Ladies' watches: better big or small these days?

My classic is still the 31 Rolex DateJust I bought several years ago. Trends come and go, but this is a size that will always work for me. I admire some larger size watches on some women's wrists, but it isn't true to my aesthetic. I also wear statement bracelets on the opposite wrist, so I consider the overall effect between watch and other jewelry.
Agreed!
I love the 31. This is a perfect size and I think it always will be.

My wrist is exactly 5 inch, super tiny. The size of the watch I wear depends on the material. The cheaper the watch the bigger I wear.

My super tiny wrist can fit a Casio 38mm with the watch sticking out at the sides as I am not afraid to bump into the walls with a USD$20 watch.

But for a luxurious full white gold Datejust, the 31mm fit me perfectly. This size would not bump into anything. Because the white gold is scratch resistant I like to pair it with gold bracelets and bangles. Once onto the wrist, I often forget I am actually wearing a watch. Although its full white gold, its made in 1991, therefore hollow links and very light.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-30 at 7.08.23 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
In 2007 hubby bought me a preloved 36mm full Platinum Daydate.

This watch is much heavier than the full gold DJ but because it's hollow links (made in 1991), it weighs around 220g.

The 36mm DD bumps into everything as it sticks out from my wrist, and scratches much easier than my full white gold DJ. So I do not pair it with any accessories and am very cautious with wearing it. I like it as its more readable, very rare and its a gift.

But I am thinking of selling either the DJ or the DD as I am a minimalist.

Ladies what do you think? Do I look better with the DJ or the DD?

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-30 at 7.08.23 AM (1).jpeg

Last edited:

1000% the DJ. It looks fantastic on your wrist, and you’ll get much more use and enjoyment out of a more wearable watch. The plat DD is an absolute brick. My wrist is much bigger than yours, and I still wouldn’t wear it more than once in a blue moon.

I’ll admit I’m biased. I’m a big fan of the 90s hollow links and lightweight clasp. I considered a new solid link DJ for a milestone and 180ed to a Cartier Tank for comfort.

Reactions: VintageCC
My wrist is exactly 5 inch, super tiny. The size of the watch I wear depends on the material. The cheaper the watch the bigger I wear.

My super tiny wrist can fit a Casio 38mm with the watch sticking out at the sides as I am not afraid to bump into the walls with a USD$20 watch.

But for a luxurious full white gold Datejust, the 31mm fit me perfectly. This size would not bump into anything. Because the white gold is scratch resistant I like to pair it with gold bracelets and bangles. Once onto the wrist, I often forget I am actually wearing a watch. Although its full white gold, its made in 1991, therefore hollow links and very light.

View attachment 5578549

In 2007 hubby bought me a preloved 36mm full Platinum Daydate.

This watch is much heavier than the full gold DJ but because it's hollow links (made in 1991), it weighs around 220g.

The 36mm DD bumps into everything as it sticks out from my wrist, and scratches much easier than my full white gold DJ. So I do not pair it with any accessories and am very cautious with wearing it. I like it as its more readable, very rare and its a gift.

View attachment 5578559

I think the Datejust looks perfect on you! Seems just the right size and scale. If I were you, I be inclined to let the Daydate go, as I'm not a fan of heavy, bulky watches. If you're wanting to keep just one of them, the Datejust seems much more versatile.

View attachment 5578549
I think the Datejust is perfect on you. I'm also bias and prefer the DJ vs the DD.
Going back to the original topic of this thread, I don't like the trend of extremely oversized watches. I believe in balancing a watch to wrist size.
That's why the DJ is my pick! :biggrin:

I think it depends on your height/weight. I think if you're petite, a smaller one would look best, but on me, since I'm plus size and 5'6", a larger one looks better one me and more appropriate. There's no way a small watch would look good on me.

I have a 36mm Rolex, and what I think is a 41mm Tag, that I love. I feel they look good on my wrist and not too big at all.

Last edited:
I actually like smaller watches. I am also plus sized but I do have smaller wrists. My brother said when I wear anything too bulky on my wrists I look like a genie. I try to keep my wrists from being too bulky and having too many things on my wrists.

I actually like smaller watches. I am also plus sized but I do have smaller wrists. My brother said when I wear anything too bulky on my wrists I look like a genie. I try to keep my wrists from being too bulky and having too many things on my wrists.
Hi dear, we share the same dilemma. I have very small wrists at exactly 5 inch like a child’s wrists. Even if I become very very fat my wrists will not grow any bigger. Instead if I slim down they will immediately grow thinner. So I have no choice but to remain slim n petite at a certain weight. I am 152cm, 46kg. I cannot go down to less than 45kg else my wrists will be so thin that they are a very young child’s wrists.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allthingsheart
Hi dear, we share the same dilemma. I have very small wrists at exactly 5 inch like a child’s wrists. Even if I become very very fat my wrists will not grow any bigger. Instead if I slim down they will immediately grow thinner. So I have no choice but to remain slim n petite at a certain weight. I am 152cm, 46kg. I cannot go down to less than 45kg else my wrists will be so thin that they are a very young child’s wrists.

I completely understand. I have smaller wrists and ankles and like to put the focus on them even though I am a larger person.