Lord Greystoke, a decade removed from his home in the Congo and fully entrenched as a British gentleman in 1880s Victorian London, with his beloved wife Jane (Margot Robbie) by his side.

He’s left his African home behind — his early days are seen in flashbacks — but is constantly reminded of his earlier exploits and gets invited back as an emissary of Parliament. While hesitant at first, Tarzan eventually returns to the Congo, old friends as well as Jane are put in serious danger, and his latest cliff-jumping, vine-swinging story kicks off from there.

“It’s almost the opposite of the classic tale, where it’s about taming the beast,” says Skarsgård, 39. “This is about a man who’s holding back and slowly as you peel off the layers, he reverts back to a more animalistic state and lets that side of his personality out.”

The cast also features Djimon Hounsou as Chief Mbonga, Samuel L. Jackson as the real-life figure George Washington Williams and Christoph Waltz as the Belgian antagonist Captain Leon Rom. There's a historical backdrop for the movie, says Yates: Belgium's King Leopold II, originally thought of as a philanthropist, took the Congo as his own colony in the 1880s and was responsible for a mass genocide that killed millions.

Jane has always factored heavily into the Tarzan mythology, and Yates envisions Robbie as a 21st-century take on the character who’s “in no way a passive partner to Tarzan. She’s a really strong, assertive, beautifully knowledgeable, very sexy modern woman who can more than look after herself,” says the director.

“In a way, it’s a story of two human beings and how they save each other.”

Yates also found Skarsgård a perfect Tarzan for 2015. The filmmaker liked that he was born in Sweden but found a career in America, so “he has this wonderful quality of not quite belonging to one or the other.” Plus, there was a distinct grace and physicality to the 6-foot-4 actor.

“Tarzan needs muscles, but it’s more a leaner, longer, more vertical modern man than the square-jawed stereotype we’re used to,” Yates says.

To get in Tarzan shape, Skarsgård spent four months in an all-consuming training regimen before principal photography started. “I basically didn’t see my family or my friends,” he says, though he adds that the part “was definitely worth getting up at 4:30 in the morning.”

Skarsgård also partnered with choreographer Wayne McGregor to figure out the movements and posture of a guy who carries himself as an upper-crust Englishman yet ultimately re-embraces his wilder side when he returns to his Congo home.

“He works mostly with the best contemporary ballet dancers in the world, so it was quite unusual for him to work with somebody like me who can’t touch their toes,” Skarsgård quips.

Africa itself is a main character in the movie, according to Yates, who tapped Potter collaborator Stuart Craig to design his Legend of Tarzan sets. To capture the jungle flavor, two hangars at an old English airplane factory were transformed into soundstages 200 yards long with real trees, vegetation, running water and mountainous areas. Green screen and CGI were used, as well as natural elements photographed in Gabon to add richness to the fully realized environment.

“A lot of movies, you have to go to the far reaches of the galaxy to find extraordinary beauty and amazing things,” Yates says. But, he adds, “they’re right here on the planet. They exist just a few thousand miles away.”

source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...f-tarzan-movie-sneak-peek-exclusive/76932268/

"here you're borderline 10. What are you? 15?" hahahaha.. that was great.

Anything Tina Fey does, I'm there for.