Mansur Gavriel or Saint Laurent tote?

Chiming in here!

I vote for the Saint Laurent. Here is my reasoning:

1. Not sure if you're encountered it in person yet, but the leather has a very subtle texture to it. It won't scratch easily, and it looks "fresh/new" pretty consistently.

2. The pouch on the SL is more functional. The security leash is totally removable, whereas it is sewn onto the pouch for the MG tote. It'd be a great way to quickly pull out essentials when you need to run to lunch or out for errands.

3. Straps are longer on the SL (which, I believe, makes them longer than the straps on the St Louis PM also)

Hope that can help you. I know the SL is more expensive, but I really think it's a better investment piece. It won't look as "used" after a few years. MG leather tends to scratch and scuff pretty badly, imo. I think it would have better resale value, too. If that is important to you :smile:

Chiming in here!

I vote for the Saint Laurent. Here is my reasoning:

1. Not sure if you're encountered it in person yet, but the leather has a very subtle texture to it. It won't scratch easily, and it looks "fresh/new" pretty consistently.

2. The pouch on the SL is more functional. The security leash is totally removable, whereas it is sewn onto the pouch for the MG tote. It'd be a great way to quickly pull out essentials when you need to run to lunch or out for errands.

3. Straps are longer on the SL (which, I believe, makes them longer than the straps on the St Louis PM also)

Hope that can help you. I know the SL is more expensive, but I really think it's a better investment piece. It won't look as "used" after a few years. MG leather tends to scratch and scuff pretty badly, imo. I think it would have better resale value, too. If that is important to you :smile:
Thank you for this...very helpful & informative. My first choice was really SL then I saw the photos of MG totes, so similar, cheaper & popular but yes I would go for quality first. Always.

Do SL have markdowns on totes too?

I really love the look of the YSL tote but when I received it, I was somewhat disappointed. It was too slouchy for me and lacking something. I prefer my leather totes to be more structured. The MG bag is nice and sleek. What type of leather is it?

I really love the look of the YSL tote but when I received it, I was somewhat disappointed. It was too slouchy for me and lacking something. I prefer my leather totes to be more structured. The MG bag is nice and sleek. What type of leather is it?
Oh did you return it? Was the leather scratched proof? Crease?

Thank you for your feedback.

I kept the tote for a day to see if it would grow on me. I returned it the following day because I just didn't love it.

From memory, the leather was thick and didn't look it would scratch easily. It was also pliable, so it wouldn't crease. However, you will have to ask someone who currently owns the bag and has used it for a while to confirm.

You're welcome :smile:

MG is shiny and scratches easily. I have actually owned both and didnt love either. MG stays wide open and the pouch that is connected doesnt stay connected to the bag while in the purse. The SL bag is very lightweight and slouchy. If you dont stuff the bag it takes a sloppy shape. The leather seems more durable and it has a magnetic snap to close it (although the magnet is not very strong). IMHO get a Celine instead. I had a cabas tote and sold it as well but the quality was superior to these two.

Confirm MG scratches easily. That is also quite normal because they use vegetable tanned leather that is more prone to scratches and stains. It's also stiffer. I prefer the YSL one, not a fan of structured totes especially if they don't have a closure system... at least a zipper! Even if I like the "shiny" effect of their leather...

Is italian vegetable tanned leather. While the quality of vegetable tanned leather is really high, it also scratches easily and it's prone to stains (water, rain, etc)... also its colour changes during the years and get a "vintage" look. In other words I don't really like it :P

Ladies, can you help me choose? What are the feedbacks of these 2 totes? They basically look the same, simple but classy. The only difference I could see are:

The leather of MG is more structured I think, SL has the added gold charm, and the price. SL is $995 MG is $585.

just happened to see these YSL totes on Selfridges today + cost is less due to current exchange rates - also, being under $800 USD no duties/customs charge/tax so only additional charge is $40 ship fee - HTH + GL!

I don't have either so not much help, but I adore vintage YSL rings + cuffs! I'd go for YSL over MG as I like the less ridged look - also, I don't like how MG only sends the bag's "pink box" when buying only from MG, yunno?!?

MG is shiny and scratches easily. I have actually owned both and didnt love either. MG stays wide open and the pouch that is connected doesnt stay connected to the bag while in the purse. The SL bag is very lightweight and slouchy. If you dont stuff the bag it takes a sloppy shape. The leather seems more durable and it has a magnetic snap to close it (although the magnet is not very strong). IMHO get a Celine instead. I had a cabas tote and sold it as well but the quality was superior to these two.

good point on Celine!

there is a new Celine mini tote that comes with a strap that could be crossbody too depending on one's height - it's quite cute and it def comes in black with very little HW, the one I saw was black w/SHW.....

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to say the MG pouch is not sewn on. The strap can be removed and the pouch is attached on the end of it with a button. So the pouch can be removed from the strap easily and the strap can be totally removed from the bag too. Just thought I'd add that in case anyone else was deciding and this was a feature they were after.

I've had a couple of MG totes and returned them all as I found they just totally gaped at the top and I have quite a few MG bags so I have just bought the SL one for something different and the closure at the top.

Reactions: Bizaar