LV +Vat question...

hi,

a question for all those that have travelled to paris and utilized their vat refund. my good girlfriend is going to paris in june and will be doing some luxury shopping. she is going to be going to louis and i'm thinking about getting her to get me a bag from there because it would be cheaper and i can't get to paris this year. i like to have all my louis purchases under my profile, just in the event anything goes wrong, it's registered there. my question is, to get the vat refund can she still have the bag put under my profile, but they process the paperwork under her?

hi,

a question for all those that have travelled to paris and utilized their vat refund. my good girlfriend is going to paris in june and will be doing some luxury shopping. she is going to be going to louis and i'm thinking about getting her to get me a bag from there because it would be cheaper and i can't get to paris this year. i like to have all my louis purchases under my profile, just in the event anything goes wrong, it's registered there. my question is, to get the vat refund can she still have the bag put under my profile, but they process the paperwork under her?
I would say from experience no. LV puts the sale through against the persons name and notes their passport details etc. These documents then get handed over for the refund and you need both the item and documents on you at your last port before leaving Europe.

Reactions: a_b_c
hi,

I don’t think so. When I went, I wanted to put the purchases under my profile but as my husband was paying on his card they said in order to claim the VAT back it would have be in under his name/profile to match the payment card

Hi everyone, I live in Canada and my sister lives in the UK. I plan to visit her this spring to celebrate her 40th, and we would go to Paris and maybe Milan and I'm back to Canada. Would spend about 10days. On this trip, I plan to do some shopping from LV and Gucci specifically.
Does anyone have any experience to share around VAT refund, Canada customs declaration and charges upon re-entry? And of course, any tips for this trip would be welcome.

Not sure about Canadian customs specifically as I live in the US, however, I have done some shopping in Paris recently and did take advantage of the VAT refund. Between the already lower price point and VAT refunds, estimated savings were as much as 30% on some purchases (Givenchy, Louis Vuitton, etc). You just have to make sure you tell them you want VAT refund at time of purchase and the SA will fill out paperwork for you. Make sure you have your passport or a photo of your passport with you. You'll be given the option of refund by cash or credit card but note if you opt for cash you'll be given euros at the airport and there may be a small fee plus you will then have to pay to convert. Credit card option simple but takes time to get refund. Make sure you leave extra time at airport to wait in line to go through this process and have documents and items with you (though noone has ever asked to see the items). Have fun! Anything else you specifically have planned besides shopping?

Not sure about Canadian customs specifically as I live in the US, however, I have done some shopping in Paris recently and did take advantage of the VAT refund. Between the already lower price point and VAT refunds, estimated savings were as much as 30% on some purchases (Givenchy, Louis Vuitton, etc). You just have to make sure you tell them you want VAT refund at time of purchase and the SA will fill out paperwork for you. Make sure you have your passport or a photo of your passport with you. You'll be given the option of refund by cash or credit card but note if you opt for cash you'll be given euros at the airport and there may be a small fee plus you will then have to pay to convert. Credit card option simple but takes time to get refund. Make sure you leave extra time at airport to wait in line to go through this process and have documents and items with you (though noone has ever asked to see the items). Have fun! Anything else you specifically have planned besides shopping?
I find this detailed response quite helpful...thank you Stacy_natalie!

Reactions: stacy_natalie