Just sold my chanel bag 22k pink and I lost a 2.5k

Yea, I never understood why people thought bags were investments... We all know they're inflated in price when sold to us new in stores. Material + labor + logo =/= the price tag. I never bought my bags with the need for justification to have them, other than I want them. I have limited edition hand painted statues with more work hours that sell for less than some handbags. I'm not trying to fool myself into thinking mass produced bags are somehow worth more. Desirability comes and goes.

I don’t buy bag for investment, but it is a pain when I don’t love it anymore and want to part with it.
Recently, I have same experience with my red coco handle. Somehow I don’t love it anymore and decided to let go. I lost about 2k. It is 2022 bag, which is not an old bag, no defect at all, gorgeous red caviar with gold hardware, full set with receipt, box, even cleaning cloth. Took a very long time to sell and I have to reduced the price 3 times.
No choice for me. I rather sell it than keeping something that I don’t really love. Lesson learnt, only buy black bag from now one, which I love the most.

I needed to sell the bag to make a purchase of something else. I sold it to a store that sells gold and bags. I bought the bag for almost 7k cad and sold it for 4k cad. Lost 3k. I am in pain. He says pink is a hard to sell bag. Right now the economy is bad. No one is buying and everyone is selling.
Why sell if not need money to pay necessities? That’s way too much loss, if sell this 22 to get another bag, that would be even greater loss, assuming you would lose on the next bag or the item you buy. I would just sit on the 22 pink till get $5,500 at least, or use it till cost per wear worth it.

Reactions: Sparkletastic
Unfortunately the timing for selling bags is not the best.
Pink is not the easiest color to sell but it will sell to the right person.
Sounds like you funded the sale of the Chanel bag for another purchase.
Enjoy that purchase!!
Recently I sold a used, actually quite used pink old Chanel bag for $3,000 in hand.

Oh no, I first thought it was that 22 hobo, after I saw the link you posted, yours actually is caviar quilted square flap and chipped version new seasonal bag, it would sell much better than the 22 hobo pink, it’s easily to sell for $5,500 up

and OMG, you even had protective sticker on the CC! It should sell for $6,500! Man, the store seller either too conservative or not big enough market (my guess)

Last edited:
It’s so funny I’m reading this right now, not funny haha, but funny coincidentally. I never sell my bags and this weekend thought this is crazy! I don’t carry some of them. But you know what? For that one time I might carry one, I’m keeping. I always wanted to be a cool Glamma who whipped out vintage bags to give her grandchildren to use as book bags and such…at this point I’ll be 120, lol, I was a young mother so I thought I’d be a young glammy. At least I always carry my bags and wear my jewelry whenever and wherever. It’s all you can do anymore! Life is short!

I think it is better if you can sell personally instead of selling through consignment store or platforms like Poshmark since commission fee is high. I had some luck selling my unused bags personally and mostly break even so far. Plus I am not in a rush to sell, so I will just wait until there's a good buyer. Chanel is easy to sell. LV, on the other hand, no one buys it. I have some LV bags unused and wanna sell but no luck finding buyers. Lesson learn: stick to chanel LOL

I think it is better if you can sell personally instead of selling through consignment store or platforms like Poshmark since commission fee is high. I had some luck selling my unused bags personally and mostly break even so far. Plus I am not in a rush to sell, so I will just wait until there's a good buyer. Chanel is easy to sell. LV, on the other hand, no one buys it. I have some LV bags unused and wanna sell but no luck finding buyers. Lesson learn: stick to chanel LOL
LV is one of the biggest selling brands, 90% I bought and sold are LV bags, not just in past years, also in this year.

While Chanel bags some may sell for more than you paid for, but majority individual buyers lost money when they sell them, especially if bought the wrong stuff, and those losses are much greater compare to losses on LV bags since Chanel bags mostly are much more expensive than LV bags.

Plus when prices are higher say over $5,000, buyers are much choosy, so some may become unsellable, or take take even deeper price cut just to sell.

Last edited:
I’m actually in a similar situation, thinking of selling one of my vintage pink Chanel bags, which I know it’s worth a lot more than the second hand store is offering me. It’s such a rip-off and it’s such a shame because I know it’s worth a lot more. They do not offer their customers much to buy the product outright from us, while making a huge profit for themselves!

Also, I will not say pink Chanel bag is a hard colour to sell. Pink is probably one of the most highly desirable colours right now dare I say even more than black so these are just excuses.

LV is one of the biggest selling brands, 90% I bought and sold are LV bags, not just in past years, also in this year.

While Chanel bags some may sell for more than you paid for, but majority individual buyers lost money when they sell them, especially if bought the wrong stuff, and those losses are much greater compare to losses on LV bags since Chanel bags mostly are much more expensive than LV bags.

Plus when prices are higher say over $5,000, buyers are much choosy, so some may become unsellable, or take take even deeper price cut just to sell.
I don’t want to sell my LV bags for losses since they are like new condition. (I barely get to use them and they just sit in my closet looking pretty) Of course if I list them at a discount, people will buy them.
Whereas Chanel, I list them at retail plus tax, people will buy them. That is my personal experience the past few years.

I don’t want to sell my LV bags for losses since they are like new condition. (I barely get to use them and they just sit in my closet looking pretty) Of course if I list them at a discount, people will buy them.
Whereas Chanel, I list them at retail plus tax, people will buy them. That is my personal experience the past few years.
lucky you, you possibly bought your Chanel bags 10+ years ago they kept up with price increase.

I think that if you buy pre loved, change your mind then sell it a few years later, you can sell it for the same or more than you paid for, depending on the consignor fees.
But, with a few exceptions of very hard to get bags, you generally have to hold on to new bags you bought in store for a few more years before you make your money back. And that’s for classics, for seasonal bags maybe you still make a loss.
Another way to think about it it, if you were a buyer and you weren’t making a saving buying pre loved, wouldn’t you prefer to just buy in store?
The pink is beautiful by the way

Why sell if not need money to pay necessities? That’s way too much loss, if sell this 22 to get another bag, that would be even greater loss, assuming you would lose on the next bag or the item you buy. I would just sit on the 22 pink till get $5,500 at least, or use it till cost per wear worth it.
I had to pay for a guilloche 10 motif

Reactions: mikyjew