Karl Lagerfeld Didn't Introduce the CC Turn Lock...

...or so it may seem from this 1970s photograph, which clearly shows a CC turn lock on the Chanel bag and therefore predates KL's 1983 debut with Chanel. I had originally seen this buried in another thread somewhere on here, but found a better photograph online (below) which shows a little knob in the middle of the CC, denoting a lock.

Also, though most authenticators say that my hybrid style of the 2.55 (see my profile pic) came out in the early 1980s, there is some evidence online that it may have actually debuted in the late 70s as well.

So more than one piece of evidence that KL may not have introduced the CC turn lock as literally everyone says, including respected authenticators... Just thought I'd share, I find it quite interesting. If anyone has any opinions do weigh in!
View attachment 5347250

You are entirely correct. That photo was taken in 1974 during the time that Gaston Berthelot from Dior was brought in as “coordinator”. He was only allowed to use Coco’s designs of which she left behind thousands.

I’m not sure if I misstated in my prior answer about who gifted the CC Turnlock bags but I wanted to correct and clarify.

The picture in question was taken in 1974 for WWD.

That had to have been a bag that Coco customized for a client, as she did to match suits.

I do know that there were some gifted to high profile women in 1983 by Karl. But clearly he was not responsible for creating the CC turn lock.

Between the time of her death in 1971 & the arrival of Karl in 1983, Gaston Berthelot from Dior was hired to oversee the remaining use of Coco’s designs. There were absolutely no new designs of anything until Karl was hired.

The Chanel history between 1971-1983 is a bit murky when it comes to the fashion side as that was the time during which the Wertheimers were fighting to gain complete control of the brand.

I truly feel that this is an excellent thread. I feel like many of us who have inherited or collected for a very long time, are learning that what we thought we knew isn’t quite the whole story. This thread is fascinating.

ETA
Thank you very much for your insight and post, ntntgo!

Again, why are ppl on here trying so hard to bash the brand? Are u being paid by hermes or Dior? AS IF a picture on friggin PINTEREST would reveal the hoooorrific Truuuuuth and eeeeveryone has been lieeeeed to. Oh goodness gracious.

Seriously. I am sure chanel would know better than to sell a story and have it accidentally proven fake by a Pinterest pic

I think we are all forgetting that the only people who know what time a picture was taken are the ones who took it and are in it. U can write god knows what on Pinterest ‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: platanoparty
Again, why are ppl on here trying so hard to bash the brand? Are u being paid by hermes or Dior? AS IF a picture on friggin PINTEREST would reveal the hoooorrific Truuuuuth and eeeeveryone has been lieeeeed to. Oh goodness gracious.

Seriously. I am sure chanel would know better than to sell a story and have it accidentally proven fake by a Pinterest pic

I think we are all forgetting that the only people who know what time a picture was taken are the ones who took it and are in it. U can write god knows what on Pinterest ‍♀️

You seem very passionate

I am a lowly bag appreciator with 7 bags in my collection :smile: Definitely not being paid by anyone, I just happen to have an interest in Chanel and their history. Like many brands and their stories, there seem to be some discrepancies. I have seen enough instances that the CC turn lock was not introduced by KL to notice it but you are right, that doesn’t prove anything. This was just some food for thought for Chanel enthusiasts like myself and others on this forum.
Peace :heart:

I’m glad that I found this thread. This bag on Fashionphile states the bag was produced in 1980, which confused me because KL was not at Chanel yet. It is possible they have the date wrong?

I’m glad that I found this thread. This bag on Fashionphile states the bag was produced in 1980, which confused me because KL was not at Chanel yet. It is possible they have the date wrong?

It look likes the person meant to put the 1980s.

Reactions: HarlemBagLady
Just yesterday I found a picture which to me is a further proof CC turnlock was introduced before KL. Philippe Guibourge was designing collections at Chanel from late 70s until the early 80s, just before Lagerfeld entered the Maison. I was on GettyImages website and searched for Guibourge pictures. There’s one (number 1438406197, I’m not posting since there might be some rights issue but anyone can find it on Getty website) showing Guibourge with 2 models: one is carrying a bag on her shoulder which has the CC turnlock. The caption says “Chanel Spring 1980 Ready to Wear” and the way they’re dressed … no doubt it’s authentic.

Just yesterday I found a picture which to me is a further proof CC turnlock was introduced before KL. Philippe Guibourge was designing collections at Chanel from late 70s until the early 80s, just before Lagerfeld entered the Maison. I was on GettyImages website and searched for Guibourge pictures. There’s one (number 1438406197, I’m not posting since there might be some rights issue but anyone can find it on Getty website) showing Guibourge with 2 models: one is carrying a bag on her shoulder which has the CC turnlock. The caption says “Chanel Spring 1980 Ready to Wear” and the way they’re dressed … no doubt it’s authentic.
Super Dacob has mentioned the CC turn lock was before Karl.

Reactions: Farkvam