Jewelry mishaps. Share and commiserate.

Both of my mishaps have been with diamond studs. The first time was when I noticed that one my earrings was missing after shopping at a store. I went back and searched every single aisle (mind you I was pregnant) to no avail. Later that day I found it in my purse. It must have fallen in there from my ear. I immediately got them changed to screw backs. The second time was with a pair of black diamond studs. I noticed one was missing while at my job, which is at a very busy outpatient clinic. I searched my work area and didn't find the earring. I retraced my steps and there it was, in front of the elevator door! I got very lucky both times and I don't wear studs to work anymore!

lost my tiffany 7 stone diamond band ring at bath and body works. i have a habit of taking off my rings when washing my hands. I swore I took it off and then put it back on (I have always done that), but for some reason that day, I guess I just forgot and walked out without it. By the time I realized it when I was shopping at another store, it was gone. I went back and nobody saw a thing. I was devastated, it was the first ring from my hubby. But there's a saying in my culture, if something old doesn't go, something new won't come. Hubby bought me another band ring that's just spectacular and I couldn't be happier.

Another one was a close call, my father bought me a watch for my birthday one year, an audemars piguet watch. I don't wear watches often, so I misplace it and always forget where it is. While out one day, I took it off and had hubby put it in his coat to safe keep it for me, then he forgot and off to the dry cleaners it went. I swore I thought I lost it, but then when we went to pick up the coat, surprisingly enough, it was still in the pocket. I couldn't believe it!! I was so happy I didn't lose it.

Mine also involves a ring. I was on vacation in Italy and on our last day, just before we checked out of our hotel, I went to the bathroom and I had the habit of taking my rings off when washing my hands. It was a Bvlgari RG ring and I left it in the bathroom and left the hotel. I suddenly realised in the car that I had left it when we were well on our way to the airport! So I called the hotel immediately and luckily the cleaner already handed it in! What an honest person and together with the wonder lady at the reception, my ring found its way home to me the next day!

After that, I don't take off my rings when I wash my hands outside my home or office any more.

I've lost several gold earrings, both studs and hoops. Not sure why, maybe because I have long hair and it catches on the earring? This is the reason I don't buy expensive diamond studs, even though I would love some, I would be sick and forever searching if I lost one.

Also have lost a few bracelets, one of my favorites was a sterling cuff that I lost while shopping. No one turned it in unfortunately. I lost another bracelet at Lowes, and went back to search and no one had turned it in either. Now I take any nice or favorite bracelet and get a chain guard put on it.

I've never lost a ring, probably because I never take them off.

My daughter lost her 15K diamond engagement ring at the park and never found it. Just slipped off her finger somehow. She and her friends looked for hours but never found it.

I lost my class ring 12 years ago at a tanning salon. I was trying to get a bit of color before my wedding. I always took off my rings and placed them in the heel of my shoe - somehow I missed putting my class ring on. I noticed it as soon as I started to drive out of the parking lot. I stopped and went back in the salon and there was someone else in the room I had used.

The staff informed me it was no big deal she was a regular and they knew her well that it would still be there. It wasn't. I asked if I could look the room over myself and was told yes when they closed. I returned at midnight with a huge flash light - spent 45 mins tearing the place apart. I never saw it again.

Both of my mishaps have been with diamond studs. The first time was when I noticed that one my earrings was missing after shopping at a store. I went back and searched every single aisle (mind you I was pregnant) to no avail. Later that day I found it in my purse. It must have fallen in there from my ear. I immediately got them changed to screw backs. The second time was with a pair of black diamond studs. I noticed one was missing while at my job, which is at a very busy outpatient clinic. I searched my work area and didn't find the earring. I retraced my steps and there it was, in front of the elevator door! I got very lucky both times and I don't wear studs to work anymore!

Anytime I wear earrings that have butterfly backs, I worry about them getting lost. I actually put little rubber stoppers on behind the butterfly backs as an extra precaution. I haven't gotten those perfect diamond studs yet, but when I do, they will most definitely have screw backs.

lost my tiffany 7 stone diamond band ring at bath and body works. i have a habit of taking off my rings when washing my hands. I swore I took it off and then put it back on (I have always done that), but for some reason that day, I guess I just forgot and walked out without it. By the time I realized it when I was shopping at another store, it was gone. I went back and nobody saw a thing. I was devastated, it was the first ring from my hubby. But there's a saying in my culture, if something old doesn't go, something new won't come. Hubby bought me another band ring that's just spectacular and I couldn't be happier.

Another one was a close call, my father bought me a watch for my birthday one year, an audemars piguet watch. I don't wear watches often, so I misplace it and always forget where it is. While out one day, I took it off and had hubby put it in his coat to safe keep it for me, then he forgot and off to the dry cleaners it went. I swore I thought I lost it, but then when we went to pick up the coat, surprisingly enough, it was still in the pocket. I couldn't believe it!! I was so happy I didn't lose it.

Sorry about your ring, but it's wonderful you've found a replacement that makes you equally happy.

Mine also involves a ring. I was on vacation in Italy and on our last day, just before we checked out of our hotel, I went to the bathroom and I had the habit of taking my rings off when washing my hands. It was a Bvlgari RG ring and I left it in the bathroom and left the hotel. I suddenly realised in the car that I had left it when we were well on our way to the airport! So I called the hotel immediately and luckily the cleaner already handed it in! What an honest person and together with the wonder lady at the reception, my ring found its way home to me the next day!

After that, I don't take off my rings when I wash my hands outside my home or office any more.

Thank goodness for honest people!

I've lost several gold earrings, both studs and hoops. Not sure why, maybe because I have long hair and it catches on the earring? This is the reason I don't buy expensive diamond studs, even though I would love some, I would be sick and forever searching if I lost one.

Also have lost a few bracelets, one of my favorites was a sterling cuff that I lost while shopping. No one turned it in unfortunately. I lost another bracelet at Lowes, and went back to search and no one had turned it in either. Now I take any nice or favorite bracelet and get a chain guard put on it.

I've never lost a ring, probably because I never take them off.

My daughter lost her 15K diamond engagement ring at the park and never found it. Just slipped off her finger somehow. She and her friends looked for hours but never found it.

My long hair is what caused my earring to drop the other day. I usually wear my hair in a bun or ponytail when I wear those earrings, but I didn't do that for some reason. Lesson learned.

Regarding your daughters ring: :faint:

I lost my class ring 12 years ago at a tanning salon. I was trying to get a bit of color before my wedding. I always took off my rings and placed them in the heel of my shoe - somehow I missed putting my class ring on. I noticed it as soon as I started to drive out of the parking lot. I stopped and went back in the salon and there was someone else in the room I had used.

The staff informed me it was no big deal she was a regular and they knew her well that it would still be there. It wasn't. I asked if I could look the room over myself and was told yes when they closed. I returned at midnight with a huge flash light - spent 45 mins tearing the place apart. I never saw it again.

That's ridiculous that they made you wait like that. Anything could have happened in that time. So sorry to hear that.

Glad to hear it wasn't stolen. I had a necklace that I wore all the time, and I took it off and told my husband to put it in my purse after I was in a car accident (I needed to remove my jewelry for a CT scan). When I got home, I looked for it in my purse and I couldn't find it. My bag wasn't zipped all the way, so I thought it was lost somewhere on the way home from the hospital. I ended up cutting my losses and replacing it. Almost a year later, I was cleaning out the same purse I used that day, and I felt something in the lining. I pulled it out, and it was my necklace! The necklace had blood on it, and I think the blood had "glued" it to the lining of the bag in the bottom of a pocket.

Sounds like what happened to Carrie Bradshaw in the last episode of SATC haha! :smile:

My wedding ring is a little loose on my ring finger so iusually put it on the middle finger, but that day it was placed on my ring finger.i thought I gained weight so...anyway, i was using it while Iwas working and then when were coming home, i felt that my hand is light. I really shrieked when I realize that my ring was missing. My colleagues helped me then. One thought of checking a bundle I have been last working on. She found it as soon as she opened it. Iwas so happy! She told me if the next shift would find it the ff day, I would even be in trouble for leaving the ring! Lol

Been lucky so far, mostly because my jewellery doesn't get out much. Have had a couple of near misses though.

Last month I took some diamond jewellery out of the bank. Usually I wear the pieces home for security. This time I didn't bother and left them in their plastic baggies. When I got home I handed the diamond bracelet to my husband and just as he took hold of it the link beside the clasp broke and the bracelet fell to the ground. Neither of us had our fingers anywhere near the catch.

If I'd been wearing it for sure it would have been gone.

Then years ago when I was in a shop one of my colleagues picked up a watch from among some piles of sweaters saying she didn't know the shop sold watches. It was my Tag Heuer sport watch which must have just fallen off my wrist. I was so lucky as the metal bracelet had recently been replaced with a leather band and the pins which had not been replaced had lost their spring.

Oh my God. All those stories are bad but the diamond studs! How horrible!

Yeah :sad: I lust for studs so badly still. I have a mental block against expensive earrings ever since that happened. Hopefully one day I'll have a new set. I finally caved and bought a couple of small Tiffany earring pairs to start changing it up.

I have a ring my mom gave me. Its an old diamond ring. We were planning on moving and so when I checked my jewelry box, it was missing. That was strange because if I don't wear it, it just stays in the box and if I laid it somewhere, I always know where. Im not careless with my jewelry. I searched for it inside my jewelry box including the boxes inside and I cant see it. It should be some sort of a mean prank because if it was a thief everything should be gone right? I told this to my aunt and she said, who would get it? I again search my jewelry box to no avail. When my hubby arrived, he did the same. It should only be there since I didn't use it for weeks. We transferred to our new home the following day and guess what? I look again in the jewelry box Ive searched lots of times and I saw it in one of the boxes inside. I swear Ive looked at it like 3 times even my hubby look at it. Its a small jewelry box for a ring. You would open it and you should see the ring right away. I was right. It was an inside guy. I had a feeling who did it but Its difficult to just accuse someone. But we were sure who did it. He just wanted to tire myself searching for it. Its such a childish thing to do.

I have a ring my mom gave me. Its an old diamond ring. We were planning on moving and so when I checked my jewelry box, it was missing. That was strange because if I don't wear it, it just stays in the box and if I laid it somewhere, I always know where. Im not careless with my jewelry. I searched for it inside my jewelry box including the boxes inside and I cant see it. It should be some sort of a mean prank because if it was a thief everything should be gone right? I told this to my aunt and she said, who would get it? I again search my jewelry box to no avail. When my hubby arrived, he did the same. It should only be there since I didn't use it for weeks. We transferred to our new home the following day and guess what? I look again in the jewelry box Ive searched lots of times and I saw it in one of the boxes inside. I swear Ive looked at it like 3 times even my hubby look at it. Its a small jewelry box for a ring. You would open it and you should see the ring right away. I was right. It was an inside guy. I had a feeling who did it but Its difficult to just accuse someone. But we were sure who did it. He just wanted to tire myself searching for it. Its such a childish thing to do.
What?! :shocked:

He did it because he wants me to look for it like a fool..he knows how I love my jewelry...maybe something like a goodbye present to us..its scary that he comes in our room when we're not around..until now I get pissed thinking about it..im just glad to have my ring back...

My diamond stud earrings were stolen when I had a nose bleed at my dorm. We had a shared bathroom with two more people who enjoyed entertaining... Not so proper people if you catch my drift. No one ever turned it in and I had a lazy RA who didn't want to do the police report write up. I don't think I'll have earrings of that color and clarity and size for until my late 20s or most likely 30s. :sad:

My Tiffany arrow pendant fell off days later, I was sold a faulty piece with a broken clasp. I'm sure the sales associate knew bc I had trouble with the clasp. That was hell to deal with.

I was forced to loan a distant cousin my Tiffany bee necklace and have yet to have it returned... I've had other family mishaps of jewelry I was supposed to inherit too.

It sickens me to think of the total amount of money lost over the years... :sad:

Those are such sucky, unfortunate stories:sad: did you ever get your bee pendant back?