Le 5 a 7 Shoulder Bag

windy55

O.G.
Sep 27, 2007
Hi - maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen discussion on the Saint Laurent Le 5 a 7 Supple shoulder bag. Does anyone have any experience with this bag? I'm considering the small in grained leather. TIA
Medium2-713938AAAUQ1722_A.jpegLe 5 a 7 Supple

I do not have this bag but I have tried it on a few times in stores and considered it. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- lightly pebbled leather version is relatively durable against minor scratches
- light-weight
- Very comfortable bag to carry. Sits well on the shoulder, strap isn't too thin, and conforms to the shape of the body under the arm.
- Logo isn't too big or obvious (a pro for me)
- roomy due to the shape and can hold a lot despite not being overly bulky or large
- I love the design. It is clean and gives a casual but chic vibe.

Cons:
- Has no feet. For a bag that can carry more items, with a larger bottom, I would probably put it on the ground. It would not sit well on the seat of a chair behind me and would take up too much space on a table.
- Bottom is not as structured as I would like. I am concerned about this bag not being able to sit flat when put down. The leather is flexible and soft, which makes it comfy, but then, will it be able to stand on its own with items inside? Depends on how much is put in and where the weight shifts. (However, I do see this being somewhat remedied by a bag insert, it may make it a bit bulky though)
- Open bag. Lacks security. If it falls over, everything will spill out. I can imagine putting this on the seat of my car, making a turn or braking, and then the bag flopping to its side for the contents to spill out. I'm not a fast driver, but I do not drive slow either.
But it's also a target for theft and with the soft leather, there are easy gaps for a hand to reach into.

To note: One of the things I noticed with the Le 5 a 7 bag (the classic shoulder bag version, not supple), is that one YouTuber, Noorie Ana, was gifted the bag by her fiancé. She said she doesn't reach for this bag much because everything always spills out. Even if she's holding it, she always has to hold the bag upright. She can't lay it down on her lap or all her stuff falls out.
I'm assuming even if she puts it upright on a chair or table, if it falls over, then all the items comes out as well. And the base is narrow without a lot of surface area. (Though I suppose a bag hook would do the trick.)
Granted, the supple version has a bigger base, so I would hope that would keep it more grounded and if it does slouch, it won't actually fall over and have items come out. But again, that depends on how much one puts in the bag.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
I do not have this bag but I have tried it on a few times in stores and considered it. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- lightly pebbled leather version is relatively durable against minor scratches
- light-weight
- Very comfortable bag to carry. Sits well on the shoulder, strap isn't too thin, and conforms to the shape of the body under the arm.
- Logo isn't too big or obvious (a pro for me)
- roomy due to the shape and can hold a lot despite not being overly bulky or large
- I love the design. It is clean and gives a casual but chic vibe.

Cons:
- Has no feet. For a bag that can carry more items, with a larger bottom, I would probably put it on the ground. It would not sit well on the seat of a chair behind me and would take up too much space on a table.
- Bottom is not as structured as I would like. I am concerned about this bag not being able to sit flat when put down. The leather is flexible and soft, which makes it comfy, but then, will it be able to stand on its own with items inside? Depends on how much is put in and where the weight shifts. (However, I do see this being somewhat remedied by a bag insert, it may make it a bit bulky though)
- Open bag. Lacks security. If it falls over, everything will spill out. I can imagine putting this on the seat of my car, making a turn or braking, and then the bag flopping to its side for the contents to spill out. I'm not a fast driver, but I do not drive slow either.
But it's also a target for theft and with the soft leather, there are easy gaps for a hand to reach into.

To note: One of the things I noticed with the Le 5 a 7 bag (the classic shoulder bag version, not supple), is that one YouTuber, Noorie Ana, was gifted the bag by her fiancé. She said she doesn't reach for this bag much because everything always spills out. Even if she's holding it, she always has to hold the bag upright. She can't lay it down on her lap or all her stuff falls out.
I'm assuming even if she puts it upright on a chair or table, if it falls over, then all the items comes out as well. And the base is narrow without a lot of surface area. (Though I suppose a bag hook would do the trick.)
Granted, the supple version has a bigger base, so I would hope that would keep it more grounded and if it does slouch, it won't actually fall over and have items come out. But again, that depends on how much one puts in the bag.
Thank you so much for this detailed feedback! Your pros are all the features that attract me to this bag. I hope to give it a try this weekend and will definitely check whether the bag can stand on its base. I'm not too concerned about the openess of the bag as I can use the zip pocket for secure items and am used to open totes. I don't live in an urban area where this might be more of an issue. Again - thanks!

Reactions: lill_canele
I just got this bag. I exchanged the small bucket for the bigger size of this bag. I just loaded it up, still very light weight. It is now sitting upright in my room waiting on its maiden voyage. Can’t imagine things falling out of the bigger one…the smaller one yes. So far I love it, and I looked at lots of buckets and hobos. (I have the LV NéoNoé, I hate that the middle zipper compartment is not attached at the bottom, all my stuff ends up under that area.)

I just got this bag. I exchanged the small bucket for the bigger size of this bag. I just loaded it up, still very light weight. It is now sitting upright in my room waiting on its maiden voyage. Can’t imagine things falling out of the bigger one…the smaller one yes. So far I love it, and I looked at lots of buckets and hobos. (I have the LV NéoNoé, I hate that the middle zipper compartment is not attached at the bottom, all my stuff ends up under that area.)
Oh - would love to see a photo of your new bag! The image I posted is the Small size and it also comes in a Large. Did you find the Small like posted to be too small for your needs or just liked the look of the Large better. Thanks so much for chiming in!!

I recently purchased the bag online and returned it. It’s a little smaller than I’d expected. The strap is somewhat short, and in the way when I put my things in it, and more so when I took them out. Had to take the bag off to get inside. The color I chose (light musk) is pretty and the leather is soft and light weight, but as pretty as it is I knew it wouldn’t work for me.

ETA Small size

Reactions: windy55
I recently purchased the bag online and returned it. It’s a little smaller than I’d expected. The strap is somewhat short, and in the way when I put my things in it, and more so when I took them out. Had to take the bag off to get inside. The color I chose (light musk) is pretty and the leather is soft and light weight, but as pretty as it is I knew it wouldn’t work for me.

ETA Small size
Interesting - I kind of expected the bag would have to be taken off the shoulder to access contents but I didn't consider the strap getting in the way of getting in and out of the bag. Darn - sorry it didn't work out. I really do want to prioritize both form and function so this sounds like something I need to pay particular attention to when I see it in person. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1LV
Interesting - I kind of expected the bag would have to be taken off the shoulder to access contents but I didn't consider the strap getting in the way of getting in and out of the bag. Darn - sorry it didn't work out. I really do want to prioritize both form and function so this sounds like something I need to pay particular attention to when I see it in person. Thanks so much!
You’re so welcome. This bag could turn out to be perfect for you. A lot of people are enjoying it.

I just bought this bag in the large size in black. I went in YSL interested in the small size but it was much much smaller than I expected. The large size isn’t too large, it’s perfect for me. The drop length on the adjustable strap is just right. The pockets inside are genius and it appears a lot of thought went into the design of this bag. It sits upright and it’s not a puddled mess when empty yet it’s perfectly soft and relaxed on the shoulder. The base holds its structure without sagging with my items in it although I don’t overfill it and carry a ton of stuff. Often times I’m on the fence for a long while before pulling the trigger on a bag at this price point but it was love at first sight when I tried this on. It’s also lightweight and the single shoulder strap is comfortable and stays on my shoulder. I hope this helps anyone interested in this bag since there’s not a lot about it out there as far as reviews go.

I just tried light musk this weekend and it’s gorgeous!! I have so many black bags and I loved this but havin trouble pulling the trigger as I wanna make sure I’ll reach for this bag often. Would love to see pics as the color is newer and haven’t seen it on anyone yet!!

I got an organizer custom made before I took it out so it would keep its shape, and I'm absolutely in love with this bag. Size large in light musk. The open top doesn't bother me since my arm blocks the entry. I only carry it on my shoulder, not on the crook of my arm like I would with the small size.

Attachments

• IMG_7780.JPG
    IMG_7780.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 21
I got an organizer custom made before I took it out so it would keep its shape, and I'm absolutely in love with this bag. Size large in light musk. The open top doesn't bother me since my arm blocks the entry. I only carry it on my shoulder, not on the crook of my arm like I would with the small size.
Gorgeous! I got the same bag..was worried I wouldn’t use it enough at first because it’s hobo style and I haven’t had a bag like that in a while but it’s become my everyday bag and it is a stunner