Made in U.S.A

fayden said:
as long as it isn't made in china. i hate huge corporations that want to maximize their profits with cheap labor like coach does. i do agree the quality is superb, i just don't agree with their moral ethics. so no more coach for me.

I agree with you, Fayden.

I thought at some time the US speedy's and some luggage was made by the French Luggage Company in California. Is that true? A lot of their stuff looks so similar.

Greenie said:
I agree with you, Fayden.

I thought at some time the US speedy's and some luggage was made by the French Luggage Company in California. Is that true? A lot of their stuff looks so similar.

I have seen a lot of vintage Speedys on eBay that have a tag saying it was made by the French Company. I think they're from the 1970s and 1980s.

Cristina said:
I have seen a lot of vintage Speedys on eBay that have a tag saying it was made by the French Company. I think they're from the 1970s and 1980s.

i wish they still made the french co. speedys, i like them a lot better since they're made of two separate pieces of canvas with a strip of leather down the bottom. just seems like a more durable (and less likely to sag) construction to me.

amanda said:
i wish they still made the french co. speedys, i like them a lot better since they're made of two separate pieces of canvas with a strip of leather down the bottom. just seems like a more durable (and less likely to sag) construction to me.

Most of the vintage ones I have seen on eBay have held up well, given the fact they're 20+ years old.

dk2504 said:
Hi girls,
I've been posting in the other threads about my dislike for the monogram speedy (no offense to anyone ;) ), but I must come clean...the main reason I did not buy that bag was because it was not made in France. All the bags at the boutique were made in the u.s.a. Dont get me wrong, Im all about the red, white, and blue :biggrin: , but isnt l.v so expensive because its made in france?
does this bother anyone else or is it just me??? :wacko:
I've also heard that the L.V's that are made in spain and the U.S are considered "second grade"...is this true???

I don't care what anyone says, but I totally agree with you, if I am going to pay an enormous amount of money for an authentic LV bag, which I do all the time, it better say 'made in france' instead of spain or u.s.a bc LV for the longest time was ever so praised for not selling themselves out like other designers by manufacturing in cheaper plants all over the world. However, sadly, they have conformed to cost effectiveness, turning against their very principle of 'quality & luxury made in france' that made a precedence in the luxury goods marketplace back in the 1800's to the present . LV is renowned for their signature 'made in france' stamp, so for me just by seeing this discreet label makes me sigh of relief that at least the dollars I am spending on the bag went towards the item clearing US customs and taxation and the simple fact that it made a voyage across continents to get to me just like they did back in the late 1800's. Let's face it-these luxury goods are highly elitist, they are not some cheap junk made in China or Taiwan, so anyone who really does fancy LV & can afford it can rant about where it's origins are from. If a bag that I wanted was not from France, I will fly out to France and go to the Champs de Elysses to get it....;) This is just my opinion on this matter, but I do feel very strongly about it.

I agree with what New Convert said bc I also have a very good friend who works for LV and said the same thing:" I had a friend who worked at a LV Boutique. She said there is a DEFINITE difference in quality between bags made in USA vs Spain vs France. Her advise to me: ALWAYS ask for the bags made in France. Make the sales people go through the store inventory, if necessary; don't settle for a USA or Spain-made product, regardless of what the SA says..."they're all the same". They AREN'T!! For the same price, get a France-made LV." (New Convert)