LV gold Keychain repair?

shishkabob

Jan 5, 2019
Hi all...I have a gold large LV keychain that my husband bought for me several years back. I actually used it as a keychain, which caused the plating to tarnish/wear. It's been sitting in my drawer now for a few years. Will Louis Vuitton do a repair on this, like replate it? If I use it as a bag charm, I think it makes LV look like their quality is poor. I would like to use it again, but would love to get it replated or something.Key ring.jpg

Hi all...I have a gold large LV keychain that my husband bought for me several years back. I actually used it as a keychain, which caused the plating to tarnish/wear. It's been sitting in my drawer now for a few years. Will Louis Vuitton do a repair on this, like replate it? If I use it as a bag charm, I think it makes LV look like their quality is poor. I would like to use it again, but would love to get it replated or something.View attachment 5769496
Have you reached out to CS or a boutique to ask about re-plating services?

Have you reached out to CS or a boutique to ask about re-plating services?
Not yet. I chatted online but they said I would need to bring or send in for evaluation. I thought I asked at the boutique many years ago and they said nothing could be done? I would think something could/should be though?

Reactions: TC1
Not yet. I chatted online but they said I would need to bring or send in for evaluation. I thought I asked at the boutique many years ago and they said nothing could be done? I would think something could/should be though?
I think they would probably charge you more than it costs. I did the same with mine, used it as a keychain and I just have it in the box. I did use it on my Sac Plat and it looked but I’m not using that as a work bag now. I was thinking about getting another one.

Reactions: shishkabob
I highly doubt that they offer any kind of repair service for any fashion jewellery kinda piece.
Not to mention that the process to remove the leftover plating and than redoing it properly is quite time consuming. I can imagine that to be realistic for their high jewellery line (although they don't need plating, but some other kind of service), but for the few hundred dollar pieces it is easier and cheaper for both the brand and the client to go with a brand new product.
They last much longer if used as a bagcharm, but if they are used as a keychain, then this is inevitable, no matter the brand and craftsmanship, it is not their fault. Even the silver ones get horribly scratched up.

I highly doubt that they offer any kind of repair service for any fashion jewellery kinda piece.
Not to mention that the process to remove the leftover plating and than redoing it properly is quite time consuming. I can imagine that to be realistic for their high jewellery line (although they don't need plating, but some other kind of service), but for the few hundred dollar pieces it is easier and cheaper for both the brand and the client to go with a brand new product.
They last much longer if used as a bagcharm, but if they are used as a keychain, then this is inevitable, no matter the brand and craftsmanship, it is not their fault. Even the silver ones get horribly scratched up.
Yes, this is probably very true. Back when I received it, I never even thought/knew about bag charms! Lol.