Longchamp Le Pliage Cuir - your opinions

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Sometimes, it happens. A popular bag and loved by others just does not work that well for us. I agree with you that it is rather pricey and I think you made the right decision to compare your options. For me personally, if I do not move into a new purchase straight away, it could very well mean that it is not for me but that's my own experience and there are a lot of others whom use the bag and grew to love it. Whichever your decision is; to keep or to return, I think it's great cos at least you got to see the bag and try it on.

I recently rehomed my brandy small cuir. I had been keeping it as I love the colour, the short strap and the new leather. I even hunted this bag down as it sold out in my country. The truth is that I very rarely use it. After letting it go, I feel quite happy. :yes:
Thanks so much. Really great insights. I’m going to sit on it for a few days and see if the hunt for the discounted bag was more exciting than the bag itself.

soooooo....I decided to keep the bag (Le Pliage Cuir, small, black). Love it! When it first arrived it had that 'chemical' smell, but now it has the nost delightful leather smell that wofts each time I use it. Its such a great bag. Really good quality, perfect size and looks great. Sometimes I just need to sit with my decision for a while and be confident in why I wanted the bag in the first place.

Checking in with my first Cuir - the new backpack in burgundy! I didn’t think I cared but it was a pleasant surprise to see the leather MIF tag :smile:

It’s so beautiful and soft and the leather smells amazing! I was worried that the “new” leather I’ve read about would be too stiff, but it’s so nice to touch. The backpack straps are a little firm but feel like they’ll also break in. My only minor gripe so far is that the top handle has a low drop, so I probably can’t carry in my arm. Seems comfortable to hand carry.

It was my first time ordering direct from LC and I’m truly so impressed with the packaging. I’ll definitely be back.

Burgundy is my favorite accent color so I did a bit of a haul, including the new Cuir cardholder. Interestingly, I can’t locate an LC tag anywhere in the cardholder. I don’t mind but found it curious.

Below is a burgundy family photo - not pictured is the matching burgundy briefcase from the Green line, which I plan to use for carrying my laptop with the backpack.

Thanks for letting me share!

5049D783-07D5-436A-AF8D-BDAB99918904.jpeg
68894BFA-A460-4547-A399-D46162141D85.jpeg

Checking in with my first Cuir - the new backpack in burgundy! I didn’t think I cared but it was a pleasant surprise to see the leather MIF tag :smile:

It’s so beautiful and soft and the leather smells amazing! I was worried that the “new” leather I’ve read about would be too stiff, but it’s so nice to touch. The backpack straps are a little firm but feel like they’ll also break in. My only minor gripe so far is that the top handle has a low drop, so I probably can’t carry in my arm. Seems comfortable to hand carry.

It was my first time ordering direct from LC and I’m truly so impressed with the packaging. I’ll definitely be back.

Burgundy is my favorite accent color so I did a bit of a haul, including the new Cuir cardholder. Interestingly, I can’t locate an LC tag anywhere in the cardholder. I don’t mind but found it curious.

Below is a burgundy family photo - not pictured is the matching burgundy briefcase from the Green line, which I plan to use for carrying my laptop with the backpack.

View attachment 5609588
View attachment 5609589
what a yummilicious pic! Love cuir leather...enjoy them!

View attachment 5609588
View attachment 5609589
So Elegant!!! all the burgundy is stunning and MIF the bonus. I have 2 of the cuir backpacks so far I really love them (The 2 I have are MI Morocco) You can loop the 2 straps through the hand loop and shoulder carry the bag. Its really great

Thank you for the great tip! I wouldn’t have thought of that.

I’m definitely enjoying this backpack style. It has a nice weight distribution, better than the original nylon backpack.
I even showed them at the LC store! They said they hadnt even thought of that either.
I have a backpack thread and it shows in there.
Yes! great style and weight distribution.

Maybe this is obvious to everyone, but I’ve been confused about what “metis leather” means. The description focusing on combining lambskin and goatskin is odd because that suggests a kind of bonded leather. But the leather seems too nice to be an actual composite.

I found a super old post that put me on the right track:
From the Pipe to the Tote: The Story of Longchamp

By Kati Vereshaka, Epoch Times | November 20, 2014
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1092963-from-the-pipe-to-the-tote-the-story-of-longchamp/

. . . The company also released a not so easily recognizable range of Le Pliage Cuir in 2012. It is an adaptation of the iconic Le Pliage shape made from the leather of an unusual African beast that is hairy rather than wooly [and] almost looks like a goat, according to Cassegrain. The leather has the enviable quality of being supple enough to be able to be folded just like the nylon totes leaving no creases when unfolded, but strong and durable.
Based on the above, I learned about hair sheep breeds, which are increasingly popular in agricultural production because they don’t require regular shearing like wooly sheep.

AB0E6492-644F-4FFD-A631-60DA8220AAF8.jpeg

I have some basic French, so then searched “cuir de metis” and read through French search results. There weren’t a ton, but the top results were from sellers offering skins of hair sheep (lambskin and sheepskin).

Mystery solved!

This is so interesting! I am curious though - the 'older' version of the cuirs vs the 'newer' version seem to have significantly different feel to the leather. Maybe, they treat the leather differently then. Seems impossible to 'change' the source animal! Haha.

This is so interesting! I am curious though - the 'older' version of the cuirs vs the 'newer' version seem to have significantly different feel to the leather. Maybe, they treat the leather differently then. Seems impossible to 'change' the source animal! Haha.
Could be treatment or maybe even change in thickness of the skin. But there are also many different breeds of hair sheep (and wooly sheep for that matter), so they might have switched breeds.

I have a Cuir backpack, which isn’t meant to be folded like other LPs but can mostly fold flat at least. It’s definitely not as soft and smooshy as the non-backpack folding Cuirs I’ve seen, so I suspect that the backpacks are a bit thicker for added structure.

View attachment 5609588
View attachment 5609589
hello
I was wondering if you could pleae let me know the colour code of your backpack, I love the Burgundy and I have small crossbody bag in the same colour, but I got it sencond hand and I'm not sure if its the same collection. Thank you!!