Looking for thoughts on resetting aquamarine stone

I think you may like the colour more with wg. The setting is pretty good as is, the stone is the star of the show. What about just rhodium plating the original setting and see if that makes the diff? It sits high but with that carat stone, it's going to poss need be high to get the light through it.

I think you’re right about the color. I really have to decide what I want this piece to be, ring or pendant. I like it as a ring, but because it sits so high, I’m afraid I’d bash it into things (it’s also a little bit big, so I’d have to get it resized in any case). To your point, though, it has to sit high for the light to get through.

I’m gonna try to visit the jeweler next week to explore options.

Reactions: papertiger
He was a rescue. A very, very old cat whose owners were giving him away. I really hate people sometimes.

Me too. I volunteer at a shelter but am currently taking a break due to burnout. You really do see the best and the worst of people in that environment.

Your cat is very lucky to have found you. :heart:

Here’s a couple of photos of my tourmaline ring (also pictured with my favorite David Yurman ring). It’s beautiful but I can’t seem to get myself to wear it much because 1) it’s very fancy and I’m not :P, and 2) I tend to gravitate toward blues, so a big green stone doesn’t match a lot of what I wear. Maybe I just shouldn’t care and should wear it anyway!

View attachment 4233334 View attachment 4233335

A breathtakingly beautiful tourmaline ring! It actually looks like an emerald!

Reactions: catsinthebag
WOW im sure it would be stunning ! Wear in good health :smile: xx

@catsinthebag I definitely have jewelry in my blood! :biggrin: I get it from the aforementioned grandmother, but my mom loves jewelry too, just different kinds (she has a lot of Native American jewelry, which I can appreciate but don’t have a real affinity for). I even worked at a jewelry store in college, but it

I’ll be taking the ring in to a very well-established jeweler in my city, so I’ll definitely ask them if they think the stone is aquamarine
Here’s a couple of photos of my tourmaline ring (also pictured with my favorite David Yurman ring). It’s beautiful but I can’t seem to get myself to wear it much because 1) it’s very fancy and I’m not :P, and 2) I tend to gravitate toward blues, so a big green stone doesn’t match a lot of what I wear. Maybe I just shouldn’t care and should wear it anyway!

View attachment 4233334 View attachment 4233335

stunning ! what a lovely gorgeous ring :smile: xx
That's a beautiful green tourmaline, in fact I believe it's a chrome tourmaline.
Paraibas are another animal altogether, they're copper-bearing and have a distinct glow. Chrome tourmalines look like emeralds. Be careful of the stone, it's only a 7 on the Mohs scale (and remember the scale is not a linear progression).

QUOTE="essiedub, post: 32666244, member: 351962"]Ooh looks like you have jewelry in your blood. I love stories of grandparents and jewelry (well any bequeathed jewelry ) I hope you post the tourmaline ring as it sounds lovely! I wondered if the ring you posted is a tourmaline. It glows like a pale paraiba. But I’m sure your jeweler was correct. It would make a most unusual aquamarine color (most being a more cool blue) So because aquamarines and emeralds are in the same family, perhaps it is a pale emerald? it has very few inclusions !.

I definitely have jewelry in my blood! :biggrin: I get it from the aforementioned grandmother, but my mom loves jewelry too, just different kinds (she has a lot of Native American jewelry, which I can appreciate but don’t have a real affinity for). I even worked at a jewelry store in college, but it was mostly handcrafted stuff, very little fine jewelry.

I’ll be taking the ring in to a very well-established jeweler in my city, so I’ll definitely ask them if they think the stone is aquamarine or something else. It would be very interesting if it was a pale emerald or tourmaline!

View attachment 4233334 View attachment 4233335[/QUOTE]
Beautiful rings! I'm with essiedub, you already have beautiful large stone rings, it's time for a necklace ;)

Your grandmother's ring is a very pretty color for aquamarine. I have a daughter with a March birthday and I find that gemstone to be the hardest to shop. They are either too clear or look like a Blue Topaz. I have come to find that I do like them best set in a white gold. She loves her birthstone and it actually does compliment her.

You have gotten some good suggestions here.

Thank you! For years I thought it was an emerald, just because my sister got her topaz at the same time and they looked like birthstones. Silly me! Can you imagine how much it would be worth if it was?

Unimaginable, hehe! Having said that, I think tourmalines are somewhat expensive as well. I have a tiny tourmaline crystal bracelet so I'm very fascinated with your big-sized ring :biggrin:

QUOTE="essiedub, post: 32666244, member: 351962"]Ooh looks like you have jewelry in your blood. I love stories of grandparents and jewelry (well any bequeathed jewelry ) I hope you post the tourmaline ring as it sounds lovely! I wondered if the ring you posted is a tourmaline. It glows like a pale paraiba. But I’m sure your jeweler was correct. It would make a most unusual aquamarine color (most being a more cool blue) So because aquamarines and emeralds are in the same family, perhaps it is a pale emerald? it has very few inclusions !.

I definitely have jewelry in my blood! :biggrin: I get it from the aforementioned grandmother, but my mom loves jewelry too, just different kinds (she has a lot of Native American jewelry, which I can appreciate but don’t have a real affinity for). I even worked at a jewelry store in college, but it was mostly handcrafted stuff, very little fine jewelry.

I’ll be taking the ring in to a very well-established jeweler in my city, so I’ll definitely ask them if they think the stone is aquamarine or something else. It would be very interesting if it was a pale emerald or tourmaline!

View attachment 4233334 View attachment 4233335[/QUOTE]

Oh come on in...baubles in all colors!! Why limit yourself to blues? The green tourmaline is really nice - definitely a fancy piece! So have a cocktail with it:drinks:

That's a beautiful green tourmaline, in fact I believe it's a chrome tourmaline.
Paraibas are another animal altogether, they're copper-bearing and have a distinct glow. Chrome tourmalines look like emeralds. Be careful of the stone, it's only a 7 on the Mohs scale (and remember the scale is not a linear progression).

My goodness, you know so much about this stuff! Mohs scale, chrome tourmalines, Paraibas — I have a lot of terms to catch up on! Really appreciate you — and everyone here — sharing all the knowledge!

Reactions: jadie1
Unimaginable, hehe! Having said that, I think tourmalines are somewhat expensive as well. I have a tiny tourmaline crystal bracelet so I'm very fascinated with your big-sized ring :biggrin:

The jeweler who set the green tourmaline appraised the whole ring at about $3k if I remember correctly, and that was about 12-15 years ago. The tourmaline itself was probably purchased by my grandfather 40 years ago, possibly in Brazil. Originally it was a pendant, set in a plain yellow gold basket setting. I’m sure he didn’t pay anywhere close to that back then!

Reactions: SmokieDragon